Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Going long range

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:48 PM

Raja, Here are the results from my trip from NH to NC going the longer route through PA. I forgot to reset this trip meter until after the first 10 miles so I did miss some of the EV driving. The whole trip was done on a single charge. Started with a full tank and topped it off in PA. Did not fill up until after I got home.

I please with the 43.0MPGe for this 873 mile trip. 

Tom

Attached Files

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:42 PM

Nice job Tom, and you probably didn't even have to try very hard, this car does pretty well on its own.

-=>Raja.

#23 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:02 AM

Raja, sounds like you had as much fun as I used to have with my five-speed Saab on those hilly roads!

#24 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationEmmaus, PA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:13 AM

I'll try to remember to set my trip computer as I drive from here to north of Boston next week.

#25 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:40 AM

Nice job Tom, and you probably didn't even have to try very hard, this car does pretty well on its own.

-=>Raja.

You are right about that. Other than trying keeping my speed to reasonable Highway speeds nothing special at all just letting CC do its thing. I had a variety of driving issues on that trip. It took over an hour to go three miles on I495 in MA due to a problem with a bridge that closed down two of the three lanes during the morning rush hour. I switched to EV for that time. Drove a bit faster to try an make up a little time and had another 45 minute delay on I81 in PA due to construction. That was another opportunity to drive EV.

Made a quick pitstop and when I started the car the Bluetooth was stuck in connecting and I had no audio. Could not clear the issue or change to radio. Got the phone to play a podcast on its speakers. About a half hour later I stopped in PA for gas. When I started the car the bluetooth problem had cleared. This issue has only happened a couple of times. I have since update my iPhone IOS to 9.3.4 and everything is working so time will tell if the I will ever see this problem again.

Tom

#26 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationEmmaus, PA

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:06 AM

Trip legs when I went to Massachusetts last week (lots of stops because I have a pregnant wife and a two-year-old):

Length    MPGe    EV%
 91.9     45      45
110.7     42      37
  6.3     41      41 (Daddy, I have to go potty!)
146.1     40      32
Return:
101.5     37      26
 68.0     38      25
161.8     42      36    

I did most of the return trip on EV Later to try to save battery for non-highway roads at pit stops and after we got back home.

Edited by ShoulderThingThatGoesUP, 22 August 2016 - 08:06 AM.

#27 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:09 AM

Shoulder,

How fast did you drive on the highway in EV later?

-=>Raja.

#28 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationEmmaus, PA

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:12 AM

About 70 MPH most of the time. Cruise control in this car is delightful; it really reduces fatigue and the automatic regenerative braking going downhill makes it easy to pass trucks with electric assist going uphill without changing speed.

#29 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:21 AM

You can get a little better gas mileage at 65/66 vs 70.  I usually set mine to the fastest speed I can (around 65 level and 66 downhill) that keeps the cruise coach bar in the blue, too fast it turns yellow and less than 1/2, more air drag the faster you go.

You can also get better mpg if you use eco cruise and let the car lose some speed up hills.

If you want to be more involved in the drive, you can also get better mpg or mpge if you don't let the car speed up down hills and instead recharge the hvb harder by using hill assist or L in some cases.  On the side roads at cruise of 38 for example, you may find that you need to disable cruise just before the crest of a hill as the car will overspeed automatically down the other side not knowing that the road suddenly turned downhill.  Once you're on the down slope and the hill is not too steep, re-enable cruise.  If its steep then disable cruise and turn on hill assist at the same time, once the hill is leveling off, turn off hill assist and re-enable cruise.

All those little things you do add miles to your EV range, and you might end up going from 17 miles to 27 miles range even with the AC on, with the AC off it could be 30 miles per charge, certainly not out of the question depending on how you drive.

-=>Raja.

#30 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationEmmaus, PA

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:56 AM

How do I find the cruise coach? I did have it on eco cruise, so it did recharge the HVB going downhill.

#31 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:09 AM

Cruise coach is in the same page as braking coach and acceleration coach.  Its the middle screen on the left, fuel economy I think.  Up down arrow on that screen, one is coach the other is the fuel efficiency bars.

On the highway it is best if you maintain the engine run and keep the hvb at +2% of the set point.  This means if you go over a "flyover" up and over another road and back down (on the highway) then you need to restart the engine on the downhill side once the hill subsides.

Watch my videos on youtube, helps alot.

-=>Raja.

• ptjones likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·