Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Guidance on leasing a 2016

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Goodbar

Goodbar

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationSE Michigan
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2013 VW Jetta TDI wagon

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:25 AM

Hi folks. I drive a VW TDI wagon that I'd hoped would take me into the full-electric era, though the emissions scandal has me looking for a replacement. My wife and I both like the C-Max Energi, and the EV range would cover the majority of our routine local driving.

Normally I'm a used car kinda guy, though the lease deals on the Energi are getting near used car territory on a cost-per-mile basis. I also have read in these forums that HVB batteries are subject to degradation particularly in hotter climates. Having read this thread I'm comfortable testing out potential used examples, though it would be nice to start with a new battery...

A few questions:

• Any suggestions about timing on buying a 2016? It looks like the current $11,757 lease discount runs through the end of the year, and that's on top of X plan. Can I expect deals to improve when the 2017s arrive? (Normally I'd think yes, though I've never seen such a steep discount as a starting point. If it's not likely to improve by much, I'd rather get the color and equipment I prefer instead of waiting for the dregs.)
  • Can I expect the OE tires to last the length of a 36-mo lease?
  • Any other things I need to be aware of when leasing a Ford? This is new territory. I've asked my insurance company for a quote to make sure it doesn't differ much from my current car.

Thanks for any insights.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:46 AM

I'm not a lease guy, never leased a car, but I can tell you that the OEM tires can last at least 60k miles.  Mine are original at 57k now and still going strong, have not reached the wear limit bars yet.  36 months should be easy for the tires from new.

-=>Raja.

• Goodbar likes this

#3 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 681 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:22 AM

Tire wear for me has been exceptional. I'm at 34K and they look almost new.  I do however  swap them out for Blizzaks in the winter, so I have actually have less than 28K on the Michelins.  The OE tires are horrible in the snow.  Get a set of snow tires, it will make a world of driving difference and prolong the treadlife of the OE tires.

• Goodbar likes this

#4 OFFLINE   catomatic

catomatic

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Volvo XC70

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:41 AM

New to the forum and contemplating a lease/purchase of an Energy here in NYC. I will confess up front that I have tremendous "maintenance fatigue"from decades of Volvo curating—I am very, very wary about the C-Max's rep in the trades and with mechanics for transmission and tech issues. J.D. Power still is very bearish on this car, so are a couple of Hybrid techs I phoned here in the city. That said, I loved my test-drive a few days ago.

Has Ford addressed the transmission issues and the 12V battery issues and the radio/satnav issues that plagued this car in 2013/14? Anyone point me to literature/reviews that support the idea Ford fixed these issues? Many thanks, I loved this car, but I can't yet believe in it, you know?

I got a quote of 188/mo on an Energi with 5K down (will reduce that, in all likelihood). It was a 302A equipped car with glass roof. I guess none of the roofs open, is that right?

Cheers, Tony

#5 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:49 AM

I have not had any issues with the 12v battery in stock format in my 2013 model.  Have not tried to fix that in any way with patches (there were some to raise the charging voltage).  The rest of the car has been very good, no problems with anything thankfully just the GPS needed to be fixed and some valve for the small leak in the gas tank thing.  P04EF I think I forgot could be wrong on that code.  

The glass roof is nice, they don't open but I leave the shade shut in the summer and open in the winter to let the warming sun into the cab.

-=>Raja.

#6 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:56 AM

The tires will still be serviceable at 36 months, unless you get a lease with a lot of miles, but based on the wear I measured on my Focus Electric, it is possible that if not rotated, the front tires could fall below the requirement of the lease, which I believe is 5/32.  The appearance of the tires can be a bit deceptive as they don't start with a lot of tread (9.5/32), so over the life of the lease you only have 4.5/32 of wear to work with before the tire fall below the limit. The fronts wear faster than the rears so you have to keep them rotated often if you want to continue to allow them to be rotated front to rear.  Many tires shops will refuse to move the front tires to the rear unless they are within 1/32 of each other (their lawyers like the tires with the most tread in the rear)

Getting a 2nd set of tires for the winter and rotating the tires should leave the OEM tires with plenty tread to satisfy the lease at the end, unless you drive lot of miles, get really adventurous with cornering or don't maintain proper tire pressure ( I would suggest 5-8 PSI higher that what the label on the door does)

• Goodbar likes this

#7 OFFLINE   catomatic

catomatic

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Volvo XC70

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:24 AM

I have not had any issues with the 12v battery in stock format in my 2013 model.  Have not tried to fix that in any way with patches (there were some to raise the charging voltage).  The rest of the car has been very good, no problems with anything thankfully just the GPS needed to be fixed and some valve for the small leak in the gas tank thing.  P04EF I think I forgot could be wrong on that code.  

