Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Screeching scraping sound when braking/decelerating and turning

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pknorton

pknorton

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Locationwisconsin
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:c max energi

Posted 10 November 2016 - 05:58 PM

We just bought a 2013 c-max energy yesterday with 22,000 miles and it makes a screeching scraping sound when you slow down, brake and it might be worse when turning. I am waiting to hear back from dealer but just wondering if anybody has any thoughts?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,276 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 10 November 2016 - 06:32 PM

Hello and :welcome: 

Brakes can make noise for many reasons but hybrids add an extra scenario due to their regeneration abilities.  Regen braking is actually done by an electric motor used it against itself turning it into a generator of electricity that is fed back into the battery (COOL!).  This also slows the car down without using the traditional friction brake pads and rotors.  Unused or lightly used rotors develop surface rust in humid and/or cool conditions and can squeal upon initial use.  This can also make for a grabby/abrupt feeling even under light pedal application.   Try driving at higher speeds and brake hard then see if the brakes still squeal on the next application.

#3 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 681 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 11 November 2016 - 07:35 AM

We just bought a 2013 c-max energy yesterday with 22,000 miles and it makes a screeching scraping sound when you slow down, brake and it might be worse when turning. I am waiting to hear back from dealer but just wondering if anybody has any thoughts?

You've just met your friction brakes,  "Hello friction brakes, nice to hear you" :happy feet: 

#4 OFFLINE   S70Pilot

S70Pilot

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationGTA
  • Current Vehicle:Ford CMax Energi

Posted 11 November 2016 - 10:59 AM

Ditto to the comments above.. cause the brakes are seldom used (regen braking), water and moisture caused the brake to rust a bit.  Also, coupled with the quietness of the car under EV, every other sounds becomes magnified.   Yes I hear those sounds too, usually when I parked the car overnight and the first few hundred meters after I start to drive the car in the morning.  After the car brakes a few times (hard) the sound is gone (likely due to clearing out of moisture and rust)

#5 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,280 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 11 November 2016 - 01:41 PM

I'm not really sure what you guys are talking about, brakes should not be screeching and scraping.  I have my Cmax now 3 1/3 years and I never hear any loud noises when I use the brakes, and many times I use regen braking I hardly use the brake, but they do engage with every stop below 5mph.  If I want to hear them I have to turn off the radio and listen very carefully, and you can hear the car transition from regen braking to friction brake (pads) the last few feet.  That sounds like a scrape, but its very low sound you have to listen carefully to pick it up.

Maybe the original poster has worn pads, and they are now metal on metal hence why all the loud noises.  I would check into it.  Brakes are easy to service, you can even do it yourself if you have the will.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 11 November 2016 - 01:42 PM.

• cr08 likes this

#6 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,276 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:12 PM

I'm not really sure what you guys are talking about, brakes should not be screeching and scraping. 

I've had 8 hybrids and this (cold brakes) is a well known issue specific to them.   I've also had high performance motorcycle brake pads with heavy metal content that were both noisy and caused high rotor wear rates.  

I didn't suggest it might be the usual brake problems/issues since the OP only has 22k miles.  

#7 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,280 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 11 November 2016 - 06:14 PM

Yes Doug but I have the Cmax and 57k miles later my brakes never made any noise, so something is not normal.

-=>Raja.

#8 OFFLINE   bobs

bobs

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax Energi

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:27 AM

Both my cmax and privious escape hybrid both have scrapping sounds until a few hard stops are made. No screeching though.

BTW mine lives outside so that could be the difference with rbort's.

Bob

#9 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 681 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:41 AM

I'm not really sure what you guys are talking about, brakes should not be screeching and scraping.

-=>Raja.

I'm not sure it's screeching, but I have heard my brake make an audible scraping noise, that if you are not expecting, may sound excessive.  But agreed, it is just from the lack of use on the friction pads, where rust and gunk may be present.

#10 OFFLINE   Quake97

Quake97

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLansdale, PA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:42 AM

Had something similar, maybe, after driving on a gravel road. Got a small stone/sock James in between some metal housing and the brake rotor. It was an amazing noise and worse when turning. If it's one wheel, maybe take it off and inspect. Mine was easy to find.

Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·