Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

New 2016 C-Max Energi Winter Tires

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DaDD

DaDD

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationLondon
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:56 AM

Looking for suggestion for winter tires for a '16 C-Max Energi.  Brand and minus sizing size.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:22 AM

I went with the recommended package from tirerack, and have been vary happy with the handling and grip the past two winters.

Bridgestone Blizzak 215/60R16 on 16x6.5 steel wheels

• DaDD likes this

#3 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:17 PM

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set.  It doesn't really make sense for me to invest in 2nd set of wheels, TPMS sensors and programming, so I'm keeping the stock 17" wheels.  My 1st inclination was the Michelin X-Ice 3 in the stock size since it is a LRR tire, but based in how much crap got trapped in the wheelwells last year with the stock tires, I'm leaning towards the Pirelli Sottozero3 in 205/55R17 to get the narrower section width / footprint but the same diameter.  It's a 95 load rated tire, so it will work with the C-Max Energi in spite of being narrower.

Edited by cwstnsko, 16 September 2016 - 12:18 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 17 September 2016 - 05:50 AM

A second set of mounted tires saves me from paying mounting/demounting fees of $80 per set every time I want to swap winter and all season tires.

That's $160 a year.  Plus I can swap the set in my garage if I want to, or take them to the tire shop and they can do it in 15 minutes.  Time is money too.

#5 OFFLINE   PJFW8

PJFW8

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:2018
  • Current Vehicle:Tesla Model 3

Posted 17 September 2016 - 07:31 AM

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set.  It doesn't really make sense for me to invest in 2nd set of wheels, TPMS sensors and programming, so I'm keeping the stock 17" wheels.  My 1st inclination was the Michelin X-Ice 3 in the stock size since it is a LRR tire, but based in how much crap got trapped in the wheelwells last year with the stock tires, I'm leaning towards the Pirelli Sottozero3 in 205/55R17 to get the narrower section width / footprint but the same diameter.  It's a 95 load rated tire, so it will work with the C-Max Energi in spite of being narrower.

I had the Blizzaks on my CMax Energi and Michelin X-Ice 3 on my Fusion Energi. Both are excellent but the Michelins were quieter and cornered better. I bought them mounted on wheels from Tire-Rack. I have a garage and like to change tires when weather and travel dictate. Helps to have impact tools and a torque wrench.Very convenient.

Edited by PJFW8, 17 September 2016 - 07:32 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:01 PM

Everyone's situation is different. I have 2 winters left on my lease, and I can get my tires changed over for about $50 CAD. Wheels, sensors and programming tools would cost me about $700. It takes a lot of tire changeovers to catch up to that bill, I won't get there during the remainder of my lease. The advantage or spare wheels would be that I could drop to 16s for the winter tires and then the narrower tires have more choices and are less expensive. If I owned and was planning to keep the C-Max for a long time, the math would be very different, and I'd be getting a second set of wheels and sensors.

#7 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 222 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX Energi

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:52 AM

I had good experiences with the X-Ice tires last year, including running on them in *good* weather for far longer than I'd expected after a very mild December. {Jonathan}

#8 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:39 AM

Historically I've always gone with Blizzaks on all my vehicles, but the current vehicles have gotten other versions.

As near as I can tell the Blizzaks are about the best for traction, but most any "real" winter tire these days will do very well, especially compared to most any all season tire.

I ended up getting a set of 205/60-16 Goodyear Ultra Grip tires on Taurus alloys, just because it's what I could find at a reasonable price within a couple hours drive.

http://fordcmaxenerg...-16-snow-tires/

I don't have the TPMS installed in them.  I thought I was going to be really bothered by the TPMS warning, but TPMS addition/programming was a pretty big cost addition/hassle so I left them off and the warning wasn't that bad.

#9 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:47 PM

The nuisance may be tolerable, but according to tirerack.com, it could be considered illegal to install.

"NHTSA's interpretation of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act prohibits service providers from installing aftermarket tires and wheels on your vehicle without working TPMS sensors."

I'm not sure how that might get twisted by the insurance company if you were involved in an accident.

#10 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:49 AM

The nuisance may be tolerable, but according to tirerack.com, it could be considered illegal to install.

"NHTSA's interpretation of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act prohibits service providers from installing aftermarket tires and wheels on your vehicle without working TPMS sensors."

I'm not sure how that might get twisted by the insurance company if you were involved in an accident.

Not a problem for me, I'm installing my own wheels.

But yes, I can see this being like when I took some tires down to Wal-Mart many years ago and was told that they weren't allowed to install them because they weren't exactly the same size as stock.  The installers are worried about getting sued.

I know insurance companies and anyone else can twist whatever they want, but I don't see that I'm violating any laws and the only reason it should come up at all would be if there was some reason that I was driving on a flat tire and that caused the accident.

#11 OFFLINE   NedB

NedB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax, 2005 FEH & 2007 Prius

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:49 AM

Here in NY it is considered an optional device and wil not fail an annual inspection, if it won't fail the inspection then it can blink all it wants on my vehicles.
  • Levi Smith likes this

#12 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:08 AM

My comment was more along the lines that if you were to have an accident caused by a blowout related to a tire which was under-inflated, and the investigation revealed that you deliberately disabled a safety device that was designed to detect that condition, your insurance company would likely deny any claims and leave you personally responsible for any and all damages.

Safety devices can seem expensive, but they are dirt cheap compared to accidents. 

For me, it''s just simple math, changing tires twice a year for the remainder of my lease is less expensive than buying a 2nd set of wheels and sensors, and disabling a safety feature is something I choose not to do.

#13 OFFLINE   Maxfan

Maxfan

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 03 October 2016 - 11:47 PM

In MA, some tire dealers say TPMS sensors are required, but they aren't required to pass inspection. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·