Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Trying To Make Sense Of The Numbers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   garymkrieg

garymkrieg

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSeattle
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid Energi

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:36 AM

I have a 2015 Fusion Energi.  My quest is to know what fuel mileage I'm getting when the engine is running and also determine how many miles I drove using the engine, with the battery helping of course.  Here are the numbers when I filled up yesterday putting in 12.1 gallons:

Trip 1

2689.3 mi     448.0EV

239.1 MPG   541 kWh

We know that the numbers go back to zero when you reach 999.  We know that 448 EV is not correct because that would mean that I got over 180 mpg when the engine was running, ie (2689-448)/12. If we add 1000 to the EV number making it 1448 it yields an average over 100 MPG, ie (2689-1448)/12, again probably not accurate. So let's add another 1000 to the EV giving me 2448. That gives an average about 20 MPG when the engine is running. Using that information 12 gallons x 20MPG gives me the fact that the engine was running for about 240 miles.

Am I thinking about this correctly? The last scenario where I used 2448 EV miles yields a miles / kW of 4.5 and with a 7+kW battery it means that I averaged 31 miles per full discharge, which sounds high to me.  What am I doing wrong?

Gary

Edited by garymkrieg, 10 December 2016 - 07:56 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,721 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:02 AM

Need more information.  Did you ever reset the trip meter?  How many total miles on the car?  Is this the first time you put gas in the car for 12.1 gallons?  2391 mpg sounds high so the only way to get there with 12 gallons total is to drive over 30k miles.

-=>Raja.

#3 OFFLINE   ls973800

ls973800

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:Replaced Ford Edge

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:44 AM

Like rbort mentioned, reset your trip 1 display whenever you recharge the car.  This keeps track of how many miles were driven using the battery and how many were driven using the engine.  It will also display the average mpg for trip 1 only.

I reset trip 2 only when I refill the car with fuel.  This keeps track of how many miles were driven on battery and gasoline, and how many kw were used in total for that period between fuel fill ups and resetting trip 2. It also shows the average mpg for that tank of fuel. I don't know at what point the trip 2 will revert back to 0, perhaps when you hit 9999 miles showing on the trip display?

There are also two trip 1 displays, one that shows the total mile EV range remaining, and the other which is the one I reset after every battery recharge.  Resetting the one trip 1 display also removes any miles showing on the other trip 1 other than ev range.

Resetting trip 2 has no effect on either trip 1 data.  In the car display itself, my lifetime average mpg is displayed and I have never seen it reset even after resetting trip 1 or trip 2 displays.  I think it would only reset if the battery were disconnected?  My 2015 lifetime average mpg is between 73 and 74 mpg.

#4 OFFLINE   garymkrieg

garymkrieg

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSeattle
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid Energi

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:59 AM

I use Trip 1 for a fill-up to fill-up tracker and Trip 2 for the lifetime of the car. Attached is the Trip 1 display. The Trip 1 was reset the last time I bought gas on 7/28/2016. Raja I see your confusion now the MPG should have been 239.1 not 2391, I corrected it. Even with that change I still question the numbers.

Gary

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·