Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Is it true that the HVB charges the 12 volt battery?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,337 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:13 PM

OK looks like its time for me to clarify some stuff for you.

1) Hold the left OK button and power up the car with your foot on the brake as normal.  KEEP holding the OK button for several seconds, about as long as it takes for the 4 beeps to stop (no seatbelt on) and you will see ET in the left box.  At that point you can look through several new screens, one showing the battery under charge at 14.0v on mine (I just did this) and your RAFE, running average fuel efficiency of the ICE, an interesting item to see.  If you multiply this number by 14, when you fill the gas tank, that's the range you will get on gas.

2) There are 3 meters, none are lifetime summary meters in a 2013 model.  The first one, I call the "outside meter" is the one you see showing 71.6 in all the screens that you scroll through on the left side, empower, enlighten, etc.  You can reset that at any time, its independent of the others.

2a) Then there is trip meter 1, it has its own mpg reading tallied separate from the outside meter.

2b) Then there is trip meter 2, it has its own mpg reading tallied separate from the outside meter.

2c) And finally on a 2013 model if you're lucky enough to have the OEM one not hacked by Ford, there is the Lifetime summary meter shown after the trip meter AFTER you power off the car.  Those two are separate from the rest, and you can reset the lifetime summary meter is a separate screen in the left side.

SO, what's with all the meters?  Well the lifetime summary shows my lifetime car average, say 68mpg.  The trip 2 meter shows my this year car average, say 78mpg so far this year plus gas burned.  Trip1 meter shows any trip I take throughout the year performance and fuel burned, and the "outside meter" I use to reset the most often, to show my current burn average, so either in EV mode or when I get on the highway to see the ICE performance.  Don't use the outside meter for lifetime summary, that the one that should be used most frequently to check how the car is doing say at 55mph vs 65mph vs 75mph on the highway at 1/2 hour intervals for example, or for every 1 gallon burned, or whatever you choose.

I'm not worried about my 12v battery, even at 12.26v.  You don't need to worry unless you start dropping voltage below 40% charge level, or less than 11.9v then you're in the yellow, anything above 11.9 you're in the green for battery life.

Try doing exactly what I said above again, you should for sure get into ET mode, many other people besides me have done it.

-=>Raja.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   daudette

daudette

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:12 PM

Thanks for the clarification.  It worked.  The difference was apparently holding my foot on the brake as to "start" the car.  It's parked in the garage and I only tried previously in "accessory mode" (foot off brake).

But before I got in the car to try your instructions, I checked the 12v battery by putting my multimeter on the "jump" terminals under the hood and it read 12.65 volts.  

So then I got in and brought up ET mode as I explained above in the first paragraph.   When I got into ET mode and found the voltage meter that you mentioned, it read 14.1 so I have no idea what it is referring to since the 12v battery was 12.65 volts.   When I finished browsing I turned it off and again checked the battery voltage with the multimeter under the hood.  Now the voltage is 12.29 volts.  I plugged the car in to 115v house power (EVSE) to charge although it was already fully charged.  With it on the charger I checked the 12v battery voltage and it was 12.24.   I unplugged the EVSE again and read the voltage under the hood again.  It was 12.24 volts now.

I don't understand the sudden and dramatic drop on the multimeter and I don't know what the dashboard voltage meter was reading at 14.1 volts.

#23 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,337 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:01 PM

When you powered up the car, the car is automatically charging the 12v battery like a regular car idling the engine with the alternator going.  Powering up the car takes some energy out of the 12v battery to close the contacts, plus you opened the door, lights, etc.  Then you probably didn't have the car on much, and also there might be something still drawing power from the 12v battery, like MFM trying to communicate any trip you might have done, which would cause the 12v battery to drop to 12.24.  I wouldn't sweat that too much.  When you plugged the car in, it may have already been charged or was it not?  The 12v battery should start charging if the car is charging, was the car full or not?

See my video above, plugging in the car should automatically kick the voltage of the 12v battery up to 14.xxx v.

Go check the battery now again, if you can without opening the door first, maybe you left the window down then you can pop the hood without using the lights (opening door).  Then see what its at, as it may have bounced back towards 12.5v.

-=>Raja.

#24 OFFLINE   David Moore

David Moore

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationCape coral, Florida
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi and Toyota camry 2002

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:06 PM

OK,  The fancy charger I bought from Walmart Sunday evening charged the 12v battery.  However, research as shown that the car's plug can also charge the battery.  Monday morning I drove a 30 mile trip to work.  I got out of the car and went back to the car to get something five minutes later and the display told me again that it was shutting system down to save power.  I called Sam Galloway Ford here in Fort Myers and arranged to have it looked at this morning at the quick lane.

The have a good consierge service there that listen and take notes on everything that I have tried in order to speed up the diagnoses.  I left the car with them as they told me that they have a battery testing tool that can take some time to perform the tests required.  They called me later to say that there was a bad cell in the battery but they were going to replace it under warrenty!  Happy days. They also replaced my air filter for free because I moaned that they didn'r replace it at my 35k mile service (they said it was clean enough and could probably see 50k miles).  I collected the car and just put it on their EV charger until I finish work.  There's a good long cable on their charger that was able to stretch accross the Lincoln Navigator that was in the EV spot!

I can't fault my local dealer.  They go out of their way to keep the customers happy.  Let's see how the week with the new battery goes.

• Tom_NC_1 likes this

#25 OFFLINE   Firemom233

Firemom233

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 12 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationAlpharetta Georgia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Energi/ 2012 Chevy Volt

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:30 PM

I must say, since finding this forum my favorite person is Raja! He is full of some incredible information about these cars!!

Thanks Raja, you're the best!

:worship:

#26 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,337 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA