Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

OK experts...what should I check?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   NedB

NedB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationSyracuse NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax, 2005 FEH & 2007 Prius

Posted 15 September 2016 - 04:39 PM

All righty, I'm in search mode for buying a used Energi, my budget dictates purchasing a used car. I drive too much for a lease to make sense. The over mileage charges would double the price at the end. So I'm looking for a 2013-2014 . I test drive a very nice black 2014 with 302A trim package today. I realized on my way home I didn't know where to mine for data in the display. Total mileage was easy, but the history of the car etc..

So for the next car I check out, where do I look for the info & what should I should look for? I'm presuming it is to the left of speedometer? I'm pretty set with the basics of foes the car sound right, handle well etc...

As for mileage on a vehicle, most of what I'm finding are likely lease returns, I'm normally comfortable with higher mileage vehicles, because I am going to pile on more miles anyway. These at 30,000 to 50,000 miles are extremely Low mileage for what I'm used to buying. I even found a 2015 with under 3000 miles! That car is outside my price range, but it is virtually New!

Question on long term reliability... other than Heat kills the HVB and the whole 2G network phase out, have there been any other known issues to be aware of? From what I've read here, it seems there aren't many big issues.

Thanks for any & all advice!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,085 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:38 PM

Buy a car from a cold climate, stay away from cars coming from the southern states.  Have the dealer charge the HVB to full and take a drive on country roads at speeds of 45mph or less in auto mode.  Use the Empower screen and keep your power draw to 2 bars or less on the left.  Drive it until the engine comes on due to the battery dying (going into hybrid mode) and check the trip meter (reset it before leaving).  You should see 5.5kwh out of the battery, if you don't get this number, discard the car and drive the next one.  Most important is to get a battery in the best condition, as they are expensive to replace.  If you have no choice but for 2 to 3 cars pick the one with the best battery performance (most kwh), though I will suggest that you should be at least 5.3kwh, if its down in the 4's range the battery has suffered some damaging incident and you may be better suited to find another vehicle.

If you can get the 302 package, it would be best.  301 you will miss the tailgate feature and other nice additions.  303 is not necessary, rather get the moonroof over 303 package.  Minimum would be 302 in my book, with moonroof even better.

If the car is from 2013 it could have a lifetime summary and MPGe indicators.  Those were phased out but if you get that its nice to have, you can see how many miles on the engine vs EV miles.  But now they are getting older you might be better off with a newer car with a better HVB.

Good luck!

-=>Raja.

#3 OFFLINE   NedB

NedB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:25 PM

Raja,
I'm shopping in NY, though that doesn't mean all that much, auctions being what they are.

302A, check!

I basically did that test today, though I didn't get it all the way down.

I'm flexible on color, though I'd love a candy blue one like yours. Today was black on black, 302A package. The 2015 is silver. I'd probably have my son the body man 'dip' my car if the best available was a color I don't care for. Performance (in this case mileage/HVB range is how I measure an Energi's performance)

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,085 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:59 PM

Yes the cars come from all over the country, so you could ask where the car came from before the lease expired to see what climate it was in.

Not sure if this translates well with different battery degradation, but ideally you should see 1.1kwh out of the battery at 80% left, 2.2 at 60%, 3.3 at 40% and so on, on average.  So if you drain it 4.4kwh, should be 20% left in the battery on the leaf screen.  I would try to drain it that deep if possible, as typically bad batteries tend to crash later in the charge (drop at a faster rate than before) due to some cells crashing before the rest.

Choose whatever color on black.  Tan interiors will get dirty, some woman even complained at one point her clothes/dress were rubbing off colors onto the tan seat.  I think black interior would be best, though your choice of course.

As far as colors I would go with blue or white.  White is good to repel heat, blue looks nice.  Don't like grey, black or the ruby red, I love red, but not wine color red.  BMW red I like, the more brighter ones.  Anyway, I chose blue thought it was the best, my 2nd choice would have been white though I thought it would show dirt more hence why I strived to get the blue.

I never thought I would want the moonroof, but after I ended up with it because my 302a Candy blue had it, I am happy to have it.  Works wonders in the winter to let the sun in and warm up the car.

Hope this helps,

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 15 September 2016 - 08:00 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:57 AM

Buy a car from a cold climate, stay away from cars coming from the southern states.  Have the dealer charge the HVB to full and take a drive on country roads at speeds of 45mph or less in auto mode.  Use the Empower screen and keep your power draw to 2 bars or less on the left.  Drive it until the engine comes on due to the battery dying (going into hybrid mode) and check the trip meter (reset it before leaving).  You should see 5.5kwh out of the battery, if you don't get this number, discard the car and drive the next one.  Most important is to get a battery in the best condition, as they are expensive to replace.  If you have no choice but for 2 to 3 cars pick the one with the best battery performance (most kwh), though I will suggest that you should be at least 5.3kwh, if its down in the 4's range the battery has suffered some damaging incident and you may be better suited to find another vehicle.

