Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

I will soon be ready for tires.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   David Moore

David Moore

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationCape coral, Florida
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi and Toyota camry 2002

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

That's great mileage on the original set. I had a screw in one of my tires and the quicklane fixed it for free. They asked me if the tire had previously been plugged as they won't plug the same tire twice. Now I have another screw in the same tire that was repaired. I was going to replace all the tires but given the fact you're doing so well with your ones I might bring it somewhere else and get it plugged as I've only 46k on them.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:47 PM

You can plug a tire as many times as you want, each repair is its own individual entity and not related to another repair.  You do not need to replace the repair with a patch from the inside, the rubber plug repair will be permanent the way I do them coating the plug with goop it will glue to the tire and become part of it.  You just cut off the excess rubber plug material and the rest will wear with the tire.

-=>Raja. 

• Smiling Jack and sporkinum like this

#23 OFFLINE   John A Smith

John A Smith

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 154 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationBakersfield, California
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Energi

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:11 AM

I finally replaced my tires at 55k miles. I went with the Michelin Premier A/S. What a difference! it's like a different car. Much nicer to drive and quieter. Well worth losing a couple of MPG.
  • jzchen likes this

#24 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:06 AM

Still on my original tires, now at 68k+ miles.  Would be nice once I replace the tires to get rid of the rolling noise...

-=>Raja.

• ptjones likes this

#25 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:43 AM

Down to 3.8mm tread at 27800km on my summer tires. Too many burnouts I guess, or maybe it's because of chip-seal roads.

(4.8 32nds inch and 17236 miles in goof-ball units)

#26 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:59 AM

I think I'm still on the original tires on mine at 43k miles. Need to measure actual tread depth though.

#27 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:46 AM

I finally replaced my tires at 55k miles. I went with the Michelin Premier A/S. What a difference! it's like a different car. Much nicer to drive and quieter. Well worth losing a couple of MPG.

I'm wondering if some of that is 3 yr newer tires and a lot more tread. :headscratch:  Having replaced two sets of Michelin's at 64k mi. which weren't worn out yet but was going to be driving in the snow and didn't want to push it. :smile2: The ride difference was noticeable and was much quieter. :smile2:  For me ride quality is fine and I'm not going to give up any MPG's. :smile2:  BTW I like the handling and braking with 50 psi cold in the tires.

Paul 

#28 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:50 AM

Down to 3.8mm tread at 27800km on my summer tires. Too many burnouts I guess, or maybe it's because of chip-seal roads.

Rough roads and city driving make tires wear out faster. :( 

Paul 

#29 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 407 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:05 AM

Goofball except for ambient temp measurement. Then Farenheight does a better job...

#30 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:18 PM

Rotated tires at 70k again, the noisy ones are in the front now, they are worn a little bit more than the ones in the rear.  Today while at the flying field I saw a screw sticking out of my rear tire....Damn, didn't dare pulling it out at the field as the air might let out and I'd have to fix it right there and then.  Drove home slow (60mph on the highway to prevent it from being thrown out) and got off the highway 28 miles from home and made it all the way back on battery.

I didn't want to pull it but I have to I told myself.  Got the plyers and tugged on it and came out short, only about 3/8th inch long and too short to puncture the tire all the way through, whew!  If it leaked out at least I was in my garage and would just ream the hole out larger and put in a rubber plug with goop to seal it up.

The tire noise seemed less on the highway which is great.  (with the tire rotation).  I'll be going for several road trips this summer so I'm sure to crest 80k before the end of the year.  Will check the wear marks and see how they fare out when I get there.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 03 June 2017 - 08:24 PM.

• ptjones likes this

#31 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 407 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:26 AM

Don't the front positions wear more quickly due to being the drive wheels and majority braking force? (If it was obvious I think I would have left them as is).

#32 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:47 AM

The problem is that with this car the rear tires sit squatted out, negative camber and the tires wear more on the inside edge than the outside edge.  I got it aligned but it didn't change that much.  So I rotate them often otherwise the  rear end insides would bald out over time.

Stand back 100 feet and look at the rear tires on yours, do they look like this?  / \

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 08 June 2017 - 05:50 AM.

