Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Spare Tire

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationcentral
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max energi, Fusion Ti Hy, Mustang GT, Triumph TR7

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:48 AM

I confirmed that the spare from a 2013-2015 fusion will fit a 2013 c-max nrg.  I put it on the rear and drove about 2 miles.  Oddly, no TPM ,warning.

I also noticed the lug nuts were different between the Fusion and C-max nrg.  The nrg acorns are deeper.

Edited by tr7driver, 28 September 2014 - 10:55 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   rafacq

rafacq

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 154 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationDallas
  • Current Vehicle:Oxford White CMAX Energy

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:36 AM

I have a CMAX Energi and am concerned about a long trip without a spare tire.  On a recent trip to Portland to visit friends, we had a flat tire 30 miles east of Portland on I84.  It was a Sunday afternoon.  Used the pump and tire flat mix without success. The tire had a slash on the inside side and the sealant just camer right out.  Called Ford roadside assistance and they would send a truck to tow us to the nearest dealer (10 miles away, but being Sunday it was closed.  We would have to find a hotel, spend the night then somehow make it to the dealer in the morning.  Not acceptable solution.

Thankfully my friend had AAA Premier membership.  Called AAA who came (25 min wait) and towed us to his home in Portland, with the car left parked on the street.  Ford came and towed the car the next day.  My friend had to buy a new OEM tire, not cheap! $250.  And no sales tax in Oregon, otherwise add 8% to that.

The incident has me worried, as we are planning a road trip, Dallas to Amarillo (350 miles).  Sure wish Ford sold a "donut" sized spare for the CMAX.  In reading this forum, it seems like a fussion spare will fit, but only in the back.  Can someone confirm this?  When we travel is just my wife and me, so we can fold the rear seats for extra storage.

Another friend installed a hitch on his CMAX.  I'm wondering if anyone could come up with a kit to carry a spare mounted on a hitch?

#43 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:33 PM

A compact spare tire and various storage locations in the Energi, including a possible mounting on a bike rack.  The problem with this location is that it blocks the tag and something would have to be done about that.  What I bought: http://fordcmaxhybri...hybrid/?p=30332

Updated with bike rack location.

Attached Files

Edited by ArizonaEnergi, 11 April 2015 - 12:55 PM.

#44 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 507 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:45 AM

A compact spare tire and various storage locations in the Energi, including a possible mounting on a bike rack.  The problem with this location is that it blocks the tag and something would have to be done about that.  What I bought: http://fordcmaxhybri...hybrid/?p=30332

Updated with bike rack location.

Thanks for sharing!

The bike rack picture does not look like it is secure, or is it?

Probably look into runflats personally if she keeps the car that long.

#45 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:45 AM

The bike rack picture does not look like it is secure, or is it?

It's just stuffed into there.  It would need to be secured to the rake in some fashion.

#46 OFFLINE   P=E/t

P=E/t

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 310 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPhiladelphia PA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:15 AM

This thread is highly useful, and I appreciate everyone's creative ideas in terms of what to do about flats. I'm probably going to go with a full-size OEM tire and wheel, and use it primarily on long trips. It's big, it's heavy and it's expensive, but my recent experience with a slow flat on local driving demonstrated to me in no uncertain terms how brutish a flat tire can be on a car without a spare.

There are a whole series of Catch-22s and no-win scenarios when we get a flat on a C-Max.

-The repair kit may or may not hold pressure, and you only get one shot. (I'm getting two canisters when I pick up my replacement!)

-You can call Ford Roadside Assistance, but it's only going to be for a tow. The literature clearly states that they only replace the tire if the customer has a working spare. (Since I can put on a spare myself in like 10 minutes or less, I wouldn't be inclined to call anyway. But no spare!)

-Even if you successfully use the latex in your tire, now you have NO OPTIONS but a tow if you happen to get another flat, or if the primary repair still goes down slowly.

-According to the literature, the tire pressure monitoring system on the affected wheel needs to be serviced/replaced by Ford after a flat is repaired.

-Finally, my long-term mechanic (who I had fix the flat) said I still have to bring the car back to have all that latex cleaned out of my tire--here's the kicker--because it corrodes the wheel itself, given enough time.

So a proper spare it is for me.

Edited by P=E/t, 09 May 2015 - 10:10 AM.

