Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Range: New high score!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:01 AM

Just filled up last night in preparation to go to New Brunswick today, man did I break the range meter or what??!  I think what happened is that I was out of EV battery in NH last weekend and I had to drive in hybrid mode behind a slow telsa and the car net over 50mpg doing so at slower speeds.  When I drove on the highway at 65 it was in the mid 40's and the RAFE is now about 47.4.

Crazy never seen it that high, from highway driving at 65 going to FL I got it as high as 632 peak before, this is the highest ever for me, really cool!  It should go down today as there will be some up and down long hills on the way to NB and I'll be driving at the speed limit so the next fillup should tone down to close to 600 miles for the ICE.

-=>Raja.

Attached Files

Edited by rbort, 24 August 2016 - 04:02 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,184 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:50 AM

I can get the similar readings by "EV Banking":  leaving a mile or two of EV range in the battery, switching to hybrid mode while highway driving, switching back to EV mode during braking/coasting, and then switching back to hybrid mode (EV later) upon accelerating back up to highway speeds.   Rinse, lather, repeat till trip is done.  This adds miles of additional EV back into the battery which really messes with the range estimate algorithm the next day:

20140731_075217_zpsvyxh3pwq.jpg

Edited by fotomoto, 24 August 2016 - 04:51 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:49 AM

I don't know if this is pertinent, but someone with NRG just posted this on Hybrid forum: http://fordcmaxhybri...-a-full-charge/ :smile2:

I'm confused, I see 700's miles to Empty all the time, record of low 900's mi. , what am I missing? :smile2:

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 24 August 2016 - 03:57 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:01 AM

900?

How is that possible? 

a 14 gallon tank and a 7.6kWh battery

Even at these high estimates

14g x 55 miles + 7.6kW x 5 miles = 808 miles of range.

seems unrealistic

#5 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:23 AM

Paul, the hybrid guys are driving city streets on a tank of gas, take off on EV, speed up to 15 then burn the ICE and coast as much as possible to get 700+ miles.  

That's totally different from driving on the highway at the speed limit continuously for 100's of miles.

I just arrived in Bangor, ME.   I burned 5.16 gallons of fuel, 51.35 mpg, 265 miles trip.  I used the HVB at slower city streets and the rest was all highway from route 128 in Wellesley up through 95 all the way here at 65mph with the exception of some traffic earlier in the morning here and there when I stayed on the battery.  3% battery on arrival, and I used also 15% battery from 18 down to 3 through Portland Maine on 295.  I shut off the engine a little too late before the exit here, wasted some gas I might have made it here OK with 5.10 gallons but its OK.  Right now my car is having some electrons at Darling Nissan and I'm having lunch at the Longhorn steakhouse.  I always plan it so I can rest, chill down and read the forums while having lunch and charging the car :)

I will top off the tank here at $2.12 a gallon (also about the lowest cost in Maine in this area) before leaving and see what the range tells me shortly.  Incidentally its showing 432 miles left now and about 5/8th of a tank.  On the highway I saw instant MPG of close to 50 on several occasions.

-=>Raja. 

#6 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:26 PM

Updates...

OK, so after the fillup in Bangor the fuel range dropped to 633 miles from 663 miles as expected.  Then in Limestone the last fillup before going into Canada yet again it dropped back to 595 miles as there were alot of uphills on the highway and the car was hard pressed to go much past 45mpg.  Doing the math shows 42.5mpg and that's about right from what I was seeing on that last leg.  I managed to get it up to 45mpg by burning 2kwh of the battery that I charged up in Bangor, the rest of the battery I burned from the border all the way to my buddy's house less 7%, again, didn't use it all up but close, and for the total of the 2nd trip of about 184 miles the net was 50.0mpg  Total trip net for about 450 miles is 50.7mpg.

-=>Raja.

#7 OFFLINE   David Burnett

David Burnett

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationflorida
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:energi

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:00 PM

Enjoy it while it lasts.. after 2 years I only get 17 miles max where I used to get 31-33.  Hopefully my battery is just defective. 

#8 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:15 AM

Sorry to hear that David, all batteries wear out but some can last longer than others depending on how you treat them.  I try to always to manage the battery I made some posts here how to best treat the HVB in hopes to help others do so as well.

Here is a picture of it full as of 9am this morning, I have it programmed to start charging at 4am here.  Note you can see the range of the ICE dropped to 595, its showing 594 now I did one short burn up a hill that I didn't want to use the battery on due to the ICE being already hot and ready.

While the battery shows 36 miles, it won't actually go that far on battery alone.  The higher range is due to me using it sparingly along with the ICE.

-=>Raja.

Attached Files

Edited by rbort, 25 August 2016 - 05:48 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationEmmaus, PA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 01 September 2016 - 04:11 AM

MFM claimed 31 miles for me yesterday, after a trip I did mostly on EV later because it had big hilly highway segments and the battery was mostly empty due to a morning trip. I turned it on at the top of a big-ass hill right before my exit from the interstate, which is probably where it got the idea that it was up for 31 miles. After a 10.2-mile round trip yesterday it's back down to 27 miles fully charged.

Edited by ShoulderThingThatGoesUP, 01 September 2016 - 04:12 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio

Posted 01 September 2016 - 04:47 AM

I hit 40 !!!

Attached Files

#11 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:31 AM

I hit 40 !!!

Your cumulative score is only 46.7? That is pretty low for an Energi. Do you do a lot of road miles?

#12 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:19 AM

I had just reset it before an 800 mile road trip that was all 70+mph highway miles.

#13 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:56 PM

Another update:

Now I am in Montreal, I drove here on Tuesday after spending 6 nights in New Brunswick. I drove back and forth using about 0.6 gallons of gas average each way 55 miles for 6 trips, plus driving around in NB most of the local stuff on EV power until I left there and drove about 400 miles to here now. I have 69 miles left of gas, and so far I've been getting by on EV power here in Montreal.

Looking at MFM, since I am in Canada and not a whole lot of EV drivers I got two 1st places as Renaissance man and longest distance driven on 1 tank so far, and two 2nd places for brake miles and 100% EV. I think some people drive in L all the time and that is how they rack up high brake miles, I have not done that to make 1st place in that. Also not possible to get 100% EV due to driving long distances but it's pretty cool to see the rankings where they are at now.

I was going to leave tomorrow but my sister wants me to stay until next week so I'm trying to run on EV power alone until then as I need that last bit of gas to get out of Canada and back to a US gas station. Gas here is 50% more costly, not saying I won't get some but 30 miles range in Montreal is pretty easy to deal with and stay on EV power.

-=>Raja.
  • ptjones likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·