Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Maximizing your EV range

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:03 AM

When going on a trip that exceeds the full potential of the EV range of say 30 miles, it is best to use the ICE for climbing hills and the battery for level and downhill sections.  Yesterday I needed to go to Ellington, CT, a 68.5 mile trip that net 56 EV miles out of the battery including ice>battery charge and hill regen netting 101 MPG for the trip.  

If the battery was used to climb hills on the country roads then it would have been exhausted a lot quicker.  Doing what I did after a full recharge of the battery it showed 40 miles estimated range (due to the previous usage).  This strategy works well if the ICE needs to be used and its hot already.  You need to determine when to start up the ICE on the trip, ideally somewhere where this is a long stretch of a steady climb and/or no stop signs or lights to warm it up.  You don't want to start it and have it idle to warm up as you get caught in a city.  Once warmed up, then you just switch to EV later at the bottom of every hill, fire up the ICE and switch back to Auto at the crest of the hill.

Going there net 101 mpg.  Coming back at night I had to stop to recharge the car as it was totally empty and a 12 mile trip on the ICE only net 46.7mpg, then the return back home net 113 as it was shorter though it should have been more as it was raining hard at night with headlights plus I made a mistake running the ICE too much (I should have climbed the last 2 hills on battery) and abandoned about 10% HVB charge arriving home.

The interesting part is when I came back to the car after dinner and was waiting for the battery to top off from 87% to 100%.   It came up 1% at a time every about 1 minute 12 seconds as expected but when it reached 95% it stayed there for a bit and suddenly jumped to 100% charged.  It used to go 96, 97, 98, 99 then 100, maybe this has to do with some capacity loss from new.  I wonder if the folks that are down to 4.2kwh or lower if the battery reaches like 80% and then jumps to 100%?  My total charge time used to originally be 2 hours 10 minutes on 240v, last night it was 2 hours 2 minutes.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 09 October 2016 - 08:51 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   P=E/t

P=E/t

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia PA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:45 AM

This is the strategy I use for beyond-25 mile trips as well, Raja. Thanks for posting.

Yes, absolutely warm up the ICE on the longest clear stretch of road you can anticipate. That's critical.

Re hills--it is true that the ICE is terribly inefficient banging up a steep hill. But it's still better than using the HVB for that. There are lots of 10% hills around me--meaning that they'll suck up 10% of my HVB no matter how I strategize. Better to use the ICE and charge on the way down the other side.

Also--using the HVB to climb multiple hills in succession will heat it up a lot. Another advantage of using the ICE for uphills is that your battery will stay cooler.

Rick

#3 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:05 PM

Thanks Rick!  I also enjoy reading your posts and have picked up good pieces of information from them about the whole picture of the car's operation.  

Keep posting and thanks for all your input as well!   :thumbsup:

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 09 October 2016 - 05:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·