Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

2017 C-Max projector headlights U.S. model

headlights leds aesthetics

18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Cnk789

Cnk789

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 11 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 303A

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:50 AM

I was on the Ford website yesterday and noticed the 2017 C-Max will come with projector headlights. I looked on the Ford parts website and didn't see a listing for a part number yet. From the photos on the Ford website it looks as if the headlight housing have the same external shape. I'm looking forward to a part number, as I'm sure these will be a plugin play swap unlike the euro model version. I've already replaced every halogen bulb with LEDs with the exception of the headlights, don't want to blind other oncoming drivers with the glare. These new headlights should be a big improvement of the reflector headlights in both functionality and aesthetics.

Nathan

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 550 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:22 AM

I just wish they had upgraded all the way to LEDs like for the Fusion!

#3 OFFLINE   MaxLB

MaxLB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max NRG

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:52 PM

There's no guarantee that projectors will be better than the reflectors we have.  My G1 Volt had projectors and they totally sucked.  Personally I think the lighting on the CMax is perfectly fine, even totally stock.

#4 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 550 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:33 AM

There's no guarantee that projectors will be better than the reflectors we have.  My G1 Volt had projectors and they totally sucked.  Personally I think the lighting on the CMax is perfectly fine, even totally stock.

This is true.  I am happy with how well my wife's works even though they are halogen...

#5 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,217 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:09 PM

If you think they aren't bright enough, try adding the fog lights, they fill in all the gaps.

I have no complaints with the Cmax lights, they work well for me.

-=>Raja.

#6 OFFLINE   Cnk789

Cnk789

• 11 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 06:44 PM

I wish they would have upgraded to full LED lights as well. I'm coming from a VW that had projector HIDs low beam, coupled with LED projector Fog lights, and LED high beams. The C-Max does have decent lighting for halogen lights, but it doesn't light the road up like a good set of projectors with HIDs or a full LED headlight array. However, for me the halogens are more of an aesthetic compliant than functionality. 

Attached Files

#7 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationcentral
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max energi, Fusion Ti Hy, Mustang GT, Triumph TR7

Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:16 AM

Our roads are not smooth enough for projectors I have on my Fusion.  As the roads dip and bump the projectors throw light everywhere but down the road.  I wish it had the same design as my c-max, it shines lights down the road and I can see the deer and other wildlife much better before I hit them.  :smile2:

#8 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 550 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 26 December 2016 - 03:05 AM

Anyone try OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited or Philips X-tremeVision replacements?  Seems like worth a shot first...

BTW-  The fordparts.com site has 2017 C-MAX listed and the headlights are there, but even after I added a pair to the shopping cart I can't see the part number.  $416.90 each list price!  (Could probably save 10% or so with online purchase and local pickup...)

Edited by jzchen, 26 December 2016 - 03:25 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 550 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:33 AM

From the "masters of lighting" themselves:

Best lighting upgrade, '14/'13 Ford C-MAX.

In those reflector headlamps, the best-performing upgrade is this bulb for the low beams and [url=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QJWTQOE/?tag=2402507-20] the matching H1 for the high beam.

[url="https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.candlepowerforums.com%2Fvb%2Fshowpost.php%3Fp%3D5022702&share_tid=427640&share_fid=19597&share_type=t&share_pid=5022702"]https://r.tapatalk.c...are_pid=5022702

Edited by jzchen, 27 December 2016 - 08:34 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 550 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:36 AM

Oops. Links aren't correct! Sorry!!!

Best lighting upgrade, '14/'13 Ford C-MAX.

https://r.tapatalk.c...are_pid=5022702

#11 OFFLINE   Cnk789

Cnk789

• 11 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:22 PM

I haven't tried the Philips X-treme vision bulbs, but I have tried the Sylvania SilverStar Ultras in an F350  that I own. The bulbs did make a nice difference in the truck's lighting output. I installed those in both the headlights and fog lights.  I thought about doing it in the C-Max as well, but then saw that the new model year would have projectors. I did some additional research, the new 2017 projectors that the C-Max will have are only being produced with Halogen bulbs inside, not HID. I think that's ridiculous. Projectors do much better with HIDs or LEDs placed in them, not Halogen bulbs. I'm still considering the upgrade to the Projectors if I can install some high quality HID or LED main beams. If not, I'll probably just stick with the stock reflector housings, and through in the Sylvania SilverStar Ultra bulbs that I've had success with in other applications or the Philips X-tremeVision bulbs that jzchen mentioned. 

