Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Climate control doesn't do under 64F when heating?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:45 AM

Last winter I could get to work (about 15 miles) on Full Electric down to about 15F.  If it was colder than that I would plan for one ICE "burn" on the fastest, least interrupted portion of my commute to try and get a little heat in the ICE before shutting it back off.  In general, the colder the temps, the longer I would run the ICE, trying to time it so I would roll into the parking lot just before the battery switched to the hybrid portion (To keep it in EV NOW, not switch to AUTO, to reduce that likelihood of an engine start right after starting the car).  Sometimes The last several blocks were a bit on the cold side, managing the battery by turning off the heat for the last few blocks.

Below about -20 F it gets hard to make even short trips, in any mode, without starting the ICE, even with climate control off. At that temperature, I think the car is just being protective of the battery.  This winter I'll have my tablet with Torque Pro to play let me add other info like battery temp to further define what's going on.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,191 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:18 PM

Only to confuse you :-)

Anyway they all work as intended arrow down the air goes down arrow up it goes up to the face and the driver with the defrost well It means defrost in this car any doubts just try them all first time you will know.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 11 October 2016 - 01:19 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:12 AM

Notice that there are two more buttons with the defrost logo on them: one at the bottom, next to the EV button, and another to the right of the climate display with the word MAX.  I've been assuming that the one at the bottom turns on the electric glass heating elements, and the MAX button probably turns them on, opens the windshield vents, and cranks up the fan.

But I'm actually guessing...

#24 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:18 AM

*lightbulb*

OK, I have obviously not used the climate control enough or sat and played with it much.  Last night I decided to see how it looked from the Sync screen.

Wow, again, it's rather counter-intuitive to every other vehicle I've been in, but on THIS occasion I actually think I like the way Ford did it..(Just wish they explained it better)

So, on every other vehicle I've been in,

-Pressing the button for feet puts the air at your feet. 

-If you then went and pressed the button for upper vents, the air would come out of the upper vents and STOP coming out of the floor vents.(There's usually a bi-level button if you want both).

Apparently on Ford(and this was much more obvious on the Sync screen, though I guess it does show it on the lower climate control hardware as well):

-Pressing the foot button blows air at your feet.

-Then pressing the upper vents ALSO blows air from the upper vents but does NOT close the lower ones.  You'd press the foot button again to turn OFF the air to your feet.

Same with Defrost.  You can turn on feet, upper vents AND defrost all at the SAME time.  And any combination in-between.  Turning them all individually off drops it back to Auto mode.

Also interesting to watch this with the climate power usage meter up.

I had the interior temp set to about the exterior temp so there shouldn't really have been much of any power usage.  I also messed around with AC on and off.

-Blowing air at your lower and/or upper vents basically doesn't use any noticeable power.

-Using Defrost in any form automatically jumps up power usage.  BUT...  If you use it in combination with either upper and/or lower vents it's just a small-ish amount of power.  

-Turn off both lower and upper vents and just leave it on defrost alone and Boom, the power usage spikes to max.

So there's the winter keys.  Either use auto or the lower/upper vents for lower energy expenditure(the temp and fan speed and auto mode will obviously have an impact as well.) The next step up is to add in defrost but leave the upper and/or lower vents on.

Anyway, this is probably common knowledge for everyone else, but complete news to me! (:

#25 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:24 AM

Notice that there are two more buttons with the defrost logo on them: one at the bottom, next to the EV button, and another to the right of the climate display with the word MAX.  I've been assuming that the one at the bottom turns on the electric glass heating elements, and the MAX button probably turns them on, opens the windshield vents, and cranks up the fan.

But I'm actually guessing...

Yep. Page 106 of the owner's manual again.  The bottom one is for the rear defroster and side mirrors.  

As you said Defrost Max will turn on those items along with maximum front windshield defrosting.

#26 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:29 AM

There's a defrost wire in the glass where my front wipers rest, isn't that controlled by the bottom button, too?

#27 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:40 AM

There's a defrost wire in the glass where my front wipers rest, isn't that controlled by the bottom button, too?

Hmm, I'm not sure...  if mine has it, I hadn't realize it.  Can't find any mention of it in the manual...

The lower button is specifically called the REAR defrost button, though it does operate the side mirrors as well...

I'd tend to think a front electric wire would work in conjunction with the front defrost options, but I'm really not sure...

#28 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,191 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:59 AM

I never saw any front electric wire, the rear defrost is for that, I can't even see a wire in the front.   You mean its below in the black section of the glass?

-=>Raja.

#29 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationcentral
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max energi, Fusion Ti Hy, Mustang GT, Triumph TR7

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:48 AM

Stupid question time.  Since I only charge with the 110 unit i generally don't use go times.  If I set go times, do I need to have the climate control unit on when I shut down the car for it to pre heat/cool?

#30 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:52 PM

If you set a go time with a temperature that's what it will aim for, doesn't matter what the climate control was left at.

The only time the previous climate control setting comes in to play is with a remote start of you've changed the settings on the left screen to do so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·