The glass roof is nice, they don't open but I leave the shade shut in the summer and open in the winter to let the warming sun into the cab.

-=>Raja.

Thanks, but do you know if they addressed specifically the transmission problems on this car in the intervening model years? What about the Audi/Tech system new for this year—can you offer any context? Very grateful for any and all links/info etc.

#8 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:35 AM

No idea about the transmission, it may be just a few cases I don't think they changed much but don't know for sure.

Sync 3 is supposed to be better and nicer than Sync 2 though I have no major complaints about Sync 2, works well for me.

-=>Raja.

#9 OFFLINE   Goodbar

Goodbar

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSE Michigan

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:48 AM

Thanks, but do you know if they addressed specifically the transmission problems on this car in the intervening model years? What about the Audi/Tech system new for this year—can you offer any context? Very grateful for any and all links/info etc.

You might find some useful info here: http://fordcmaxhybri...t-transmission/

#10 OFFLINE   Goodbar

Goodbar

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSE Michigan

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:51 AM

The tires will still be serviceable at 36 months, unless you get a lease with a lot of miles, but based on the wear I measured on my Focus Electric, it is possible that if not rotated, the front tires could fall below the requirement of the lease, which I believe is 5/32.  The appearance of the tires can be a bit deceptive as they don't start with a lot of tread (9.5/32), so over the life of the lease you only have 4.5/32 of wear to work with before the tire fall below the limit. The fronts wear faster than the rears so you have to keep them rotated often if you want to continue to allow them to be rotated front to rear.  Many tires shops will refuse to move the front tires to the rear unless they are within 1/32 of each other (their lawyers like the tires with the most tread in the rear)

Getting a 2nd set of tires for the winter and rotating the tires should leave the OEM tires with plenty tread to satisfy the lease at the end, unless you drive lot of miles, get really adventurous with cornering or don't maintain proper tire pressure ( I would suggest 5-8 PSI higher that what the label on the door does)

Interesting. I hadn't thought about there being a tread depth requirement beyond the wear bars. Here's what I could find on Ford's site, which doesn't specify beyond no cords showing:

https://credit.ford.com/wear-and-use

Are you saying that your lease agreement has a specific number? 5/32" seems pretty advantageous for Ford.

Good idea with snow tires and wheels. I've done that with cars in the past and it makes a huge difference.

#11 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:22 PM

Interesting. I hadn't thought about there being a tread depth requirement beyond the wear bars. Here's what I could find on Ford's site, which doesn't specify beyond no cords showing:

https://credit.ford.com/wear-and-use

Are you saying that your lease agreement has a specific number? 5/32" seems pretty advantageous for Ford.

Good idea with snow tires and wheels. I've done that with cars in the past and it makes a huge difference.

I wouldn't doubt that you are right and Ford doesn't specify a tread depth. 

I may have been crossing information over from a Nissan Leaf forum discussion.  The Nissan End of Lease conditions do specify tread depth as minimum of 4/32 at the shallowest spot.

I hope you are right, I was planning to have to buy 2 tires in April when my Focus Electric goes back, under the guide you posted, I am fine. :-)

Edited by cwstnsko, 05 October 2016 - 12:25 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   ls973800

ls973800

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:Replaced Ford Edge

Posted 05 October 2016 - 01:29 PM

The $11000.00 discount and the X-plan cost sure is a price which suggests they want to move the vehicle now.  I leased a 2015 for 24 months and 10500 miles a year in April of 2015.  I got around a little under invoice on the selling price and just a tad over $10000.00 in other incentives and rebates.  If you found the color and equipment you like, you might want to go for it now.

One thing most car sites suggest is DON'T put a lot of money down on a lease vehicle to reduce the cap cost.  If the car is totaled from an accident, you will not be made whole for any excessive amount of money you put down.  The insurance will pay off the lease and that's it.  The lessor gets the money, not the lessee.

#13 OFFLINE   astrand1

astrand1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationDetroit
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Me= 2014 C-Max Energi 302a, White platinum metallic. wife= 2014 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 23 October 2016 - 06:13 PM

I can chime in on the audio front. I have a 2014 and not too long ago swapped out the sync 2 for sync 3 and for me it is worlds better! So much smoother and fast response. As far as the trans from what I have read Ford changed something with bearings in the 2014 model year that I think helped the trans work better last longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·