Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

I will soon be ready for tires.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:16 AM

I think the cupping is related to these specific tires and the fact of rotating them around.  Its maybe like the steel belts get turned one way from rotation and when you rotate the tires they have to turn and lay back down the other way and they bulge the tire surface up.

Not only me but several people had this issue with these tires - seen to the end user as being "noisy" when this happens.  I think Tom ran lower pressure in the 40's if I recall correctly and he also had this issue happen.  It might be some defect in the manufacturing of the tires I'm not sure.  I don't see any problems with the suspension of the car to be honest (except for the rear end squatting down wearing the inside edge more).

Hopefully the new set I get down the road will not have this issue again.  I'll wait until December or so to buy them after all my long distance trips are done, actually I got one to FL in December so when I get back before Christmas I'll buy a new set for Maxie.  By then it will probably be 80-85K on the original set.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 12 June 2017 - 07:17 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:00 AM

I looked at my third set of tires with 33k miles on them and the leading edge of the outside block is slightly higher than the rear edge on all four tires, I will watch them to see what happens, I think I have 5k on this rotation.  I cross rotate about every 10k miles, I think the tires get noisier as the tread goes away. :(  

Paul

#43 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:33 AM

I don't understand why they should get noisy.  Mine go woo woo woo at slow EV speed around 10mph and feel "vibrant" so to speak.  The front ones are worse than the rear ones, last rotation they went to the front and the highway noise is lower now at speed but I can feel that vibe through the steering wheel at crawling speeds.  The vibe goes away with speed.  Just not very well made tires it seems.  Maybe I should look for a different brand when I replace them?  Any ideas of what might be comparable in MPG number savings?

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 12 June 2017 - 08:33 AM.

#44 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:36 AM

I think the cupping is related to these specific tires and the fact of rotating them around.  Its maybe like the steel belts get turned one way from rotation and when you rotate the tires they have to turn and lay back down the other way and they bulge the tire surface up.

Not only me but several people had this issue with these tires - seen to the end user as being "noisy" when this happens.  I think Tom ran lower pressure in the 40's if I recall correctly and he also had this issue happen.  It might be some defect in the manufacturing of the tires I'm not sure.  I don't see any problems with the suspension of the car to be honest (except for the rear end squatting down wearing the inside edge more).

Hopefully the new set I get down the road will not have this issue again.  I'll wait until December or so to buy them after all my long distance trips are done, actually I got one to FL in December so when I get back before Christmas I'll buy a new set for Maxie.  By then it will probably be 80-85K on the original set.

-=>Raja.

For the record I run the pressure at about 46PSI. Unreasonable noise occurred just after the second front to back rotation. I had the tires rotated right back and the noise level decreased. I never rotated the tires again. Replaced the tires around 46k miles after the sidewall on one tire became damaged. Tread on all tires was getting down to the warning mark on my gauge with a bit more wear on the front tires. Even at the time the tires were replaced there was no noticeable cupping visible on any tire. Tire noise did increase over time. The new tires are very pleasantly quite.

Even when I checked Raja's tires with my tread gauge, he had significantly more tread than I had with more miles than I had on mine. I am guessing his cooler climate might have help with tread wear.

Raja, You might not want to wait to replace the tires. The lower noise level would make your trips much more pleasant.

Tom

• ptjones likes this

#45 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:43 AM

Raja, You might not want to wait to replace the tires. The lower noise level would make your trips much more pleasant.

I sort of agree Tom, but I wanted to get all those trips out of the way so I don't put all those miles on the new tires.  At least from December to May I don't have any long range trips, new tires can have a nice easy life for the first 6 months before getting a workout.

The noise is much better now (less) at highway speeds with the worse tires up front than in the rear.  Still noisy, but much more bearable.

Btw, the tires are still not to the wear limit marker, but they are getting close.  I haven't measured but maybe there is a 1/16 more to go.   A little more in the rear.

-=>Raja.

#46 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:11 PM

I don't remember reading a thread where anyone has got as good mileage as Michelin's by changing tires. The Goodyear Fuel Max tires on my Focus sure were load, alignment had something to do with it. :(

Paul

#47 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 407 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:11 AM

I looked at my third set of tires with 33k miles on them and the leading edge of the outside block is slightly higher than the rear edge on all four tires, I will watch them to see what happens, I think I have 5k on this rotation.  I cross rotate about every 10k miles, I think the tires get noisier as the tread goes away. :(  

Paul

Looks like the problem with my wife's after she hit an island in rain while figuring out the defroster.  Alignment solved the issue, (actually I had to take it back and ask for a print out), before it went away, (almost immediately).

I don't understand why they should get noisy.  Mine go woo woo woo at slow EV speed around 10mph and feel "vibrant" so to speak.  The front ones are worse than the rear ones, last rotation they went to the front and the highway noise is lower now at speed but I can feel that vibe through the steering wheel at crawling speeds.  The vibe goes away with speed.

-=>Raja.

Being on the original tires, I don't have a place to go to to get free balancing, which one usually can get the tires' life worth (lifetime balancing) with new tires.  I suspect impacts, in particular when I couldn't avoid a pothole for example, throwing the balance off, or causing actual damage to a tire.

Even when I checked Raja's tires with my tread gauge, he had significantly more tread than I had with more miles than I had on mine. I am guessing his cooler climate might have help with tread wear.

Tom

Driving style?  I have been driving the C-MAX more, and I think I have to retract my post that "we never" get an estimated EV range in the 20 miles, or higher, anymore.  With me driving around I have seen 20s back again.... 

Edited by jzchen, 13 June 2017 - 01:17 AM.

• ptjones likes this

#48 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 125 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationIllinois
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:43 AM

I'll have to keep an eye on our tires. We are low mileage. Bought car w 14.5k miles on it and only have put 3.5k on it after 6 months. Live in a small town (10k) and rarely drive to work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·