Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Bad Catalytic Converter?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Adam Juelich

Adam Juelich

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationGreen Bay, WI
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:47 AM

Hello Everyone,

Well, problem #36 on this completely unreliable vehicle.  I will never buy American again....

That said, the past week or so I've noticed a random weird droning sound from what seems to be the exhaust (intermittent).  It seems like I'm in a Civic with a cat-back exhaust system.  When I then park and get out of the vehicle I smell a weird burning smell that almost seems like an electrical burning smell.  Now, I was thinking of an electrical short but I would assume I would have worse problems and a check-engine light.  It wouldn't be the first time I had electrical issues with this but the only other 'electrical issues' that are happening are issues with the locking/unlocking with the proximity fob and the Sync system not turning on which they fixed with a re-program.

Could it be the catalytic converter?  That's the only thing that makes sense to me, although it seems a bit strange at 27,000 miles, then again, just about everything has been replaced already.  My bumper-to-bumper warranty is done in a few weeks but I, luckily, took an extended warranty on the thing which I assume will be used plenty of times.

It's getting to the point where I may trade it in and take the loss.

Thanks....

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:53 AM

I would take it back to the dealer immediately to see what's going on.  It doesn't make sense to trade it in when you just extended the warranty.  Also the car is 4 yrs old so you would expect some problems, interesting that you only have 27K mi. on it.  I have a 2013 with 138k mi. and had a few issues all covered by warranty  just like yours and I really love the CMAX, it's so much FUN to Drive! :smile2: IMO

Paul

#3 OFFLINE   Adam Juelich

Adam Juelich

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationGreen Bay, WI

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:03 PM

I would take it back to the dealer immediately to see what's going on.  It doesn't make sense to trade it in when you just extended the warranty.  Also the car is 4 yrs old so you would expect some problems, interesting that you only have 27K mi. on it.  I have a 2013 with 138k mi. and had a few issues all covered by warranty  just like yours and I really love the CMAX, it's so much FUN to Drive! :smile2: IMO

Paul

I purchased it in February as a Certified Vehicle off of a lease.  Since then it has been in the shop over 2 months total.  So far, off my head, this is what it has had done:

1. Replaced leather door applique
  2. Replaced heater box and exchange
  3. Ignition Switch
  4. Body Control Module
  5. Electric Transmission Pump
  6. All main wiring harnesses
  7. Sync has been reset and re-programmed as it wouldn't turn on

Now I have the smell, the weird exhaust note, and when I lock the door from the door lock and shut it, it intermittently unlocks itself when I am away from the car with the fob in my pocket.

It's gotten to the point where I am emailing the dealer and bringing it in for at least a few days a month.  I'd like to just take the loss and get the piece of mind back.  I had a 12 year-old vehicle with 200K miles that had 1/20th of the issues as this has had.

I'll stick with Japanese vehicles forever from now on.  I wanted to support American workers, but our engineers just don't have what it takes anymore.

Thanks.

#4 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:15 AM

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the C-Max. I think your blaming the engineers for your lemon is a bit over the top though. Your problems are very uncommon for this car but I can't blame you if you desiring to go back to a brand that you have had good luck with in the past. Hope your next car works out much better.

Tom

#5 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:53 AM

I purchased it in February as a Certified Vehicle off of a lease.  Since then it has been in the shop over 2 months total.  So far, off my head, this is what it has had done:

1. Replaced leather door applique
  2. Replaced heater box and exchange
  3. Ignition Switch
  4. Body Control Module
  5. Electric Transmission Pump
  6. All main wiring harnesses
  7. Sync has been reset and re-programmed as it wouldn't turn on

Now I have the smell, the weird exhaust note, and when I lock the door from the door lock and shut it, it intermittently unlocks itself when I am away from the car with the fob in my pocket.

It's gotten to the point where I am emailing the dealer and bringing it in for at least a few days a month.  I'd like to just take the loss and get the piece of mind back.  I had a 12 year-old vehicle with 200K miles that had 1/20th of the issues as this has had.

I'll stick with Japanese vehicles forever from now on.  I wanted to support American workers, but our engineers just don't have what it takes anymore.

Thanks.

This is the Main Reason I don't buy Used Cars and wouldn't unless I knew the people selling it.  Your 12 yr. old Civic was a automotive dinosaur compared to your Energi, not much there to go wrong.  Before My CMAX I had a 2007 FORD Focus and had no problems with it, a CMAX Energi is alot more complex car and I would imagine you are getting better MPG's too.  :smile2:  Financially you are better off keeping the CMAX until you use up the Warranty if the dealer is working to minimizing your inconvenience. IMO  Good Luck :smile2: 

Paul  

#6 OFFLINE   Adam Juelich

Adam Juelich

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationGreen Bay, WI

Posted 23 October 2016 - 06:25 PM

This is the Main Reason I don't buy Used Cars and wouldn't unless I knew the people selling it.  Your 12 yr. old Civic was a automotive dinosaur compared to your Energi, not much there to go wrong.  Before My CMAX I had a 2007 FORD Focus and had no problems with it, a CMAX Energi is alot more complex car and I would imagine you are getting better MPG's too.  :smile2:  Financially you are better off keeping the CMAX until you use up the Warranty if the dealer is working to minimizing your inconvenience. IMO  Good Luck :smile2:

Paul  

Buying new is usually not a good idea financially.

I'm fine with sticking out with the warranty.  I don't really have a choice since trading it in will lose me $6K since this car just bombs on resale value, which is why I got it at such a good price.  My extended warranty has a $100 deductible so hopefully it doesn't get to the point where it is costing me $300 a month and several rentals....

Thanks.

#7 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:17 AM

Let us know what the problem turns out to be. :smile2:

Paul

#8 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,173 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:19 PM

An issue with catcon would throw a code.  Is there one (CEL)?

• ptjones likes this

#9 OFFLINE   Adam Juelich

Adam Juelich

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationGreen Bay, WI

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:34 PM

An issue with catcon would throw a code.  Is there one (CEL)?

No codes.

Something is burning, not sure what yet.  No CEL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·