Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Advice Needed for C-Max Purchase

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Karl33

Karl33

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationBuffalo, NY
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Ranger

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:11 AM

I have decided to purchase a C-Max from a local dealer. The dealer has several cars to choose from. I've narrowed the choices to 2. One is 2014 Energi and the other is a 2015 Hybrid. The 2014 has 28,000 miles and the 2015 has 30,000 miles. Both are similarly equipped ( Nav system, winter package, backup camera, etc.). Is there anything I should look for that will the decision easier? Thanks for any advice.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:58 AM

If a lot of you driving is around town and you have a place to plug it in, I'd go for the Energi.  If you do a lot of highway driving and/or you have no way to plug it in to charge it on a regular basis, I'd give more consideration to the hybrid.

If you get serious about the Energi, it would be recommended to arrange for a test drive that starts out with the High Voltage Battery fully charged, and drive it long enough get it to switch over to hybrid mode.  When it switches to hybrid mode (battery icon changes and it goes from showing empty to showing nearly full,) pull over somewhere, shut the car off, and watch the trip summary on the small display to the left of the speedometer to see how much Energy was used from the battery.  A healthy battery should be right around 5.3-5.4 kWh.  If it shows much less than that, the battery may be degraded.

• RubyMax likes this

#3 OFFLINE   Karl33

Karl33

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:18 AM

My drive to work is on the highway, but not for a very long time. I probably do more short trip driving if I looked at the total picture. I do have a place to plug in at home, but it would be outdoors not very protected. Does this matter when charging?

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,980 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 23 October 2016 - 02:25 PM

It matters in the summer heat, you don't want to be out baking in the sun and trying to charge it at the same time.  In fact it might be even better all around to park it in the shade or a garage, better than letting the car bake.  Not good for HV batteries anyways.

-=>Raja.

#5 OFFLINE   Karl33

Karl33

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 23 October 2016 - 07:28 PM

I would normally charge overnight not in the hot sun. My driveway is also between two houses and has a good amount of shade in summer and winter it wouldn't apply. But, do you have to charge every night?

#6 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:37 AM

If you drive less than 10 miles per day, then you could probably get away with skipping a day of charging and still enjoy most, if not all of the benefits of a plug-in car. Since you live in an area that gets cold in the winter, you're probably going to want to plug in most days, since the Electric range is lower in the winter, especially when using the heater.

If you can't charge every day, the car still drives great as a hybrid when not charged, but if you are like most Energi drivers, you quickly get addicted to the Electric driving experience, and you become more obsessed with charging, and only want to use gas for longer trips.

The non-Energi model has a little better gear ratio to get the best MPG on longer trips at higher speeds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·