Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Ultra low mileage being reported

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GlennR

GlennR

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationBrampton
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 2016

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:50 PM

Over the last few days of cold weather, when the ICE comes on to keep the car warm, the mileage projections reported in the application are down to 13 to 16 mpg. I'm sure that can't be right as the car is not left idling or anything like that. Is this a normal report or do I need to take it into the dealer to get checked out? Even straight gas ought to be closer to 40 mpg...

The trips have been very short, less than a couple of kilometers typically and are running around 80% EV.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,184 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:07 PM

That's the penalties of the cold and the very short running of the gas engine (ICE) during these short trips.  At those temperatures, the ICE is spending most of its operating time running at warm-up speeds with a very rich fuel-to-air ratio to get up to operating temps as quickly as possible and not really propelling the car.

Yes it sucks but you'll recoup big savings during your mild warm seasons when the a/c loads aren't very high compare to us way down south.  It's your year around average that matters.

Edited by fotomoto, 11 December 2016 - 05:17 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:30 AM

If the heater (or AC) is on and drawing from the HVB, the miles available drop because it calculates based on the current energy draw the miles available. Once you turn off the accessory, the estimated miles available will go back up.

#4 OFFLINE   Hackster

Hackster

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 79 posts
  • LocationGTA
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 2016

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:16 AM

My first winter in the C-Max as well. To deal with fogging of the glass in around freezing temperatures and with people in the back complaining about cracked windows, I find that hitting the "floor" button often generates enough air flow out of defrost vents to clear the windshield. If not, adding "windshield" direction to "floor" accelerates the process and I have not had ICE come on yet when running "floor+windshield", even with climate temp. set to 18C  and the electric heater element draw going into 5KW+ (briefly, before I get to dial it down to "Lo" setting").

Edited by Hackster, 12 December 2016 - 06:46 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:15 PM

with people in the back complaining about cracked windows

HA!   :lol:

-=>Raja.

#6 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:07 AM

Over the last few days of cold weather, when the ICE comes on to keep the car warm, the mileage projections reported in the application are down to 13 to 16 mpg. I'm sure that can't be right as the car is not left idling or anything like that. Is this a normal report or do I need to take it into the dealer to get checked out? Even straight gas ought to be closer to 40 mpg...

The trips have been very short, less than a couple of kilometers typically and are running around 80% EV.

Good for you if you can get 40mpg out of straight gas.  Mine likes to be more like 35 in nice summer weather.  Winter time, I've seen it closer to 25mpg.

EV MPGe on mine on straight electric goes from somewhere around 150mpg to down around 100mpg.

If you've got the heat turned on at all when the temp gauge isn't at least clearing the bottom marker and possibly close to mid range then your using electrons to heat water.  And when the gas engine runs at all and isn't up to mid range on the temp gauge then it's not running very efficiently either.

#7 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:19 PM

My first winter in the C-Max as well. To deal with fogging of the glass in around freezing temperatures and with people in the back complaining about cracked windows, I find that hitting the "floor" button often generates enough air flow out of defrost vents to clear the windshield. If not, adding "windshield" direction to "floor" accelerates the process and I have not had ICE come on yet when running "floor+windshield", even with climate temp. set to 18C  and the electric heater element draw going into 5KW+ (briefly, before I get to dial it down to "Lo" setting").

If it's not too cold and you don't need heat, try turning the temp all the way down to low, then use the defroster. Since it's not calling for heat, it won't switch to the ICE and will give you air flow on the windshield and out of the small vents pointed at the front side windows.

#8 OFFLINE   GlennR

GlennR

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationBrampton
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 2016

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:39 PM

I can't believe the figures reported are correct as it is showing 10 mpg for some short trips. Not even a truck with only an ICE would be that bad. This car isn't that big and even straight ICE ought to be giving better mileage than that. I have to think the software is just not accurate in these conditions. 

#9 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:37 PM

I drove from my office to the cafe 1 mile away and it said 27 mpg. On the way back I was able to stay in EV the whole way since the battery was full and it said 999.99mpg.

