Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

I will soon be ready for tires.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   John A Smith

John A Smith

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 154 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationBakersfield, California
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Energi

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:02 PM

Stock tires are Michelin Energy Savers. Should I stick with them or consider the Premier A/S? Longer mile rating snd a little less expensive.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:48 AM

The Premier A/S is a very nice tire that performs well in a wide variety of conditions.  You would probably enjoy driving the car more with the Premier A/S tires.  That said, you will likely lose about 10% of your EV range, and drop a few MPG when in hybrid mode due to the tires not being as highly optimized for very low rolling resistance like the Energy A/S are.  Depending on the type of trips you drive, this might be a non-issue, or a big deal.

#3 OFFLINE   John A Smith

John A Smith

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:20 AM

The Premier A/S is a very nice tire that performs well in a wide variety of conditions. You would probably enjoy driving the car more with the Premier A/S tires. That said, you will likely lose about 10% of your EV range, and drop a few MPG when in hybrid mode due to the tires not being as highly optimized for very low rolling resistance like the Energy A/S are. Depending on the type of trips you drive, this might be a non-issue, or a big deal.

Thank you so much for the input. I have noticed my Energy A/S tires are a bit harsh so I would not at all mind a little softer ride. Would you expect the Premier A/S to be quieter?

#4 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,184 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:46 AM

How many miles do you have on the Energy Savers?

#5 OFFLINE   John A Smith

John A Smith

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:59 AM

How many miles do you have on the Energy Savers?

43K. I could make it to 50K but since I don't have a spare it's not worth it. BTW, I only rotated twice and still the treadwear is perfect and equal all around.

Edited by John A Smith, 30 August 2016 - 08:02 AM.

• fotomoto likes this

#6 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:13 AM

I am at 3 years 54k miles on the original tires. While the gas miles are great, I don't like the rolling noise. You can tune it out by turning up the radio, but it can be annoying in silence.

I'm not sure I want to lose 10% range to eliminate the noise though... I still have at least another year of service on them before I replace though.

-=>Raja.

#7 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:36 AM

43K. I could make it to 50K but since I don't have a spare it's not worth it. BTW, I only rotated twice and still the treadwear is perfect and equal all around.

I too have 43K on the tires. After rotating the second time at 20k miles I had suddenly had major noise. I had the tires rotated back and that helped the noise issue but in general the tires are much noisier  than when they were new. The front tires are worn to a point that they will not pass the next inspection. The tread wear looks very even so I am happy about that.  I plan on replacing them this fall with the stock Michelin Energy Savers. I also plan on having an alinement done when the tires are replaced.

Tom

• John A Smith likes this

#8 OFFLINE   NedB

NedB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax, 2005 FEH & 2007 Prius

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:47 PM

I'm not sure if they are available, and this is apples & oranges, but I love how quiet my Prius runs on my ecopia LRRs, nice & quiet.

#9 OFFLINE   John A Smith

John A Smith

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:30 PM

I too have 43K on the tires. After rotating the second time at 20k miles I had suddenly had major noise. I had the tires rotated back and that helped the noise issue but in general the tires are much noisier than when they were new. The front tires are worn to a point that they will not pass the next inspection. The tread wear looks very even so I am happy about that. I plan on replacing them this fall with the stock Michelin Energy Savers. I also plan on having an alinement done when the tires are replaced.

Tom

If you weren't happy with that tire why would you buy it again?

#10 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:18 AM

If you weren't happy with that tire why would you buy it again?

The only thing I am unhappy about was the noise issue after the second tire rotation. I will look at alternatives but have not yet been convinced that there is a better choice.

Tom

#11 OFFLINE   malaugh

malaugh

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:10 AM

I too have 43K on the tires. After rotating the second time at 20k miles I had suddenly had major noise. I had the tires rotated back and that helped the noise issue but in general the tires are much noisier  than when they were new. The front tires are worn to a point that they will not pass the next inspection. The tread wear looks very even so I am happy about that.  I plan on replacing them this fall with the stock Michelin Energy Savers. I also plan on having an alinement done when the tires are replaced.