#12 OFFLINE   Cnk789

Cnk789

• 11 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:53 PM

These look like an option for the fog lights   http://blackflamecus...to-xb-led-fogs/ .   These guys have also made someone a custom set of projectors for the C-Max http://blackflamecustoms.com/2013-ford-c-max-hid-projector-conversion-headlights/   . I inquired for a cost of a retrofit just like the one on their page, as well as to see if it would be possible to assemble an all LED headlight array (high and low beam). 

#13 Guest_RandalllPneus_*

Guest_RandalllPneus_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:04 AM

hids? i think you talking about projector headlights...? its a pretty basic bolt on install... 3 bolts

#14 OFFLINE   Cnk789

Cnk789

• 11 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:55 AM

I'm referring to the stock 2017 projector headlights for the C-Max. I don't want to install HID or LEDs if it means cutting holes in the rear headlight cover for an HID ballast for example. Most of the kits today are pretty much plug-in-play, so it should be a problem. 

#15 OFFLINE   jtespi

jtespi

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:26 AM

Does anyone know where to purchase the new OEM 2017 C-Max headlights? I'd rather not spend $400 for each headlight; so any 3rd party headlights with a similar styling to the 2017 models would be good. Ideally, the max I would like to spend would be around $400 for both (maybe $500). 

I have a 2016 C-Max Hybrid and I would really like to have LED DRLs and a projector (LED?) low beam headlight. I would prefer not to put LED bulbs in the current headlight housing because it is mainly designed for incandescent bulbs and utilizes reflectors. So far, I haven't found any 3rd party options that include LED DRLs or anything similar.

Thanks,

#16 OFFLINE   Cnk789

Cnk789

• 11 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:10 PM

jtespi, I've also looked for aftermarket headlights. The only aftermarket headlights that I've found are OEM replacements (the reflector housings). The 2017 Ford headlights with LED DRL and Projectors isn't available yet. I've talked with several Ford parts representatives regarding this. On the Ford parts website you can add them to the cart, but unfortunately at the moment, the site adds the 2016 headlights to the cart (same part number as the 2013-2016). I imagine in a few weeks the correct part number will be placed on the Fordparts website. I'm sure they'll still be $450 ish each though. The only other option I know of, is to order the European version with the projector. However, this route will require a bit of wiring as the connectors on the Euro version have two more pins I believe. One neat thing about the Euro projectors though is that they are self leveling, and have better cut off points. You'll get better lighting from the Euro lights, but they won't be USDOT compliant. As far as LEDs in the stock reflector housings, I wouldn't do it. They'll create lots of glare to oncoming drivers. 

On a side note, I purchased the Philips XtremeVision bulbs for the fogs, low, and high beams. I will say they are brighter and have a slightly whiter color to them. However, they still don't have the lumens and general light on the road that a good set of HIDs or LEDs would have in a good projector housing.

Regards,

Nathan

#17 OFFLINE   jtespi

jtespi

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:30 PM

A month later and no updates, anyone, on availability? I'd really like to get LED DRLs without having to modify, glue things, or splice into wires; the new 2017 model headlights seem perfect. But availability and price are a huge factor. Why are they so expensive? A third-gen (from around 2011) Toyota Tacoma headlights cost $250 for a pair. Why are these headlights 3 times as expensive?

#18 OFFLINE   Cnk789

Cnk789

• 11 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:32 AM

I check the Ford Parts website again. Still seems to be the old part number for the non projector lights. Even the image shows the reflector housing. I'm waiting a bit longer for Ford to update the site. I don't want to order the same lights I already have. I agree, the price is a little steep for halogen headlights, projector or not. Ford, in my opinion should be going with full LED array headlights now. That technology has dramatically dropped in price and would go down even further if they would just come standard on all new cars.

#19 OFFLINE   astrand1

astrand1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationDetroit
  • Current Vehicle:Me= 2014 C-Max Energi 302a, White platinum metallic. wife= 2014 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:30 PM

I was at a ford dealer getting my oil changed and they had a couple 17 coax energis on the lot. It looks like the headlights should fit in our cars. The shape looks identical to ours. On a side note I really like the new rims on the 17. They are sharp!

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: headlights, leds, aesthetics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·