• Smiling Jack likes this

#47 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 459 posts
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:40 AM

Don't forget, if I recall there is no jack/tools either?

I think my plan after these tires wear out is to go with runflats, hopefully the technology will be there so it will not take a mileage hit or I can getb them at one of the places that lest you have a 30 day test drive.

• Smiling Jack likes this

#48 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 366 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationHouston, Texas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A w. sun roof

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:50 AM

-Finally, my long-term mechanic (who I had fix the flat) said I still have to bring the car back to have all that latex cleaned out of my tire--here's the kicker--because it corrodes the wheel itself, given enough time.

Wow!

Can anyone confirm that?

#49 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:43 AM

Don't forget you can also use a plug kit to seal the hole without filling the tire with goop.  I have both the kit and an extra can of goop in the car.

#50 OFFLINE   P=E/t

P=E/t

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:10 AM

Don't forget, if I recall there is no jack/tools either?

I think my plan after these tires wear out is to go with runflats, hopefully the technology will be there so it will not take a mileage hit or I can getb them at one of the places that lest you have a 30 day test drive.

Yes, this is vitally important! Imagine the feeling (I believe it's called "chagrin") of standing there next to your Energi, flat tire on the car, intact spare under your hand, and realizing--no jack! Ugh.

I have one; just wondering how much space will be left for luggage after putting the spare and jack in the car. It is a contingency for "long trips" after all.

And speaking of storage space--does anyone else share my quirk of driving around most of the time with the back seats folded away? I kinda like the open space back there...

#51 OFFLINE   P=E/t

P=E/t

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:12 AM

Don't forget you can also use a plug kit to seal the hole without filling the tire with goop.  I have both the kit and an extra can of goop in the car.

Yes, you had mentioned that earlier in this thread. Two questions:

-Is there a preferred brand/product?

-Does a plug kit create a repair that can be considered permanent? Or does something further have to be done when you get back home?

Edited by P=E/t, 09 May 2015 - 10:13 AM.

#52 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 09 May 2015 - 01:39 PM

Yes, you had mentioned that earlier in this thread. Two questions:

-Is there a preferred brand/product?

-Does a plug kit create a repair that can be considered permanent? Or does something further have to be done when you get back home?

I just bought the best kit I saw with a big handled inserter at WalMart.  I think these are considered temporary, although in reality they may last a long time.  I would have a inside patch put on at the first opportunity.

I always leave my back seats down unless we have a passenger then we let them sit in them.

#53 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:06 AM

I have used the rope tire plug kits for about 20 years now. Never had a problem with them needing

further repair. They last the life of the tires and I use them on my motorcycles as well.

Tire slime isn't worth the use. It kills the TPMS sensor and will only plug a very small puncture.

The TPMS sensors aren't that cheap and would be an expensive total tire repair for such a short

term use. Tire slim might get you to a shop to repair the tire or it might leave you stranded with a

damaged tire and a dead TPMS sensor. Either way, you need to remove the tire to have it repaired.

They'll charge you to repair (if not damaged) the tire and a new sensor plus the cost to register the

sensor to the cars TPMS system. Why in the world would anyone use that crap. A rope plug kit

will coast about 15 bucks. The car has an air compressor in it. The rope plug with repair the tire

and no further action is required, unless the tire has a large hole and will probably be unrepairable

anyways. The sealant will not be a permanent repair and will cost you more to correct the damage

it causes. A rope kit will permanently repair a 1/4 inch hole whereas the sealant will only plug a small

nail hole that will require even more repairs and costs. 

It's a bogus system designed to cost you a lot of money for such a useless product :victory:

#54 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:35 AM

I have used the rope tire plug kits for about 20 years now. Never had a problem with them needing

further repair. They last the life of the tires and I use them on my motorcycles as well.

Tire slime isn't worth the use. It kills the TPMS sensor and will only plug a very small puncture.

The TPMS sensors aren't that cheap and would be an expensive total tire repair for such a short

term use. Tire slim might get you to a shop to repair the tire or it might leave you stranded with a

damaged tire and a dead TPMS sensor. Either way, you need to remove the tire to have it repaired.

