Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

C-MAX Energi: Fuel Saving Tips and Tricks

fuel mileage driving tips

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   rhea

rhea

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 172 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationOkeechobee, FL
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Really encouraging. 

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

Dozer,

Love your surfing post.

We have owned the max only a day and I haven't even finished the manual.  Wife will be driving it for a few months on her LA commute.  

Forgive my ignorance.  How is the battery charging up to 28 miles worth of EV time?  How high can you charge it with just the plug in greater than the state 21?   Is it just the vehicles AI software estimation of how far you particularly are able to get out of your battery, wereas someone like me who only has a few minutes driving the Max will only milk half that out of the vehicle in EV? 

I hope I can get my wife to read your post.   Do you ever go to ev now?   If I missed it in your post, do you keep it in EV later all the time?

#23 OFFLINE   jeffegg2

jeffegg2

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 187 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Locationwestland, mi.
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:52 AM

Yes, pushing for more ev charging stations at work would help us out a lot!

I am in cold Michigan, If I run the heat the ev miles drop almost in half, but the heated seats don't take much off the miles. If really cold, I can run the heat at 65 on recirculate mode and my passengers will be warm enough, but I expect much better when the weather warms up!

#24 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

DozerBob's modified pulse and glide i.e. uphill paddle with the ICE and downhill regen/EV surf based on subtle terrain changes is the way to drive the Energi with max efficiency. 

Visualizing this has as proven quite helpful on the freeway while keeping speeds between 55-65 mph.

#25 OFFLINE   EVger

EVger

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Energi

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

Forgive my ignorance.  How is the battery charging up to 28 miles worth of EV time?  How high can you charge it with just the plug in greater than the state 21?   Is it just the vehicles AI software estimation of how far you particularly are able to get out of your battery, wereas someone like me who only has a few minutes driving the Max will only milk half that out of the vehicle in EV? 

I often get estimates of 25-28 miles of electric range using the cord provided.  Even when the car estimated 27 mile electric range, the only time I checked I actually got only 22 miles.  Of course, the estimate is a projection based on previous driving. 

#26 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

So, to clear up my newbie confusion, does "coasting" while in EV mode regenerate the battery?   Such as while approaching a stop and prior to putting on the brakes.  And does operating in L drive result in higher regeneration, as another discussion appeared to confirm?

#27 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Energi

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Coasting does not regenerate the battery. You can either use brakes, L gear, or grade assist for battery regen.

The battery symbol will display a regeneration animated graphic when it is regenerating.

Edited by Don, 23 February 2013 - 11:08 AM.

#28 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

I think whenever you have the up arrow above the battery you are charging it.  Down arrow below = discharge.   When coasting to a stop the down arrow will come on even if the brakes haven't been touched.  Whether or not it is actually charging without the brake, low, or hill assist - I don't know. 

The one thing I would like to see, similar to a gen 2 prius is the speed of recharge in a graphic for hill assist or L.  The prius MFD showed it when in B (regen - like hill assist mode.)

#29 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

The wife was driving the Max today for the first time, and I noticed on a downhill segment she was coasting and the up arrow was showing. The car was in D. So was there regeneration going on or not?  Just trying to make sure I understand how this thing works so as to get the most benefit out of it.  Thanks.

Oh, one more related question.  When the ICE is running is it recharging the battery?

Edited by ArizonaEnergi, 23 February 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#30 OFFLINE   EVger

EVger

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Energi

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

The car regens while coasting.

#31 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

The up or down arrows tell whether energy is going into or out of the battery.  Sometimes when the ICE is running, it's charging the battery, sometimes it's not, and sometimes the ICE is running and the battery is discharging as the electric motor gives it some extra push.  In the Engage display on the left side of the steering wheel you can see all of this.

#32 OFFLINE   fwroberts

fwroberts

Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMontague, MA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Energi - 303A

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Don - I think the Energi does recharge the battery while coasting.

Pressing the brake peddle will cause the regen symbol to appear, but using grade assist button or shifting into L doesn't show the regen spinning thingie.

I think the best indication of battery charging is the up-arrow above the battery symbol...if you have that feature enabled.

I agree with altabrig that having a display to show "how much" the battery is being charged would be helpful. We already have an indication of how much the battery is being discharged, e.g. the blue power kW graph semi-circle thingie.

(sorry for using such highly technical terms, like thingie...;-)

Rick

#33 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Could be true but counterintuitive if it is. This has been discussed before in terms of what is more energy efficient: coasting down a hill and then using all the potential for momentum (how a roller coaster works) or using the potential to charge the battery then use the battery energy to drive the electric motor. The later scenario robs more energy when you take into account the loses in energy conversion. Since there are specific ways to force the car to regenerate (Low gear, grade assist, and brakes) I am surprised coasting, when in D, also puts drag on the system for battery regeneration.

#34 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, Mini Cooper S ALL4

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

By 'coasting' are you talking about the 'gear' lever in N, or in D with no accelerator pedal pressure?

#35 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

I would hope that you could coast in D without having to shift to N.

The concept of pulse and glide should not require a shift from D to N.

To maximize efficiency and reduce the amount of gasoline used there should be no additional drag introduced, I.E. driving a generator to charge the battery, when in glide mode.

Edited by Don, 23 February 2013 - 07:49 PM.

#36 OFFLINE   DonS

DonS

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationusa
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

The car regens during coasting. Part of the reason is to reproduce the driving dynamics we are used to with unavoidable engine braking. Part is that usually one is coasting before stopping and recouping that energy smoothly is easier and more reliably attained with regen as the car gradually slows during coasting than by slow application of the brakes.

#37 OFFLINE   fwroberts

fwroberts

Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationMontague, MA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:46 AM

Don - try coasting in N down a hill and observe the battery up/dn arrows. I haven't tried this, but it would let you know if there is a difference between coasting in D or N.

Let me know what you find. It's snowing here today so I probably won't be driving.

Rick

#38 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:01 AM

I'll do the test later today when I go down for Ruby's, third ever, fill up of gas (dealer put in a tank so this is our second trip to the gas station).

#39 OFFLINE   fwroberts

fwroberts

Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationMontague, MA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:47 AM

Okay, let us know what you find.

On another note, are you recording your fill up's in Fuelly? If so, you can add a Fuelly banner to this forum so we can all see your avg mpg...

Rick

#40 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

No Fuelly for me. I am siding with dozerbob on the reasons why.

There has been lots of banter about the value or non-value of using Fuelly especially in the way it takes in and reports data for a PHEV.

I see way more value in posting actual photos of the instrument display of the car.

Today, when I go to the gas station, I plan to take a photo of the display and then do a trip reset and take another photo at the next fill up.

BTW- The reporting of MPG and MPGe has very little value on its own. Currently the data reported on fuelly is only about bragging that you are using less gas which is mostly an indicator that you use the car more for short trips than the next guy. I really don't care about how people use the car I want to know how the car performs.

Edited by Don, 24 February 2013 - 09:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·