Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Spare Tire

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationRedding, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, Mini Cooper S ALL4

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

I just bought a compact temporary spare wheel/tire, size T135/70-15.  It is from a mid-2000's Ford Taurus and has never been used.  It has the correct 108 mm (4.25") 5-bolt circle and hub size is correct (to check bolt circle, two adjacent bolt holes should be 2.5" apart for a 4.25" bolt circle).  It fits the rear wheel positions with clearance for the brake system.  It might fit the front also, but I did not check as I will never use it on the front.  In case of a front flat I will move a rear wheel to the front and put the spare on the rear. Cost from my local 'Pick and Pull' was $18, but it took about an hour of checking out about 100 late-model Fords to find an unused spare.  There were many cars with a preferable 16" diameter temp spare but the condition of the rubber was suspect.  When mounted on a rear position the car lists slightly due to the smaller diameter of the spare (23" vs 25.9" normal). 

For a jack I will carry the jack that came with our 2012 Mini Countryman, which fits the Ford body-seam jack point. One could pick up a Ford jack at the recycle yard easily if you need one.  For the lugs I will include with the kit an inexpensive long ratcheting 1/2" drive socket wrench and a 19mm socket. 

We will carry this kit on our longer trips into more remote areas of the west.  The spare takes relatively little room in the boot and doesn't weigh much.  These temporary spares are only rated for 50 mph max speed, and extreme caution should be used when driving with one of these on.    The car's electronics will nag you the whole time as the traction/stability control system will probably be disabled. Drive directly to the nearest tire shop to repair or replace the normal tire.

CMe Spare 030
CMe Spare 027

Edited by dr61, 15 June 2013 - 09:37 AM.

• Deermouse and altabrig like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   JWJ

JWJ

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

Harbor Freight has a scissor jack for $19 that works.  It will fit in the space under the passenger seat (insert from the front) and does not interfere with seat movement.

They also have a folding lug wrench for $10 that I put in the space in the back under the removable cover by the 12V battery.

Also a small fire extinguisher will fit under the driver seat (from the front) in the same way for those who want to be prepared for emergencies.

JJ

• dr61 likes this

#23 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:43 AM

I just bought a compact temporary spare wheel/tire, size T135/70-15.  It is from a mid-2000's Ford Taurus and has never been used.  It has the correct 108 mm (4.25") 5-bolt circle and hub size is correct (to check bolt circle, two adjacent bolt holes should be 2.5" apart for a 4.25" bolt circle).  It fits the rear wheel positions with clearance for the brake system.  It might fit the front also, but I did not check as I will never use it on the front.  In case of a front flat I will move a rear wheel to the front and put the spare on the rear. Cost from my local 'Pick and Pull' was $18, but it took about an hour of checking out about 100 late-model Fords to find an unused spare.  There were many cars with a preferable 16" diameter temp spare but the condition of the rubber was suspect.  When mounted on a rear position the car lists slightly due to the smaller diameter of the spare (23" vs 25.9" normal). 

For a jack I will carry the jack that came with our 2012 Mini Countryman, which fits the Ford body-seam jack point. One could pick up a Ford jack at the recycle yard easily if you need one.  For the lugs I will include with the kit an inexpensive long ratcheting 1/2" drive socket wrench and a 19mm socket. 

We will carry this kit on our longer trips into more remote areas of the west.  The spare takes relatively little room in the boot and doesn't weigh much.  These temporary spares are only rated for 50 mph max speed, and extreme caution should be used when driving with one of these on.    The car's electronics will nag you the whole time as the traction/stability control system will probably be disabled. Drive directly to the nearest tire shop to repair or replace the normal tire.

I am tempted to go this route due to the weight and space used by a full size.  A full size would even be a beast in the hitch mounted cargo box.

#24 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:25 AM

Here is a shot of the full size option on a Fusion.  Looks like about $170 at Americas and $200 at tirerarck.  It would probably eat up too much space for a viable solution inside the vehicle on a daily basis and severely impact cargo on a trip.

http://fordfusionhyb...ge-7#entry58887

#25 OFFLINE   smangerer

smangerer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C max energi

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

Does anyone have experiance using the fix a flat can that came with the car? I always assumed that you needed a new tire after using that stuff but I have never had to use one. Can you get a tire patched after using this stuff?

#26 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:20 AM

Does anyone have experiance using the fix a flat can that came with the car? I always assumed that you needed a new tire after using that stuff but I have never had to use one. Can you get a tire patched after using this stuff?

I don't think the plug compound will affect the ability to repair the tire, other than perhaps a bit more labor to clean it out.  That is assuming it successfully holds air in the tire so the tire doesn't overheat.  On the other hand, it may render inoperable the tire pressure monitor on that wheel.

Some compounds on the market (Slime) claim they are compatible with TPMS.

#27 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

Anyone tried mounting a temporary compact or full size spare on a hitch mounted cargo basket via a bracket?   Anyone just strapping a spare in a hitch basket?

• Smiling Jack likes this

#28 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:'09 FEHL, '13 C-Max Energi 302A

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

I don't think the solution of getting a donut spare for a spare tire for the energy is what I'd do. Purchasing a new OEM tire would be a better investment IMO. Having it available would allow a choice of replacing the damaged tire, or getting it replaced and using the new tire to match another new tire would be a better idea to have a match. You then will have the other good tire as a spare. This way, you keep the tire pressure monitoring system on all the rims in place and keep cost in an investment status. 

Gary

#29 OFFLINE   mymontreal

mymontreal

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSan Jose
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford CMax Energi

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

Just curious if anybody has considered installing run-flats on their CMax Energi ?

Do you think it's a feasible option, would the TPMS cause any problems ?

