Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Protecting the HVB capacity during the hot NC summer of 2016.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,725 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:10 AM

I had my wife plug it in this morning when she woke up, and I unplugged it when I woke up.  Its a 92% now and the fan was racing again I figured 92 is enough to go to Foxboro and come back, its about 9 miles each way plus I need to take her to the chiropractor on the way in Franklin.  I'm thinking I may not charge it there in Foxboro while in the heat, but later on the way home if I need to I can stop at the big Y after its dark and charge it some then before getting home.

I am posting this picture to show the hybrid range, its remarkable for in town hybrid driving.  I filled the tank yesterday and the more I drive hybrid in town the more it goes up.  I think I had it as high as 752 miles range, then when you go on the highway at 66mph it drops due to drag, in that case at least 100 miles range less, in the area of 587 to 632 depending on OAT and hills or no hills at 66 cruise.

Edit:  Tom, in this kind of hot weather it might be best to drive your ranger instead during the heat of the day and save the Cmax for evening rides.  That's what I usually try to do here, I hate going out in the middle of the day with the baking sun, especially if I'm going out to charge somewhere also.  Go later when the sun is fading if I don't have to go earlier, for example go to the supermarket (big-Y) after dinner and plug in there while shopping.

-=>Raja.

Attached Files

Edited by rbort, 18 May 2017 - 07:16 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:51 AM

My example was a test on EV usage for the same round trip with and without AC. As a practical matter I do often use EV Later early in my trips due to the upslope nature of the drive then EV home during warm weather or if I already have some heat built up in the HVB. During the hot summer weather I often drive whole trips in EV Later to protect the HVB from damage. 

As for using the Ranger it is a good option for hot weather driving if I only have one of the Grandkids to carry as only one car seat fits.  So it is not a great solution and it only gets half the milage of the C-Max in Hybrid mode. Gas cost is not a huge deal at the current prices but it is a factor. 

Tom

#43 OFFLINE   bdginmo

bdginmo

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Fusion Energi

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:27 AM

I did a 250 mile drive yesterday entirely in hybrid mode with 0% SoC with a high of 84F yesterday and the HVB temperature got up to 98F. I was a little surprised by that. Now that I have a ScanGauge I can help contribute with some HVB temperature reports of my own.

#44 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,725 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:11 PM

Sitting in the garage untouched, as it gets hotter during the day, the charge level has risen from 92% to 95%.  Take a look at the new image, I haven't moved the car yet.

Will be leaving shortly to Foxboro, its 98 degrees outside right now. 

-=>Raja.

Attached Files

#45 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,725 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:01 PM

It is HOT in my garage, maybe 90.  I plugged the car in a few minutes ago, turned it on and turned on the AC to cool it down with recirculate.  I'll unplug at 5:05 and drive off already with the AC drawing 1/2 bar.  Better this way on the battery than draining it faster using the AC to cool the car down since I don't have a plan to start the engine anyways.

-=>Raja.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·