Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Field Service Action 15N04 - EMBEDDED MODEM REPLACEMENT

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 248 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:48 AM

I tried to get mine replaced, but Ford wouldn't ship the part for several weeks...

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 177 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX Energi

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:24 AM

Got my swap scheduled for this coming Monday, Nov. 7. My dealership needs a day for whatever reason, so I'll likely get it back on the 8th.

Anyone know whether the new modem uses AT&T or some other carrier's service, and what type (3G/4G/whatever) of service? Thanks. {Jonathan}

#23 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• 177 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:28 AM

Got my swap scheduled for this coming Monday, Nov. 7. My dealership needs a day for whatever reason, so I'll likely get it back on the 8th.

Anyone know whether the new modem uses AT&T or some other carrier's service, and what type (3G/4G/whatever) of service? Thanks. {Jonathan}

I think I found the answer to my own question: seems to be AT&T's 4G LTE:

https://media.ford.c...nc-connect.html

{Jonathan}

#24 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:39 AM

Make sure they have they part before you go in; Ford won't ship it to my dealer for a few weeks...

• Jonathan Ezor likes this

#25 OFFLINE   Kk2800

Kk2800

• 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationSpringfield, IL
  • Current Vehicle:Yes

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:32 AM

Make sure they have they part before you go in; Ford won't ship it to my dealer for a few weeks...

Yes, I would confirm they will have the part. I called my dealer and they made the appointment for the 14th because they had to get the part.

I also tried to get the door latch recall handled at the same time, but they didn't have the parts yet.

#26 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:02 AM

I think I found the answer to my own question: seems to be AT&T's 4G LTE:

https://media.ford.c...nc-connect.html

{Jonathan}

That's for some future cars. The ones we are getting are 3G

clarion_tcu.jpg

• James F Monroe and Jonathan Ezor like this

#27 OFFLINE   Timmmins17

Timmmins17

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSeattle
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Cmax

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:22 PM

I have a 2016 C-Max.  Does the 2016 require the modem swap?  I checked the Ford Owner site, and it said there are no service actions for my vehicle.  Just wanted to double-check if this is correct. Thanks.  

• rgmiller32 likes this

#28 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:24 AM

Talked to 2nd dealer this morning and they said they couldn't order the part because another dealer had ordered it. So called back to the 1st dealer I had talked to a few weeks ago but never heard back from (they said they would call when they were able to order the part). Turns out they got the part yesterday and I have an appointment for Friday. Their inability to use a telephone is not confidence inspiring...

#29 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:05 AM

My dealer called yesterday that they had received the part.  I'm going in next Tuesday to get it installed.

#30 OFFLINE   lucille

lucille

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:52 AM

Got "Customer Satisfaction Program 15N04" letter yesterday. Dealer has ordered part and said it should be delivered next Tuesday. When it's in we will schedule replacement.

#31 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:49 PM

Making slow progress. 1.5 hours driving each way to nearest Ford dealer. New TCU installed (took 1.5 hours for installation and programming).

Tried registering on myfordmobile. Using my usual CMax oriented address it said another user was already using it. No doubt from when I tried to register in June when I was in California on vacation but never got a registration confirmation email from Ford. So made a new email address (using my normal domain) and tried that. No registration confirmation email there either, and nothing in the Spam filter log.

So finally tried my gmail address and got a confirmation email within a minute. So apparently Ford's system doesn't like my domain name, bastards.

Anyway, for the first time in 3.4 years I got the 1st confirmation screen in the car. We'll see if they can manage to get to the next step on Saturday.

#32 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 05:50 PM

Got the second notification in the car, and after waiting a couple of hours for the MFM website to come back online was able to talk to the car. Next step was the iPhone App. I had updated it a few days ago so thought I had the latest. Even though it asked for a 4 digit code to allow logging in without having to deal with entering a password that of course didn't work.

I went to the App store and found they had updated the App on November 5th. Fortunately they added the facility to use the Touch-ID on the phone to access the app, which is even better than a 4 digit code.

#33 OFFLINE   lucille

lucille

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:25 PM

Question:

When everything is set up and working fine when accessing MFM online from both a desktop and a mobile device, will it continue to work without any new setup required after the embedded modem is replaced?

FYI, my dealer has received the part and I am scheduled first thing next week to have the service performed.

Thanks

#34 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 12 November 2016 - 10:13 AM

My case has been rather mixed.  I got the replacement installed on Tuesday, and since then connectivity has been spotty, and my Value Charge and Go Times have not downloaded to the car.  The website has them, just not the car.

Several trips and charges do not show up in the trip&charge log.  My overnight charge last night claims to have started at 1:15am when it was more like 8:30pm, and finished a little after 2:00am.  No way I got a full charge from hybrid mode in 45 minutes!

One big symptom that can't be blamed on connectivity is that the mfm website always shows 19 miles of charge, no matter the actual percentage; the mfm Android app shows the correct percentage *if* it manages to update.  That was the charge level when I picked up the car from the dealer.  I was on the phone with Ford customer support for about an hour yesterday trying to resolve it, they finally took my contact info and promised to get back to me.

• James F Monroe likes this

#35 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:55 PM

The only problems I've seen is the couple of times I've gone down into Canyon City, which as the name implies, is in a canyon. The AT&T coverage map says there is coverage there, but apparently not enough. Might have something to do with the internal antenna in the modem rather than using an external antenna like in the Fusion. For those trips only part of the trip is reported.

For my trips down into John Day it seems to work OK.

No problem with range display.

#36 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• 177 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 06:56 AM

I got the replacement done last week--my dealer got the part within the day. Unfortunately, when the dealer first installed the new modem, the programming apparently didn't properly get stored, so it did not connect at all to the MFM network. I went back a day later, the dealer completed the programming, and now at least it connects to the network and properly reports vehicle location to MFM. It does *not*, though, report charging status, record trip and charge statistics, or allow me to remote start, lock or unlock. I'm waiting until MFM support opens today at 11:30 am ET, and will let you all know what happens. {Jonathan}

#37 OFFLINE   lucille

lucille

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:46 AM

Got the replacement modem today and MFM seems to be working OK except that the remaining  HVB mileage is always displayed as 20 miles no matter what the percent of charge is.

#38 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:41 PM

Got the replacement modem today and MFM seems to be working OK except that the remaining  HVB mileage is always displayed as 20 miles no matter what the percent of charge is.

Looks like a common problem. Someone suggested removing your car from MFM and then go through the whole process over again to add the car. Pretty silly, but that's Ford software for you. Mine never worked before I got the new modem so that could be why I didn't have that problem. It does take 20-30 seconds to update though and sometimes fails to update at all. Could be the garage blocking most of the signal, the roof and walls are steel, not sure what the garage doors are made of.

IMG_0071.jpg

#39 OFFLINE   lucille

lucille

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:41 PM

Looks like a common problem. Someone suggested removing your car from MFM and then go through the whole process over again to add the car. Pretty silly, but that's Ford software for you. Mine never worked before I got the new modem so that could be why I didn't have that problem. It does take 20-30 seconds to update though and sometimes fails to update at all. Could be the garage blocking most of the signal, the roof and walls are steel, not sure what the garage doors are made of.

Has anyone actually tried the above suggestion by removing the car from MFM and going through the whole process to add it back again?

And if so, did that solve the problem of incorrect mileage remaining being displayed?

Thanks

#40 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:52 AM

I'm trying it, but I've only gotten as far as the first in-car confirmation.  I'll post results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·