Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Audio upgrade 2013 cmax base system

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cmaxman79

cmaxman79

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Locationmd
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:cmax

Posted 04 November 2016 - 07:37 AM

Hey guys I got around to upgrade the headunit system in the 2013 base audio system. I replaced the dash using the metra kit  http://metraonline.com/part/99-5833BI used the metra XSVI-5524 wire harness and 40-EU10 Antenna adapter. since these cars have a hidden amplifier behind the glove box, you will have to tap the speaker output to get sound. As if you hook up the radio speaker leads to the wire harness, the sound will have distortion and will damage the speakers. this is due to the the leads being digital into the amp. you need the leads after or post amp to correct the sound. so you can run speaker leads from the aftermarket radio to the output  leads of the amp so your directly connected to all speakers. leave this connector unplug (16 pin ) as you will now be bypassing the oem amplifier. I decided to use an small aftermarket amp instead of the headunit power (22w x 4). I used the  Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack which will give me 45 x 4. this was mounted behind the glove box as well. It shares the same power from the headunit, so no need to run a power wire to the battery. Sound was improve dramatically by just changing headint and adding this small amp. Attached File  20161102_174314_zpshmxszxij.JPG   200.87KB   3 downloadsAttached File  20161102_133651_zpsoe6dgduo.JPG   132.53KB   3 downloadsAttached File  20161102_164704_zpssx5wlodi.JPG   179.61KB   3 downloads

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   62Lincoln

62Lincoln

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:In Transition

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:54 AM

Congrats on the install, and thank you for sharing what you've done. Does you car have Automatic Noise Cancellation? I know that runs through the factory amp, so if you have it, I'm curious about how the car sounds without it. 

So, if I'm understanding your post correctly, you are now running:  aftermarket radio>aftermarket amp>factory wiring connector>factory speaker wires>factory speakers

Is that correct?

The install of the amp looks very clean, the wiring appearance is outstanding! How did you mount the amp in there?

Edited by 62Lincoln, 06 November 2016 - 09:56 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   mitrals

mitrals

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 160 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationChicago IL
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Energi

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:59 PM

That looks great. I am trying to upgrade my sound as well. Just want to install the amp you have with the factory head unit. Did it affect anc? Anything else I need to worry about? Do you recommend a loc?

#4 OFFLINE   ald16

ald16

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationMS
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:35 AM

Resurrecting a long-dead thread here, on the off chance someone else has addressed this question...I'm looking at replacing the basic sync unit (4.2 inch screen) in my 16 hybrid using the Metra dash kit as above. Most after market head units I'm looking at have a larger fuse on the unit itself (10 A in this case) than the 7.5 A that the stock head unit seems to use at the fusebox. My question is whether 7.5 A is enough? Has the OP or anyone else who has done a smiler conversion worried about that or not? If so, what are the options?

#5 OFFLINE   ald16

ald16

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationMS
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:42 AM

So, I solved my own problem. I was looking at the wrong fuse so you can ignore that question. The actual radio power is 15A so good to go. If anyone is interested, I have now completed a change of the base SYNC unit. I wrote it all up and posted here with a couple of pictures:

http://fordcmaxhybri...ent-in-2016-se/

Bottom line, it is very doable. You can avoid the problems noted by the OP above by using the Maestro Rr module, which will also let you keep steering wheel controls and allows use of the stock amplifier. Takes a bit of time but well worth it. I now have a 7 inch touch screen head unit with CarPlay, bluetooth that actually works, a reversing camera, and detailed tire pressure and other gauge info. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·