Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Enlighten vs. Empower

8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:46 AM

What's the difference between these two gauges?  The Empower has a blue border, but both gauges have the same tick marks for kW.  I have never approached anywhere near the end of those marks.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:35 AM

I use Empower all the time, it shows you show much you can press on the accelerator without starting the engine.  Comes in handy when the car gets into hybrid mode.  But in general I try to stay no more than 2 bars at the extreme, and you have to use AUTO mode in order to see the threshold in Empower, otherwise in EV mode its not there.  Never use EV mode anyways unless its extremely cold and I'm trying to prevent the engine from starting.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 05 October 2016 - 05:35 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 681 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:02 AM

So that blue border is the threshold?

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:16 AM

Yes of course, can't believe you haven't discovered that since 2013???!!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!!??!!?

Ya man, its important.  You can also use it in EV later to kick the ICE back on while on the highway to prevent battery drain and maintain 45mpg+ at 65mph.

-=>Raja.

#5 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 681 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:29 AM

I usually drive in EV Now, until I get on the freeway, then I switch to EV later.

I prefer the Engage screen, as it shows me both gauges stacked on each other.

#6 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:43 AM

Yes EV now really is not required, you get more feedback in AUTO with Empower and also the engine is there just in case you need to floor it to get out of trouble.  Engage is OK while using the ICE, but Empower is still more superior for me.  Example, while on the highway the ICE will shut off while going down a hill, I wait until the power draw is back up to 1 bar as the hill levels off and then I can re-ignite the ICE so the hybrid battery doesn't drain down.  If I don't then it drains the hybrid battery and recharges it back up, and you lose MPG while this is going on.  If there isn't enough load you can't re-ignite the ICE, the attempt will fail and switch back off.  Empower helps you figure out the ideal time to go for it.

Engage will show you the hybrid battery helping the ICE climb hills to maintain at least 40mpg when there is excess power in it.  That only lasts so long and then the ICE will drop to 20mpg if the hill is still present and charge the hybrid battery while climbing if possible (depending on the steepness).

-=>Raja.

#7 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 681 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:17 AM

I will try that soon.  My general daily use lately is entirely EV, I'm maybe on the freeway once a week.  It's nice having an independent driving teenager (sometimes).

#8 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:20 AM

FYI, When switching back and forth between Empower and Engage while driving on the Freeway (either EV Later or in Auto with the battery depleted), I have noticed on my 2015 that the tick marks that we refer to as 1 or 2 bars don't seem to have the same scale.  What shows as 1.75 bars on Empower might show up as 2 bars on Engage.

The only time I use Engage is when I am driving in area where the car is likely to be using both the ICE and the Battery simultaneously.  I switch over to Engage out of curiosity, to try and better understand how the car reacts to different situations.

#9 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:42 AM

^^^ Agreed, the engage and empower bars do not match.  Engage like CWS says is just interesting to see if the battery is helping the engine or not, but that's about the only use for it.  Empower is much better, and shows in EV later mode or hybrid battery (0%) how much battery is available for power or when the ICE will kick out.  You can see the blue bar glowing upwards as the ICE is charging the battery while running.  It charges up to close to 1 bar where the ICE will kick out if the power drops below that threshold.    Once the ICE is out then you have somewhere between 1 and 2 bars where the ICE will kick back in.

Eric, try AUTO mode and Empower screen, you might enjoy that better than engage.  No real need to put the car in EV mode every time you drive somewhere.  Only use that if its really cold outside and you're trying to stay in EV and not start the ICE on a short trip.  Really cold means below 0F, above zero I have been successful in driving 100% EV for 20-22 miles no heat.

-=>Raja.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·