Tom

Tom

Are you talking about the stock tires?  I have the same problem.   The rears were noisy, and also I picked up a nail on one of them.   The dealer  replaced both tires with stock Michelin Energy Savers, and now they are dead silent,  That was about 3 months ago, but recently I have noticed that the fronts are getting noisy on some road surfaces. 

If there is a better tire I will have them replaced after I have few more miles on them.   I want a newer tire with little better handling,  The stock tires do not stick to the road like my old (BMW) car.

Any recommendations?

#12 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:31 AM

Tom

Are you talking about the stock tires?  I have the same problem.   The rears were noisy, and also I picked up a nail on one of them.   The dealer  replaced both tires with stock Michelin Energy Savers, and now they are dead silent,  That was about 3 months ago, but recently I have noticed that the fronts are getting noisy on some road surfaces. 

If there is a better tire I will have them replaced after I have few more miles on them.   I want a newer tire with little better handling,  The stock tires do not stick to the road like my old (BMW) car.

Any recommendations?

Yes I have 43k on the original tires. They are not as quiet as they once were but I had to stop rotating the tires because after rotating the tires at 20k miles they became very loud. I did pick up  a nail at round 20k miles in a rear tire prior to rotating them it was fixed with an internal patch but I don't believe this should have been related to the increase in road noise. After rotating them back they were much quieter. I have not rotated the tires since then. The front tires have worn more than the rear tires since I am not rotating them so I will have to replace the tires soon. Since the tread wear looked very even I don't know what the issue was. I will get an alinement when I do replace the tires. 

I have not had any handling issues with the original tires so that is why I am inclined to get another set unless I can be convinced that there is a better choice.

Tom

#13 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:23 PM

Tom,

Did you rotate your tires cross or just front to back? I wonder if rotating only front to back is better for not making noise? Maybe they make noise when you start turning them the other direction? Just thinking out loud...

-=>Raja.

#14 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:02 PM

Tom,

Did you rotate your tires cross or just front to back? I wonder if rotating only front to back is better for not making noise? Maybe they make noise when you start turning them the other direction? Just thinking out loud...

-=>Raja.

I took he car back to The ford dealer service for the tire rotation at 10k and 20k and both times the tires were rotated front to back. I assumed that was the Ford recommended procedure.

Tom

#15 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:28 PM

Actually the Ford recommended procedure is back to front, and front cross to the back.  Maybe they did that are you sure its front to back only?

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 31 August 2016 - 04:30 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:01 AM

I don't think I've seen a dealer or tire shop in the last decade that followed the rotation diagram in the owners manual.  To get them rotated per the owners manual, I have had to do it myself.

On the Ford's I have leased, I debate about 1) rotating the tires in hopes of getting to the end of the 3-years with more than 5/32 on all 4 tires, with the penalty being that I might have to buy 4 new tires right before I turn the car back, or 2) skip the rotation, knowing that I'll almost certainly have to buy 2 tires for the Front, but not for the rear.

#17 OFFLINE   ivebeenrued

ivebeenrued

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:13 AM

If you start researching tires you will likely find the Pirelli P7 A/S+ as ranked as the top tire in our category. In fact, I have had several sets of Pirelli P7 A/S+ tires and up until recently I would have recommended them to anyone but I can no longer in good conscience recommend them to anyone.

In short, I put a set on my C-Max Energi and got one bad one. I ended up getting another TWO defective tires before the dealer was able to get a good one. So that makes 3 of the 7 bad tires...something tells me that they had (or have) something wrong with their manufacturing (which is now out of Brazil).