They'll charge you to repair (if not damaged) the tire and a new sensor plus the cost to register the

sensor to the cars TPMS system. Why in the world would anyone use that crap. A rope plug kit

will coast about 15 bucks. The car has an air compressor in it. The rope plug with repair the tire

and no further action is required, unless the tire has a large hole and will probably be unrepairable

anyways. The sealant will not be a permanent repair and will cost you more to correct the damage

it causes. A rope kit will permanently repair a 1/4 inch hole whereas the sealant will only plug a small

nail hole that will require even more repairs and costs. 

It's a bogus system designed to cost you a lot of money for such a useless product :victory:

"the cars has an air compressor in it"? I must have missed that?

#55 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:38 AM

"the cars has an air compressor in it"? I must have missed that?

Look under the front passenger seat!

And if Dr D says the rope system is permanent it's good to know!

Edited by ArizonaEnergi, 11 May 2015 - 07:58 AM.

#56 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:50 AM

Look under the passenger seat!

And if Dr D says the rope system is permanent it's good to know!

AHHH, I never go back there. Maybe I'll invest in a plug as well.

#57 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,034 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:58 AM

In my trunk I have the rope plug, the tools to install it (needle and rasp to make the hole bigger) and the old tool kit from my Mercedes with plyers, screw drivers, etc, to pull the nail or foreign object out.  Also a tube of goop to put on the rubber plug to make sure it seals well and gets glued in there so it can't pop out. (may not be necessary but I always do it with this, its like adding rubber cement to it).

So unless you get a blowout, it should be an easy fix.  If you are faced with this, I would drive the car to a gas station with an air pump in it rather than having to take the pump out of the car (only do that in an emergency where I need to).  

Park the car so the foreign object is easy to get at (no tire removal here), and pull the nail out, use the rasping tool to make the hole bigger in the tire for the rubber plug to fit in.  While the rasping tool is plugging the hole, fill the air back into the tire so there is pressure against  the needle when you are inserting the rubber (so the tire won't want to bend inwards), coat the rubber plug with goop, remove the rasping tool and insert the needle straight in and and back out leaving about an inch of the plug exposed which you can trim off with a razor or scissors and then fill the tire back up to normal operating pressure and you're done.

Usually with an embedded foreign object its a slow leak so you have time to drive somewhere and correct the issue.  The TPSM low tire pressure will trigger around 26psi before the tire is completely flat.  Doesn't tell you which tire it is in the Cmax but a quick walk around will allow you to spot the tire that is lower than the others.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 11 May 2015 - 08:04 AM.

#58 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:06 AM

Oh boy, it never occurred to me to keep some pliers etc. in the car to pull out nails!  Thanks!

#59 OFFLINE   lucille

lucille

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:33 PM

I agree that the compact spare should only be driven on the rear, HOWEVER if a front tire is flat and the car is located in a dangerous location, or in inclement weather, I would not hesitate to put the spare on the front and drive a few miles to a safe place to complete the job by moving it to the rear.

QUESTION.....Has anyone actually put a 16" Taurus compact spare (T135/70D16) on the front to check brake caliper clearance?

I put mine on the rear just to check fit and clearance, which is fine, but didn't do the test on the front. Didn't think of circumstances which might make it prudent to place it on the front for a short distance until after I had stowed everything away.

Thanks!

#60 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 30 December 2015 - 07:21 AM

I've dealt with this issue with our Sienna which came with run flats and I have non-run flat snow tires.  However, I'm about positive I remember seeing a jack in there still.  There's no jack in the Cmax?

The Sienna doesn't come with a compressor either so I just added a plug kit and compressor/jump starter to the trunk and feel pretty confident.  But if there's no jack in the Cmax, that would make plugging the tire considerably more...  "fun".

Personally, I'm pretty confident with the plugs.  In my experience of using tires until they were well and truly dead quite a few times over the last couple decades+, I've seen a few times where the compressor and/or fix-a-flat didn't hold up for more than a couple minutes(and that was before having to worry about TPMS).  But almost every reasonable repair that I did, or had professionally done was just a tire plug and I don't recall any issues after the fact.

Now, if I'm driving around on unreasonable terms...  Like a few times where the tire tread was getting below minimum in spots and then there was either a flat spot or bulge in the tire...  Yeah, I'm not planning on a plug taking care of a six inch spot of threads showing through that starts leaking(though usually even those were slow enough to make the 20 minute commute home).  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·