Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Low Battery capacity thread (4.5 kwh or lower via myfordmobile)

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   David A

David A

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationApple Valley MN
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C Max Energi

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:44 PM

Ive owned a 2017 C Max Energi for almost 2 months. It was originally titled to Ford and used by an employee of Ford From June 2017 until January 2018 when it was sold at auction to my dealer in St Paul. (Midway Ford)

It sat on their lot from late January 2018 until I bought it on June 1 2018. I bought it with 7000 miles. I get about 4.1 KWH from 100% to 0%  Charge time at 12 Amp using the factory cord is about 4 hours and 25 minutes.

My other car is a 2016 Volt so I am experienced with driving PHEVs.

Any thoughts on this? 

David A

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#102 OFFLINE   GS Dave

GS Dave

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 183 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:32 AM

Just took mine in to the dealer on Friday, I have about 92K miles, and its now or never.  Capacity is consistently down in the 3.6-3.7 range.  It also has been going into the battery overheat mode.  The service even know what the hybrid warranty period was....this is going to be a long road.....hopefully Ford does the right thing. 

#103 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:51 AM

I think Ford discontinued this car because of this exact issue, too many people messing up the battery due to excessive usage in high heat areas and insufficient cooling issues.  They would go broke if they have to replace everyone's battery.  Mipmapped got his battery replaced once but the replacement is already wore down just like the original because of his habits I presume.  In any case good luck to you hope it works out.  For me I try to be very aware of the battery temperature and do what I can to keep it comfortable.

-=>Raja.

• ptjones likes this

#104 OFFLINE   GS Dave

GS Dave

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:43 AM

I think the reason the discontinued it was sales...but the battery issue didn't help.  Being in S.FL...its always hot, there is no way around it unless you want to air condition your garage to cool your car for charging.  During summer here it is in the high 70s for the lows.

#105 OFFLINE   ScottB

ScottB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • Current Vehicle:2017 CMAX Energi Titainum

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:31 AM

Lack of sales were certainly a problem for Ford. The Cmax was the low hanging fruit ready to plucked from the tree. Ford seems to have cut most of the branches off the tree by discontinuing most of their "car" models.

I think they also learned from Nissan's problems that if you make an electric car with a LI-ON battery, you better engineer it to keep it at the proper temps's in all environmental conditions.

Not to make you feel bad, but our battery does not seem to be designed to operate in hot parts of the country without significant degrading.  It will cost some money in the future to replace, but it might not be that costly in a few years from now. Personally I figure I will do what I can to prolong its life, within reason, and if I have to replace it in 7-10 years so be it. The shorter your commute, the less of a deal it is.

If you want to drive an electric car, the current battery tech. requires active liquid cooling to keep it from over heating. This is especially critical if you live in a hot climate.  If you don't have it designed into the car, you have to put effort into managing its temp. I don't mind keeping the windows rolled down while charging and charging at night when its cool. I draw the line and have a problem with Ford if I can't drive the car on the battery on a very hot day.  Since I live in the North East, that doesn't happen very often and I am very pleased with the car after 4 months or so.

• cr08 likes this

#106 OFFLINE   GS Dave

GS Dave

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL

Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:04 PM

I know I shouldn't be surprised...but I have had to explain the battery issue several times.  They just don't understand.  Going to elevate to the service manager, then the regional, then....they told me the recalls reprogrammed everything, so the battery should be good now.  ughhh....

#107 OFFLINE   GS Dave

GS Dave

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL

Posted 16 August 2018 - 11:33 AM

Just got word, they have sent the information to Ford...at least it has been elevated.  Wish me luck.

#108 OFFLINE   Billyk24

Billyk24

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationButler, Pa.
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Titanium, 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid 4wd

Posted 16 August 2018 - 03:36 PM

There may be 3rd party vendors in the future that step into the void and replace, repair and/or adjust the hybrid battery/cells for those interested.

#109 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:39 AM

These guy are doing it for FFH and they could look at Energi. https://greentecauto...ory/ford/fusion

Paul

#110 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationIllinois
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:52 PM

Low mileage junkyard batteries are cheap on ebay. Anyone know what Ford's book says for hours to replace?

