Ford C-MAX Energi Owners Forum welcomes you.
You're at the largest Ford C-MAX Energi community on the web!

Custom Search

Welcome to Ford C-Max Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford C-Max Energi Forum, like most online communities you must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-Max Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Ford Focus Energi Forum Here.

Advertisements

Photo
- - - - -

C-MAX Energi: Fuel Saving Tips and Tricks

fuel mileage driving tips

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   fwroberts

fwroberts

Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • 522 posts
  • LocationMontague, MA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Energi - 303A
  • Color:Oxford White

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

Siding with DozerBob, not a bad thing in my opinion. 

But you brought up another question I've been meaning to ask, i.e. when to do trip and avg mpg resets.

I'm in the habit of reseting the avg mpg (hold OK button on left steering wheel control for 2 seconds) at every fill up, so my avg mpg is for the current tank.

I reset trip1 and trip 2 before I leave for work, and reset trip 2 before I leave for home (from work), so when I arrive home I see the avg mpg for my commute to/from work (trip1) and the avg mpg for my homeward bound commute (trip2). I mostly use EV-auto on the way to work, so the trip home usually shows a lower avg mpg.

So when do others reset the avg mpg? (hold OK button on left steering wheel control for 2 seconds)

Rick

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   mikeb

mikeb

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • 264 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi
  • Color:Blue Candy

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

I tie Trip 2 to the tank, use Trip 1 for specific trips (like weekend hiking trip). So far, I've generally reset the non-trip average when I reset either 1 or 2, so I can see the value without jumping over to the full trip displays..

#43 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • 970 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Energi
  • Color:Ruby Red

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

My test result is in. Almost stacked it up playing with it tho' :doh: .

I never noticed the arrows before because I use the Engage function and inadvertently had the arrows turned off for that function.

The result is that I do get an up arrow , while in D, coasting most but not all the time. When I shift to N the arrow disappears and you can feel the car free wheel more.

Attached Files

#44 OFFLINE   fwroberts

fwroberts

Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • 522 posts
  • LocationMontague, MA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for confirming. N=no battery charging while coasting.

Not sure what your image is showing. It looks like you're in P with speedometer reading zero.

#45 OFFLINE   fwroberts

fwroberts

Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • 522 posts
  • LocationMontague, MA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

MikeB - I agree that the non-trip avg mpg is more accessible, so it makes sense to reset it if you want to keep your eye on avg mpg while on a trip. Good idea. 

#46 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • 970 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

Thanks for confirming. N=no battery charging while coasting.

Not sure what your image is showing. It looks like you're in P with speedometer reading zero.

The image shows 66.7 MPG along with odometer reading KWh and some other stuff.

If you are on a PC you can click on the thumbnail and it should blow it up into a viewable image.

#47 OFFLINE   fwroberts

fwroberts

Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • 522 posts
  • LocationMontague, MA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

Don - can you explain what you deduce about your performance from your display. You drove 1706 miles on 25.54 gallons, and 91.6 miles were EV miles.

Your avg mpg is 66.7 (1706/25.54) which is what Fuelly would show...if you were using it.

Or you could subtract out the EV miles and say that your gas engine was getting (1706-91.6)/25.54=63.2mpg

So how do you look at performance?

Rick

PS - either way, those are really impressive numbers!

#48 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • 970 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

Rick- Actually I am still trying to figure out what the display is telling me. There is no way we are getting 63.2 mpg and I am certain that we have several hundreds of EV miles instead of the 91.6 so something is awry.

It is only per your request that I decided to show any data at all and I am actually waiting, as the manual suggests, until the car has a few thousand miles on it before I was going dive into understanding how to measure the performance based on the data shown in the various displays in the car

The ideal way to measure performance, as has been discussed before, is to measure actual watts that go into the car and then convert those to the gas equivalent (Ge) and then add those equivalent gallons to actual gallons of gas (G) that go into the car and divide the sum into miles traveled (M) to get an actual MPGe:  MPGe= M/(Ge+G).The calculation cannot be done without having a wattmeter hooked up to the charger which I don't have. The next best option is to have a very good way of interpreting what the vehicle display is actually reporting and it is clear that I have some homework to do in that area.

Common sense should tell all of us that there is no way that Ford shows an EPA MPG of 43 and we are managing to get 63.2.

BTW- If trusted the EV miles display your second calculation would be the one I would use. Off the top of my head I would find it plausible that perhaps the 91.6 EV miles should actually be 916 EV miles since we have owned the car for a bit over 30 day and I am guessing we do average about 25-30 EV miles per day. If that were the case our MPG would be: (1706-916)/25.54=30.93 which I would totally believe for the ICE while it is breaking in.

Edited by Don, 24 February 2013 - 09:06 PM.

#49 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • 642 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Color:Sterling Gray

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:20 AM

Don, it's probably 1091 miles in EV... The car rolls the trip EV miles to 0 after 999.9 EV miles.
  • Don and hybridbear like this

#50 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • 970 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

Honemch- Ah ha! Thanks for that information and that would be entirely plausible. Wow our EV use is a much higher percentage of our "normal" use than I was expecting. The bad news is that our ICE is only getting: (1706-1091)/25.5= 24.11 MPG. Hopefully the low MPG will improve after break in. What about the 223 Kwh, that shows in the display, is that a rollover number also?

