Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Charge Faults and slow charging

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mtatecmax

mtatecmax

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUpstate New York
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 CMax Energi

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:39 AM

Hi,

I've had my 2014 C-Max for 1 1/2 years charging on a level 2 G.E. Durastation with no charge issues at all. For the past 8 weeks I've been getting notices of a charge fault on my app, and the car also shows a charge fault on the screen. When I plug in, the car will indicate that it is charging but then at some point between 5 and 30 minutes later, the charge ring blinks quickly for a minute then shuts off. If I leave it plugged in, it will begin to charge again at some point.

I brought it a few weeks ago to my Ford dealer. They are getting no diagnostic codes and the car charged without issue at the shop. I also charged it at a local level 2 GE Wattstation without issue. The dealer refuses to look at my car anymore because it's not throwing a code and they said there's nothing they can do.

So I thought I had it narrowed down to the charger itself. GE replaced the Durastation no-questions-asked. I swapped out the old Durastation with the new one and also replaced the breaker.

I am still getting a charge fault. Then when it does start charging it charges slowly. I can hear a fan running when charging. (by the way, the 110 charger charges the car without issue)

I'm not sure where to go from here. I would like any suggestions because I have an electric car that may or may not charge when needed and I'm not sure if it's the car's problem or the charger's problem or both.

Thanks a lot,

Michelle

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,723 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:01 AM

So the car charges fine on 120v every time?  And it charged fine at the dealer on their 240v charger.  Have you been to other chargepoint public 240 chargers to try there and see how it does?  If it works on those, at the dealer, and on your stock 120v charger, then it most likely is something with the GE charger that you have.

I use the 120v charger almost exclusively unless I'm on the road to use the public chargers (which I do often actually when I travel).  I guess what I meant to say is that I use the 120v exclusively at home.  If you have the time, it works just fine and note that the act of charging and recharging and recharging on 240v so you can go in and out all day on EV power from home may backfire by overheating the battery and causing permanent loss of capacity, so just please be aware of that.

-=>Raja.

#3 OFFLINE   mtatecmax

mtatecmax

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:30 AM

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't want to charge on the 120 all of the time. I would like to diagnose the issue rather than just do a work around for an issue on a $35k car. I know the Nissan Leaf has had issues with the GE Durastation. I wouldn't have thought I'd have issues too since I've been charging on it for 18 months. Also to note, I had a SYNC update because the GPS was losing me and the problem seems like it may have started (coincidentally, possibly) at the same time the charge issue started.

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,723 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:33 AM

Oh I totally understand you need to fix the issue, I'm not saying don't use 240v at all.  Hopefully you will get it fixed up soon!

-=>Raja.

#5 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,173 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 27 August 2016 - 05:55 AM

Chevy sold GEwattstations as their official 240v option and numerous volt owners suffered a similar fate.  Here's a couple:

http://gm-volt.com/f...-my-car-anymore

http://gm-volt.com/f...tation-problems

My advice is a bitter pill:  get a ClipperCreek.

Edited by fotomoto, 27 August 2016 - 05:59 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   mtatecmax

mtatecmax

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:14 AM

Hmm.. Mine is a Durastation though, not a Wattstation.

If the Durastation is the problem- what is it doing to cause the fault at the car? And why would it cause a problem now 1.5 years after I installed it?

I'm accepting all advice for a cheap permanently mounted level 2 charger.

Thanks,

Michelle

#7 OFFLINE   eppyphotog

eppyphotog

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 52 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationPhoenix AZ
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max 303A

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:35 PM

Michelle 

I charge everyday on this one from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Car charges in about 2 hours, no issues. It is on a dedicated 30amp 240v circuit in the garage. Living in Arizona I have seen by HVB battery temps go almost up to the 113˚ limit. I cool the battery at night with an a/c duct into the car. I start charging at 4am before the sun comes up. I agree the 110v charger and 6hour wait is sometimes just too long.

#8 OFFLINE   mtatecmax

mtatecmax

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 04:18 PM

Well I contacted G.E. who remotely monitored my charging at a commercial charge station. They said there were charge irregularities. They are going to contact Ford Engineering. It looks like it might not be the charger after all. I'll keep y'all posted.