Below is the timeline of my ordeal:
2/15 - Had to get new tires while on a road trip. Decided on the Pirelli P7 A/S+ tires because of my previous experience with them.
2/16 - Detected an issue on the way home to Virginia.
2/17 - Got tires road force balanced and an out of round tire was detected.
2/17 through 3/12 - Was refused service by 6 Pirelli dealers and had to fight with Pirelli corporate in order to obtain service for the defective tire.
3/13 - Finally got service but the replacement tire was found to be just as out of round as the original. This tire was immediately dismounted and sent back to Pirelli.
3/15 - Second tire was mounted and also found to have wandering tread and a moderate-to-high amount run-out. It was significantly better than the previous two so it remained mounted.
3/15 through 4/9 - Had to fight again with Pirelli in order to obtain service for the second replacement tire.
4/14 - Third replacement tire is installed and the car drives perfectly now. Dealer could not get in contact with Pirelli so they asked me to pay for the tire upfront and was assured that I should be reimbursed for it. Paid $204 not including mounting/balancing for the tire.
4/15 - Dealer sent the THIRD DEFECTIVE TIRE back to Pirelli for analysis and began the process for reimbursement for the $204.
5/31 - Email sent to Pirelli asking for a status update - no response.
6/9 - Another email sent regarding status - Response received 6/16 asking me for the internal Pirelli warranty claim tracking number.
6/16 - Sent an email to Pirelli stating that I was never given a tracking number from Pirelli.
6/24 - Email sent to Pirelli asking for a status update.
7/7 - Email received from the Market Quality Manager apologizing for how the warranty process has been. He stated that the three defective tires had just made it to the warehouse and said that he was going to be personally following this claim and would get back to me in a few weeks.
8/12 - Email sent to Pirelli asking for a status update.
8/16 - Email from Market Quality Manager stating that the credit for the tire appears to have been screwed up somewhere between the Pirelli account manager, distributor, or the dealer. Manager stated that he was going to get it straightened out.
8/24 - Called dealer, was told that Pirelli hasn't sent them any credit for the tire. Dealer was going to contact their Pirelli corporate contact. Contacted Pirelli Market Quality Manager, was told that the credit has been issued but was missing somewhere between the distributor and the dealer. Manager claims that he is going to run this down today.
9/17 - Received letter in the mail regarding the refund and observed the credit on my account.

Edited by ivebeenrued, 26 September 2016 - 05:15 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   John A Smith

John A Smith

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:45 PM

I started this topic with 43K miles on the original tires.  I've been watching them carefully for wear but they just keep going and are now at 53K.  These tires are freaking amazing! I will be setting the C-Max up to be towed behind a motorhome so new tires are going to be a must very soon.  Any new thoughts from anyone out there will be appreciated.  I do want a quieter and softer ride even if I lose some MPG.  Based on IVBEENRUED's experience they won't be Pirelli.  

• Jonathan Ezor likes this

#19 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:46 PM

I replaced the tires at 47k miles. They were not quite down to the minimum tread limit but I had some sidewall damage to one of the tires.  I went with another set of the OEM Michelin's. The original set had become much louder and it was a real pleasure getting back to the very quiet ride. On the original set, at the 20k mile second rotation experienced very loud noise so I had them put the tires back and this helped with the noise. I did no further rotations during the life of the tires. The front tires ended up with slightly more wear then the rears. The tires do get louder as the tread wear increases. The tire wear looked even across the tires. If I had been able to rotate the tires and not have the sidewall damage I suspect that there would have gone a few thousand more miles. I had previously compared my tire wear with Raja's and he had more tread left on his even though his milage was higher than mine. Maybe the hot weather in NC contributes to additional tread wear.

At the time the new tires were installed I had an alignment done so hopefully I will not have any problem rotating the tires this time around.

Tom

#20 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:22 PM

I'm up past 65k and still have the original tires.  The wear as not reached the wear limit marks yet.  I'm planning on going some more with them probably until this coming winter depending on how they fare, past 70k miles for sure.

-=>Raja.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·