Edited by sporkinum, 17 August 2018 - 12:52 PM.

#111 OFFLINE   bsheaffer

bsheaffer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationPortland OR Area
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 19 August 2018 - 03:33 PM

I figured out how to get an almost new battery to replace my poor 3.9kwhr - but I don't recommend it at all: a '97 F250 missed the fact that traffic had stopped; he did not miss me. 

I've given Ford a lot of grief over their battery management (and rightfully so, I'd say) (and of course I'd say that), but even with a 90s era Big ol'Truck ™ slamming almost straight into the back at ~35mph ... the crumple zone protected the battery: missed it by 2-3 inches. Insurance still totaled my sweet girl. 

I expected my 2013 to last me for 15+ years. By then, all sorts of electric, nuclear, flying wonders would be available, and I would never buy Ford again. 

But...

Just as it was in 2013, nothing on the market today can match what the Cmax Energi was to me. All in all, in 5.5 years, I spent $2,606.52 total on everything for that car: that's all fill ups, all service, 2 tires... car washes.... Even with a reduced battery, that car was a good car.

So I bought a 2016. Missing a few of the features of my 2013 (I never did use the auto park), but I tested the capacity before buying, and it is a much more healthy 5.2kwhrs. (Of course, the dealership didn't have it charged for my test drive … how do you expect to sell a partially electric vehicle without selling the electric part???) (then again, that's Ford for ya).

I'm still in the Energi family, but I know a lot more now. This battery won't suffer like the last one did.

Oh, and be careful with junkyard batteries: my old one is out there somewhere. Use the cells, not the whole battery.

#112 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:41 PM

The Cmax is still one of the best performing cars out there.  Mine got hit also last year and I ended up buying another brand new 2017 Cmax model, the last of the new ones and its been just perfect.  I'm batting 76mpg with it and I know how to protect the battery even more now than before.  So 2nd chance to start over and the new one didn't even cost me that much to be honest, it was a great upgrade from the old one which, incidentally, has been repaired and is now in Croatia!!  I saw it being driven from Hungary to Croatia a few days ago, I guess it finally has a new owner :)

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 19 August 2018 - 08:42 PM.

• spirilis likes this

#113 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 11 September 2018 - 03:21 PM

2013 CMax Energi
22,000 miles, 5 3/4 years
Tucson
4.1 kWh - 17.5 miles using big battery (in-town driving 100F)
4.5 kWh - 19.2 miles when ICE started

Side note: Had my first wrench display ever at about 19 miles on this trip and the A/C no longer cooled.  After stopping for 30 minutes the light was gone and A/C working when re-started  No engine code appears on the engineering screen.  Will ignore for now.

#114 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:32 PM

Maybe just too hot. :headscratch:

Paul

#115 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:13 PM

Maybe just too hot. :headscratch:

Paul

Maybe!  Warning was still gone the next day and didn't reoccur on a similar drive at 100F. 

More results:

3.9 kWh - 16 miles  (I use to routinely get 20-22).

#116 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:40 PM

Well you can get your HVB refurbished. I'm sure you lose range when temps get above 80*F.  It would b interesting if you could cool your HVB down to 70*F or below and charge it up and see what range you have. :headscratch:

Paul

#117 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:54 PM

Well you can get your HVB refurbished. I'm sure you lose range when temps get above 80*F.  It would b interesting if you could cool your HVB down to 70*F or below and charge it up and see what range you have. :headscratch:

Paul

I charge at 2AM and the temp is around about 70-80F then.  Another month and we'll be back to more "normal" temperatures and I'll see how its doing on range then.

A "I refurbish batteries" sign has popped up recently on a street in town - so it appears there's a market for doing that!

Edited by ArizonaEnergi, 14 September 2018 - 07:40 AM.

#118 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:38 AM

green tec auto, there is one in Phoenix. 800-773-6614  www.greentecauto.com   They buy used HVB and pick out the best cells to make a refurbished HVB.

Paul 

#119 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:42 AM

green tec auto, there is one in Phoenix. 800-773-6614  www.greentecauto.com   They buy used HVB and pick out the best cells to make a refurbished HVB.

Paul 

Good to know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·