#9 OFFLINE   scott2353

scott2353

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationDhaka,bangladesh
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:BMW

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:54 PM

if u share the pic....it would be cool,,,u know..............!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 OFFLINE   chemicalkev

chemicalkev

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationOntario
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:43 AM

I appear to have the same issue.  My car charges fine with 120v.  For the past couple of weeks, the 240V doesn't always complete, and it appears to be getting worse.

When charging with 240V:

- Sometimes there is no handshake (no ring flashing around), sometimes there is

- Usually when there are problems, I don't hear a solid click from under the hood after plugging in.  Normally, you can hear the connection under the hood after about 2 seconds.

- I can see on the Status: Charging HV battery display in the car that the battery is charging for about 30 seconds, then not for about 12 seconds, but those times vary.

- Occasionally, I get a wrench display on the dash "See Manual", but normally I don't.

- Sometimes when the car stops charging, the charging ring flashes, but normally the charge just doesn't complete. It stops in the area of 5-10%

- I can restart the charging to get it charging again.  Sometimes opening the door wakes the car up to start charging again.

- My battery capacity hasn't changed recently, but still off significantly from original.

Anyone have a solution or update?

Edited by chemicalkev, 21 July 2017 - 07:44 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,723 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:07 AM

I'm guessing that there is a cooling issue with charging the HVB.  The charger gets hot and its got some fans to cool it, at 240v it makes alot of heat quicker compared to at 120v.  I would investigate this issue and see if that helps lead ford in the right direction.

You can also verify this issue by going to a chargepoint HV charger.  Plug the car in and wait a few minutes until the car is actively charging.  Then look at the charging rates, instead of a 3.30 kw you might see it bouncing around up and down constantly from 0.5 to 3kw.  That would indicate there is some issue with the charger in the car, again, my guess that its getting overheated as this issue is not present on 120v.

-=>Raja.

#12 OFFLINE   chemicalkev

chemicalkev

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:32 AM

I also think it is a temperature issue.  I took it into a local Ford dealer (the dealer I purchased from is 3 hours away).  The service guy rolled his eyes and gasped when I told him it wasn't charging well.  I don't think they have much experience dealing with EVs at this location.  When I made the appointment originally, I even asked if they knew how to work on the electric system.  The advisor said "Sure, sure, we have master mechanics here.  They can handle that."  Funny how the tune changed when I showed up. 

They said dog hair was blocking the venting.  They blew it out.  I went to charge right after and the same thing happened.  It is taking about 3.5 hours to charge when it should take two.  The outside temperature is much lower today(21 C - ~70F).  You can see on the display that the charging is cycling on and off.  I left all the windows open, hatch open, tipped the back seats forward, and even took the carpet off the top of the battery.  It still cycles the power off to the battery.  

So, that cost me $200 for Ford to try something that wasn't the problem.  I am hoping that someone has some experience with this so I don't have to endure excessive costs, time and frustration while Ford guesses what is wrong while I pay $120/hr for it.  My personal experience with Ford service has been worse than terrible, and I just don't want to go down any paths I don't have to.  

The issue happened for the first time at the end of May (in Canada, so not hot at all), and has been happening more and more frequently.  

#13 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:52 PM

It's not ford it's the dealer doing the guess work.
  • RubyMax likes this

#14 OFFLINE   chemicalkev

chemicalkev

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:21 AM

Ford Manufacturing, Ford Dealer, Ford Service, Ford Corporate.....all part of Ford, under the Ford name, and they all call themselves Ford.  I am not interested in arguing semantics.

I took my vehicle to another Ford Service with a "Certified EV Technician" where they updated the software then charged the car.  The car was "about four updates behind."  Funny how this wasn't done at my last service, or any other service, even when I specifically asked if there were any recalls or updates for my car.

The car had been sitting for a whole day before charging so the battery was likely cool.  They said "It charged in just a hair over two and a half hours.  I am hopeful that this fixed it."  By his tone and his fuzzy time estimate, it sounded like he was lying and that is was significantly more than 2.5 hours.  So, it was probably three hours, just like usual.  The car should charge in two hours with its current battery capacity (~4.3 kWh), so obviously it wasn't fixed.  Another $140 donated to Ford Service. 

Really, unless someone knows of a fix for this, I will just suffer with slow charging.  Several hundred dollars is a lot of gas, and there is no end in sight on how much it will cost until Ford Service does something to actually fix this.    Also, it is a huge hassle to leave the car with Ford Service for the full day.  The car still takes 3 - 4 hours to charge on a cool - hot day respectively. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·