If you can get the 302 package, it would be best.  301 you will miss the tailgate feature and other nice additions.  303 is not necessary, rather get the moonroof over 303 package.  Minimum would be 302 in my book, with moonroof even better.

If the car is from 2013 it could have a lifetime summary and MPGe indicators.  Those were phased out but if you get that its nice to have, you can see how many miles on the engine vs EV miles.  But now they are getting older you might be better off with a newer car with a better HVB.

Good luck!

-=>Raja.

Raja,

There is no moonroof option on the C-Max Energi. Did you mean the Pano roof?

#6 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,085 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:22 AM

^^^ Yes Steve, I call it the moonroof as saying sunroof implies it opens which it doesn't.  Forgot the pano-roof name they gave it...

-=>Raja.

#7 OFFLINE   NedB

NedB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:07 PM

Found 'my' Cmax... 2014 one owner Northern car 30,000 miles on it 302A. The silver one found its home, but I chose not to spent the $21k on it. Might as well get new at that point.

Edited by NedB, 29 September 2016 - 01:09 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,085 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:40 PM

The silver one found its home, but I chose not to spent the $21k on it. Might as well get new at that point. 

What do you mean?  Did you find one or didn't you?  Are you going to buy new?  Sorry above quote confused me...

-=>Raja.

#9 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,243 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:48 AM

What do you mean?  Did you find one or didn't you?  Are you going to buy new?  Sorry above quote confused me...

-=>Raja.

See post #3.

#10 OFFLINE   NedB

NedB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:51 PM

Hi gang… In the better late than never category, today I went and test drove a 2013 301A Blue Energi. I had called ahead and asked that the car be charged up so I could perform the battery degradation road test, however that was not to be. The salesman plugged it in, Alas however the outlet that he used in the shop wasn't working. It was quite a long drive to get there and while I wasn't truly happy with going that far and not finding out the critical information, if they can satisfy me that the battery is in acceptable shape then I believe I have found my car. It may not have navigation, or the self opening tailgate… But for my money it is very well-equipped. It is a low mileage car less than 30,000 miles, the Carfax is clean, and the car itself is spotless. I love the color, and hope to have it home within a week to a week and a half. I just have to iron out the loan, insurance etc.… As I mentioned in my thread about the 3G modem they are even willing to do that before I pick up The car if the modem is available.

This is the third c Max I've driven, and other than not being able to use EV, because of the outlet not working, there was nothing about the car that I was not pleased with. The Bluetooth work great ; I briefly paired my phone with the car just to test everything out. The car ran well in Hybrid mode, and I managed to regenerate a fair amount of power as well. Given that they are not "Energi certified," I am willing to give them a pass for how easy they are to deal with. Small-town dealer and all that, versus the energi certified dealer that is close to home.

Attached Files

#11 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationWV
  • Current Vehicle:FOrd

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:19 AM

They can find a plug that is working. I'd tell them that you will be there at X time to try and buy the car. If it's fully charged you will take it for a test drive and try and see if you can make a deal. If it's not you are turning around and going home.

#12 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,085 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 03 March 2017 - 07:43 AM

You have to drive it on battery to see what you got before you buy it.  How stupid is the sales man to plug it in and not see any power on the charger or that the charge port ring is glowing?  Seems like not such a good excuse but anyway do check the battery capacity a car with a better battery is worth more than a car without.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 03 March 2017 - 07:43 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   NedB

NedB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY

Posted 03 March 2017 - 07:49 AM

Yeah... salesman wasn't the sharpest tack in the office...

#14 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:11 PM

Just a comment. Battery packs may be expensive, but they are also covered by the federal warranty for either 8 years / 100K or 10 years / 150K. Of course, that means dealing with the dealer and Ford to agree to replace it.

#15 OFFLINE   NedB

NedB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:26 AM

New York is a CARB state, so it would be 10/150. I'm fairly comfident it is in decent shape. I'm going to give them a calll later today.

#16 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:36 PM

New York is a CARB state, so it would be 10/150. I'm fairly comfident it is in decent shape. I'm going to give them a calll later today.

I'm told the Federal warranty length is based on the state where the vehicle was first sold, but I've not checked it closely.

#17 OFFLINE   NedB

NedB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:49 PM

According to the car fax, I'm still covered. The car was a NY vehicle from the get-go. Thanks for the info!

I heard from the dealer today, it is slated to be pulled in Monday for a thorough check, Including the 3G modem swap!

I kept the PDF of the manual open on my computer at work and read it between phone calls all day. I think I'm hooked!

#18 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:23 PM

According to the car fax, I'm still covered. The car was a NY vehicle from the get-go. Thanks for the info!

I heard from the dealer today, it is slated to be pulled in Monday for a thorough check, Including the 3G modem swap!

I kept the PDF of the manual open on my computer at work and read it between phone calls all day. I think I'm hooked!

Yeah, it is a wonderful vehicle.

#19 OFFLINE   NedB

NedB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:14 AM

Just for fun I checked on some vanity plates

#20 OFFLINE   NedB

NedB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:48 AM

Well this time next week I'll be picking up my car! And I saved a grand!
  • Perry Knopp likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·