• ptjones likes this

#33 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:45 AM

The problem is that with this car the rear tires sit squatted out, negative camber and the tires wear more on the inside edge than the outside edge.  I got it aligned but it didn't change that much.  So I rotate them often otherwise the  rear end insides would bald out over time.

Stand back 100 feet and look at the rear tires on yours, do they look like this?  / \

-=>Raja.

What tire pressure are you using? Getting 64k mi. on two sets of tires with 50 psi, I believe inside wear was slightly more than outside by no more than 1/32. The center was between the two, I believe the 50 psi made the edge of the tires last longer. IMO :smile2:

Paul

#34 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:52 AM

Hi Paul:

I am at 50 PSI also and my tires are now at 72k miles.  I'm going to stretch them to the end of this year before replacing with new ones.  I have trips to Delaware, Indiana, and New brunswick coming up this summer and want to put all those miles on the old tires before I put new ones on.

-=>Raja.

• ptjones likes this

#35 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:10 AM

I ran my first set at 48PSI and they lasted about 46k miles. After the second tire rotation the noise was so bad I had them immediately rotated back. The noise was less and I never rotated the tires again. The tread wear was relatively even across the tire, No cupping  and they were down to just with the warning area when measured with my tire gauge.  There was very little difference in the amount of tread left on front verses the tires on the rear. I could have gone a bit further but one tire got a bad cut in the sidewall and I did not want to risk the tire blowing while hauling the grandkids around.  The car handled well all through the time the first set of tires were on the car.

I put on a new set of OEM tries and got an alinement. Now at 56k miles the tires have been rotated a twice and all is nice and quiet with these tires. 

Tom

• ptjones likes this

#36 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:17 AM

Tom, are you rotating every 5k miles?  I rotated mine every 10k miles.  I think the noise is due to cupping on the tires, not sure what caused it I drive the car normally and nice and easy but if I put my hand on the tires and slide it around the treads I can feel high and low spots.  I think the front pair has this on it now, the noise is less than with them on the back.  Anyway, I hope the next set won't do this like yours seems to be holding up, I've been putting up with noise I got used to it so to speak but it will be really nice to go quiet again.

-=>Raja.

#37 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:10 PM

I would think cupping would be an alignment problem, but you do have a lot of miles on your tires. :smile2:

Paul

#38 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:36 AM

Tom, are you rotating every 5k miles?  I rotated mine every 10k miles.  I think the noise is due to cupping on the tires, not sure what caused it I drive the car normally and nice and easy but if I put my hand on the tires and slide it around the treads I can feel high and low spots.  I think the front pair has this on it now, the noise is less than with them on the back.  Anyway, I hope the next set won't do this like yours seems to be holding up, I've been putting up with noise I got used to it so to speak but it will be really nice to go quiet again.

-=>Raja.

I have been rotating more often since I had to take it in for an inspection. Another 4k miles and I will be due an oil change so the tires will get rotated again. I got free lifetime rotations when the new tires were installed. Ford quick service is very convenient for me as well. In the future I will rotate them at no more than 10k miles each time and less if I am in for other service.

Tom

#39 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 407 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:29 AM

Cupping is a sign of suspension problems, although you are changing the dynamics by upping the pressure from 38 to 50 PSI. Your shocks/struts are taking the shock from bumps more. Think hard tires. Instead of the tires flexing some to reduce impact the shocks/struts take more of the punishment. Of course this reduces heat build-up in the tires but I would think wear the other parts more quickly....

#40 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:16 AM

Cupping is a sign of suspension problems, although you are changing the dynamics by upping the pressure from 38 to 50 PSI. Your shocks/struts are taking the shock from bumps more. Think hard tires. Instead of the tires flexing some to reduce impact the shocks/struts take more of the punishment. Of course this reduces heat build-up in the tires but I would think wear the other parts more quickly....

Going from 38 psi to 50psi I could hardly tell the difference IMO, but I could tell the difference in rolling resistance.  Mine has 157k miles and my steering is noticeably easier than 2017 CMAX with 38psi. :smile2:

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·