Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Interesting Feature Of Temp Guage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:23 PM

I realize that a lot of folks don't use the electric heat, but I found out something I'd not noticed before. When running in EV and using the heater, the temperature gauge shows how warm the electric heat lines are. The temperature rises just like it was monitoring the ICE. When switching to ICE on the freeway, it reverts to normal monitor of the ICE temp.

Not a huge thing, but one of the first new things I've seen in a long time.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,974 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:59 PM

Hi Steve:

I think it monitors the coolant that is used for the heater.  It will rise slightly when the temp in that coolant gets hot.  That's normal.  Then, start the engine while its "up" and you will see it go down right away.  Why?  Because the engine circulates all the coolant and the little hot section that you had gets mixed up with the rest of the cold stuff and the temp drops instantly.  Now if you didn't mean to start the engine, then you can stop and turn it off, but now you have to wait a while again to reheat the coolant trapped in the heater core area.  

I think the engine temp sensor is in the heater core area, so it always measures from that point.  Its not switching back and forth to measure the engine, the engine just mixes everything around and warms up the entire coolant.  

Hope that makes sense.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 03 November 2016 - 07:59 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 831 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 04 November 2016 - 04:59 AM

Yeah, the electric heater just warms the same coolant that the ICE uses so when the water gets up to around 100F then it's enough to show on the temp gauge.

There's nothing "separate" as far as electric vs. ICE heat generation in the coolant or monitoring.

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,974 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 04 November 2016 - 05:09 AM

Now here is a funny one, if its really hot outside, I've seen the coolant temperature up about an 1/8th from the bottom without even using the engine or the heat!!  My buddy Ansy verified the same thing on his Cmax.

By the way, here is a graph showing where the coolant temperature sensor is:

http://fordcmaxenerg...odes#entry16386

Check post #10 in that thread.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 04 November 2016 - 07:05 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,221 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 04 November 2016 - 01:11 PM

Now here is a funny one, if its really hot outside, I've seen the coolant temperature up about an 1/8th from the bottom without even using the engine or the heat!!  My buddy Ansy verified the same thing on his Cmax.

My scangauge shows me that the (unused) ICE temp usually stays within a degree or two of ambient.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·