If the 223 Kwh + the 25.5 gallons is the actual energy that the car used to go 1706 miles here is what I come up with:

The Ge (gas equivalent of the Kwh) = 223/32.8 = 6.8 Ge

The MPGe for the car is 1706/(6..8+25.5)=52.8 MPGe

So if Fuelly had a way to enter the Kwh and let you select gas type (so it could do the proper Ge conversion) then add that to actual gallons of gas consumed and divide the total into the miles traveled and report the number as MPGe I would probably be on board with Fuelly.

BTW-It should be noted that actual ICE MPG is probably better than calculated since, IMHO, some of the EV miles are actually miles created using potential resulting from ICE operation. Never the less the total MPGe is what it is based on total Energy consumed by the car to get the miles traveled by the car.

Soap Box Statement  :soapbox: : IMHO the  "value"  in sharing MPG and MPGe, with others, is to help them make an informed decision on a potential purchase. If the potential buyer is just looking at gas savings possible then the major factor they must include, when considering a PHEV over a HEV or ICE, is what percentage of their use of the vehicle will take advantage of the EV part. Perhaps a good "normalizing" factor, in a Fuelly report, would be a percentage of ICE or EV use for the miles being reported. In my case it would be (1706-1091)/1706 * 100 = 36% total miles traveled were ICE miles.

Edited by Don, 25 February 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#51 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • 642 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

Don, the problem with your calculation is the regen miles are calculated into the EV miles. The ICE creates a lot of those regen miles. To calculate the true mpg of the ICE, when you turn the car off you'll get a summary of EV miles and regen miles. Subtract the regen miles from the EV miles. Then subtract that number from the total miles and you'll have miles travelled from gas.

(Total Miles - (EV Miles - Regen Miles)) / Gallons Consumed = MPG from ICE

Another thing I discovered today is the kWh meter counts the electricity burned from regen miles, but also rolls backwards from regeneration.
  • Don and hybridbear like this

#52 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • 970 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

Honemch- I do state some EV miles are regen miles created by the ICE and I was not sure how to factor that in. Excellent that you show there is a way to come up with actual MPG for the ICE. Thanks for that :smile2: . When the car comes home this evening I will look for the summary (would be nice if we could query this info. through MFM).

It will take me a bit to digest what the KWh meter rollback means but do you think my calculation of total MPGe is correct: Total miles traveled / (Ge+G) = MPGe ; where Ge is the calculated gas equivalent of the KWh being shown by the display and G is the Gallons of gas shown on the display?

Edited by Don, 25 February 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#53 OFFLINE   fwroberts

fwroberts

Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • 522 posts
  • LocationMontague, MA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

Good discussion, much to understand.

Rick

#54 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • 281 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R
  • Color:Decline

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

My wife just sent me this regarding her 47 mile commute from Costa Mesa to downtown LA.

"Got 48.4 MPG on the way in to work.  I think that’s pretty good considering I didn’t use any electricity and I was in horrible traffic (I left our house at 7:40am and got into work at 9:25am)." 

So the heck with the EPA 43.  It can be done, as DozerBob has done it consistently.

She is a better hybrid driver than I am in the first couple weeks and I have owned a Prius and (very shortly) RX400h (drove across trom UT to CA and then across the country to sell it in D.C.). 

The RX was ~30mpg at 55, 26mpg at 65 and 23mpg at 75. 

On that cross country run in the RX hybrid I got a ticket east of Amarillo doing 105 (got stuck between two cars that sped up going over a rise that were working with the Texas Highway Patrol/County Sheriff on the other side of the rise in an entrapment sting - pulled all three vehicles over and gave me a ticket.)  The patrolman had the wide brim hat and the chin band on the outside of his chin.   He came up to the passenger window and screamed like a drill sergeant, " Godamn do you know how fast you were going?"

No.

Edited by altabrig, 01 March 2013 - 09:47 AM.

#55 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • 281 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

Not sure what those C&D, Dan Neil, and CR journos are doing besides dreaming of Mario Andretti while in the Cmax.

Here is my wife's Iphone snap of her morning EV LATER commute.   The EPA  43mpg doesn't  look so high when she is at the wheel.

EVlater3.1

#56 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • 281 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

Relatively flat 49 mile run and over 50mpg this am.   Warmer weather = increased mpg.  All EV LATER!  Lower speeds - push it upgrade and coast it downgrade.

Our energis' efficiencies correlate strongly with temperature.  Very noticeable increase from 44-47mpg EV Later during last week's 20-30 degree colder temps.

EV later Warm weather

Edited by altabrig, 12 March 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#57 OFFLINE   fwroberts

fwroberts

Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • 522 posts
  • LocationMontague, MA

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

Nice numbers altabrig! My mpg is climbing too now that the weather is warming up.

Rick

#58 OFFLINE   rtshinn

rtshinn

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • 252 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Energi 302a+Sunroof

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:00 AM

Yes, temperature is a big deal. I did notice from the start that our friends here in Southern CA were getting way better numbers.

#59 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • 281 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

Energi Queen

125.1 MPGe?  What is the real mpg if the Lithium EV Now mode was used for ~20 miles of the trip 42 mile?  Hybrid 66.6 MPG? 

EDIT- ICE only  would be ~ 26.6 MPG?   Guesstimations all.

Edited by altabrig, 14 March 2013 - 08:10 AM.

#60 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • 397 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

Does anyone know how the C-Max calculates the 125.1 MPG in the above example?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users