#30 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:34 PM

I have one car (Mini) without a spare and with run-flats.  I still bought a temporary spare for it which I carry on long trips through country without many tire shops.  TPMS is not a concern.

Advantages:

Can drive with a flat for 50+ miles safely at lower speed.  This avoids having to change a tire in a dangerous location, or wait for a tow truck.

Avoids the weight, space, and expense of a spare and tools.

Disadvantages:

Ride is not as good as a standard tire, and perhaps traction is degraded on rough roads because the tire construction is stiffer.

If you actually drive on the tire with no pressure, you most likely will have to replace it.  Many shops will not patch a run-flat tire.

The run-flat tire will be significantly more expensive and may not last as long as a similar quality standard tire.

#31 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • Current Vehicle:'09 FEHL, '13 C-Max Energi 302A

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

A heavier tire will drastically reduce MPG and EV distance. The Michelin Energy tires are Low Resistant tires and light weight. 

Gary

#32 OFFLINE   AaronsLennon

AaronsLennon

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSpokane WA
  • Current Vehicle:Ford CMax Energi 2013

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:34 PM

Even if I had a flat I would never fix it myself. I always call roadside assistance.THANK YOU for not making me look like an idiot to my cavemen friends and family who insist they can change their own tire :)  Now I have a great reason to avoid changing the tire.

#33 OFFLINE   Tdefny

Tdefny

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C-Max Energi, '02 Prius, '00 Town & Country

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:34 AM

I like the idea of a spare when heading out to the Sticks.You can always find someone to change a tire for you, even in the middle of nowhere, but it is another thing to need a tow from nowhere because you have no spare. It is also very unlikely that a yokel tire shop will have the LRR Michelins in stock.

I always use the air pump to get to a tire shop and only had one unfillable flat on all of the cars I have owned. Most spare tires go unlooked at for years before they are needed. Even stil, I have had two blowouts on my Prius in the 12 years I have owned it, partially because that car is too heavy for the tires it has and tends to burn them out quickly. They fixed that in later versions.

#34 OFFLINE   jza80

jza80

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSouth OC, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 303A

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

Hello, this is my first post to this forum... I am considering a C-Max Energi but the lack of a spare tire is a potential deal killer for me.  I looked at the posts on this topic on the C-Max Hybrid forum, however it looks like the Hybrid models have somewhat more space behind the rear seat so I am not sure that the solutions discussed there will work for the Energi model.  I like the one where the person made a spare tire bag out of a old sleeping bag, and this is something I could see doing  - but only if there is enough space to lay the spare tire flat behind the rear seats when they are in the normal upright position.  Can anyone confirm if there is enough clearance to lay the spare tire flat back in the cargo area?  I don't care if it takes up 25% of the available space as long as it will fit.  If someone can confirm this, and preferably with a photo I would really appreciate it!  Thanks in advance!

Edited by jza80, 07 September 2013 - 04:25 PM.

#35 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

I prefer a rope plug kit as oppose to a spare tire. I've never had a flat that I couldn't fix with a plug.

#36 OFFLINE   jza80

jza80

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSouth OC, CA

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

I prefer a rope plug kit as oppose to a spare tire. I've never had a flat that I couldn't fix with a plug.

I have used this method before also with decent results.  But, this will not work with a sidewall cut and as my wife will be the primary driver I need some kind of backup plan if there is a catastrophic failure as she is driving through Los Angeles.  This kind of failure is very rare, but it happened to me for the first time about 1 year ago after many years of driving. If I had needed to rely on the glue kit or a plug I would have been stranded.  As a result, I can not consider any vehicle that does not have a spare tire solution of some kind - even if it is something that I add myself.  All it takes is one failure where you are stranded and your priorities can change very quickly.  So, my original question still stands: can a temp spare tire in some kind of bag lay flat between the rear seats and the closed hatch?  Thanks!

#37 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

I have used this method before also with decent results.  But, this will not work with a sidewall cut and as my wife will be the primary driver I need some kind of backup plan if there is a catastrophic failure as she is driving through Los Angeles.  This kind of failure is very rare, but it happened to me for the first time about 1 year ago after many years of driving. If I had needed to rely on the glue kit or a plug I would have been stranded.  As a result, I can not consider any vehicle that does not have a spare tire solution of some kind - even if it is something that I add myself.  All it takes is one failure where you are stranded and your priorities can change very quickly.  So, my original question still stands: can a temp spare tire in some kind of bag lay flat between the rear seats and the closed hatch?  Thanks!

Yes! Why not ? Never use a spare that's not the exact overall diameter of the original tire on the front of the car.

It will cause internal transmission damage due to improper drive ratios between the two wheels. 

If you have a flat on the front, take a tire from the rear and place it up front and place the spare on the rear.

Edited by drdiesel1, 07 September 2013 - 05:45 PM.

#38 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:58 PM

Of course a spare will fit in the boot sitting flat, no problem. We just completed a 2200 mile vacation to the northern Rockies with the spare in back. I tie it down with a ratchet strap.

I put a label on my spare to use only on the rear position.  My jack will lift the car with both wheels on one side off the ground, so switching the good rear to the front is relatively easy.

#39 OFFLINE   jza80

jza80

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSouth OC, CA

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:29 PM

Great, thanks that is what I needed to know.

#40 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

Can anyone confirm if there is enough clearance to lay the spare tire flat back in the cargo area?  I don't care if it takes up 25% of the available space as long as it will fit.  If someone can confirm this, and preferably with a photo I would really appreciate it!  Thanks in advance!

Here's a photo of my full-size wheel and tire.  It barely fits width-wise with the tailgate closed.  It is well below the rear seats, but there's not much usable space with it in there.  It won't fit vertically.  A donut spare will give you more room of course.

Spare Tire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·