#10 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:12 AM

I can't believe the figures reported are correct as it is showing 10 mpg for some short trips. Not even a truck with only an ICE would be that bad. This car isn't that big and even straight ICE ought to be giving better mileage than that. I have to think the software is just not accurate in these conditions. 

I dunno, everyone's cars and circumstances are different, but if you've got bad conditions, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you could get it down to 10mpg.  Plenty of other trucks and cars get at least that bad in bad circumstances.  And the C-Max is not exactly a super efficient vehicle and WAY less so once it gets cold.  Unless you've plugged off the front of your vehicle, from what i'm seeing, it basically only ever starts getting towards it's operating temperature going up hills.  Once that's done it's pretty much cooling off again.

Sure, you CAN get some decent mileage out of it if you play around a lot with it and don't use any heat at all, but driving it at all like any normal person would, it's not going to be at the temp it should be and mileage tanks HUGELY.

For me I have about a 13 mile commute each way which is somewhat downhill in the morning and uphill back home.  I've gone from a normal of getting to work on maybe battery only with maybe 45% left and then getting another maybe 3ish miles on electric on the way home before the engine kicks in to the last couple days where the battery is pretty much used up when I get to work in the morning and the gas engine has been running just about the whole time as well.

#11 OFFLINE   astrand1

astrand1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationDetroit
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Me= 2014 C-Max Energi 302a, White platinum metallic. wife= 2014 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:46 PM

It was -1 here last night and today it made it up to 18. With it this cold I don't even care about mpg I want to be warm. Lol. That said I do preheat on the plug use the go times when I'm able. So I'm still staying around 40 ish mpg. And that's fine with me. 👍

#12 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:49 AM

I'm with you; I'm done shivering.

#13 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:24 AM

I came back yesterday from NC to NY via 81 in VA.  Lots of mountains, the roads in NC were all up and down like rolling hills, and the temps were in the 20's the whole day and night.  Still managed over 42mpg which is pretty damn good for this car.  If it was 77 degrees out or so, I would probably net around 48mpg.

-=>Raja.

#14 OFFLINE   astrand1

astrand1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationDetroit
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Me= 2014 C-Max Energi 302a, White platinum metallic. wife= 2014 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 17 December 2016 - 05:43 PM

I'm with you; I'm done shivering.

Right! I figure gas is still cheap and even not trying I'm staying around 40ish so once it warms up again then I'll get back into it. 😁

#15 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:05 AM

Raja, good thing you weren't coming back on Saturday, everything was a mess in VA. Freezing rain and not well treated roads. Solid sheets of ice the first half of day.
A tanker truck slid off an overpass and exploded on 495. It was downhill and not many were able to stop before the fire

#16 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:56 AM

Oh yeah Josh I checked the weather and my buddy wanted me to stay another day in NC but I knew I had to leave on Friday if I was going to beat the bad weather.   I didn't even want to challenge my Maxie with any bad weather, tires are original now 61k miles not worthy of any snow or ice.

Check out Friday night, surrounded by snow and the only escape was to the east.  I got to NY by midnight and next morning Maxie was all covered and the roads were pretty slippery I have not moved it since then.  Today is a good wash out day to get rid of the salt and clear the way for me to go home next week.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 18 December 2016 - 06:57 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:56 AM

Nice. Today it got up to 65 degrees. I'm pretty sure mother nature is just messing with us.

#18 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:37 PM

Raja, It got to 70 here today in NC. You should have stayed in the south just a bit longer.

Tom

#19 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:09 PM

It NY its pretty warm today, I washed the car with the hose that was frozen, I had to kink it back and forth where the ice was to loosen it up and after a few minutes of trickle it finally blasted the ice out and I was able to use it.  Wanted to get any salt off of Maxie.

-=>Raja.

#20 OFFLINE   abcmax

abcmax

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCa central coast
  • Current Vehicle:C max energi

Posted 18 December 2016 - 07:09 PM

Also my first winter with the Max and I cannot compete with extreme cold as many of you expect. However using defrost,lighting and wipers has caused me stagnation milage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·