Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Spare Tire

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Charles

Charles

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Current Vehicle:2005 Escape Hybrid AWD and C-MAX ENERGI

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

I found a way BMW is dealing with spare tire for cars that were sold with out spare.
They will sell you a Spare Tire Storage Bag that will strap into the trunk and securely hold
 the spare tire kit.
Maybe ford should offer something like this

There has been times when I need a spare and the can of fix a flat did not work.
 If ford had used a smaller muffler to the left side to make room for the spare in the middle maybe we would
 have our spare.
I know ford is trying to cut weight, but a donut tire is better then walking when the cellphone is not working.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   mightydog

mightydog

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

I agree it is frustrating not to have on in the car and stuck on the side of the road.  I have never had any luck with fix a flat

#3 OFFLINE   Tdefny

Tdefny

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C-Max Energi, '02 Prius, '00 Town & Country

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

Over the past 10 years I have used the pump almost exclusively without the goo and have almost always gotten home and to the tire shop without incident. Thatt is except for three times when I got blowouts. Two were my own fault because I had worn tires, the third time was a road hazard.

Even still, I thought I would get away without a spare just fine. I got my first flat on the C-Max before I got my first fill-up. Ironic, isn't it.

#4 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

I've gotten enough flats in the middle of nowhere that I sprung for a complete new OEM alloy wheel and tire.  It just fits in the back without seats folded; I tie it down with compression straps made for tying kayaks on top of cars.  Then I had to find a lug wrench and a jack that went short enough to fit under the car and tall enough to lift the wheel off the ground.

I'll probably drive around town without it though, since I almost never get flats in town and there is cell service and tow trucks nearby.

• jack likes this

#5 OFFLINE   jack

jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationOrlando
  • Current Vehicle:Toyota Prius

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

I've gotten enough flats in the middle of nowhere that I sprung for a complete new OEM alloy wheel and tire.  It just fits in the back without seats folded; I tie it down with compression straps made for tying kayaks on top of cars.  Then I had to find a lug wrench and a jack that went short enough to fit under the car and tall enough to lift the wheel off the ground.

I'll probably drive around town without it though, since I almost never get flats in town and there is cell service and tow trucks nearby.

Around town isn't the problem as you have stated.  It's those long trips that scare me.

#6 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

Got my first flat... Luckily it was in the parking lot of Sears. Can't believe they charge $18 for a flat repair when Discount/American Tire and Costco do it for free.

#7 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, Mini Cooper S ALL4

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

There are posts over in the C-Max Hybrid forum with spare tire solutions:

http://fordcmaxhybri...r-c-max-hybrid/

#8 OFFLINE   Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi 302A

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

There's always the option of replacing the tires with run flats like Mini Cooper does. They are expensive, but you won't be left standing on the side of the road...

#9 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

I like the run flat idea!

#10 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, Mini Cooper S ALL4

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

There are down sides to run-flat tires.  I have a 2012 Mini and previously owned a 2005.  The earlier run-flats were harsh riding; the later one's on our 2012 are much improved, but still are not as good riding as a conventional tire.  Run-flat tires are rated to be driven for about 50 miles at 50 mph without air, provided there is no sidewall damage.  After that 50-mile use they must be discarded, not patched, and they are more expensive than conventional tires.

On my Mini for trips to remote areas I put a space-saver spare (and jack) in the car anyway.  If I got a flat far from the nearest tire store I will mount the space-saver and hopefully have the run-flat patched.

#11 OFFLINE   Zyco

Zyco

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationSarasota Fl
  • Current Vehicle:Kia Soul

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:01 AM

I have a Kia Soul for my work/tow car for my business and it too comes without a spare and only a can of that foam inflate stuff and a compressor. Keeping my eyes out for a spare for it, dont think one would even fit in a Energi. Living in Florida I run thru tires in 2-3 years so I shouldnt have too many needs for one but still the thought of all these new cars coming without a spare really is disturbing.  At least the tires on the Energi arent some odd crazy overpriced size

#12 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

Anyone know the 5 lug bolt pattern and offset for our wheels for those of us that want a spare?

#13 OFFLINE   FUNFINDER

FUNFINDER

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX ENERGI

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

According to Tirerack.com, I found the following information about a spare wheel for the C-Max 17" steel wheel: 17x7.5, offset: 53mm, backspacing: 6.38", bolt pattern: 5-108, this for a 225/50-17 tire. Price for a black painted steel wheel was $94.00 (each). Someone who is smarter then me about wheels could verify this. 

• Melephant likes this

#14 OFFLINE   jeffegg2

jeffegg2

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 187 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Locationwestland, mi.
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

Steel wheels are way too heavy. Go for an aluminum mini spare.

#15 OFFLINE   JohnE-nrg

JohnE-nrg

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationNebraska
  • Current Vehicle:94 Cougar, soon to be C-Max

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

For a spare I would also look at getting a smaller wheel size and maintaining the overall diameter with an appropriately sized tire. this would help cut down on cost and weight I would think.

#16 OFFLINE   patch

patch

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationIllinois
  • Current Vehicle:c-max energi

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:04 AM

Agree that a donut is needed for the C-Max.  I was able to get the specs for a donut from a dealer, although Ford doesn't offer one for the C-Max.  Here is what they said:

"After doing some research, the best I can offer is that the wheel has a 5 x 108mm bolt circle, an offset of 45mm, and backspacing of 5.98". This is based on wheel information from Tire Rack's website. Based on this I was unable to find any other Ford applications with the same dimensions" 

It is at least a start.  Does anybody know of a tire from another Ford product or after market tire that has these specs?

#17 OFFLINE   Pumpman

Pumpman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSan diego ca
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax energi

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

I'm a new owner. I take it there is no spare in the C-Max. I'll check my owners manual on this. I live in an urban/suburban area so help is always not too far away. Is there a can of fix a flat in the car?

#18 OFFLINE   FUNFINDER

FUNFINDER

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX ENERGI

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

You are correct, there is NO spare in the CMax, There is a can of sealant and small air compressor under the front passenger seat. Information is in the owner's manual about how to use this. It would work for small pin hole type leaks, but no so much for larger punctures. That was the one item that was almost a deal killer for me. But I plan to pick up a spare tire and take that when we go on trips. Sometimes over the mountains,  there is no cell phone coverage. Would not want to be stuck there. 

#19 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Energi

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

Yes, check for mobility kit that is located in a compartment in the floor of the car.

I'm a new owner. I take it there is no spare in the C-Max. I'll check my owners manual on this. I live in an urban/suburban area so help is always not too far away. Is there a can of fix a flat in the car?

#20 OFFLINE   Csilla

Csilla

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMI
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:54 AM

According to Tirerack.com, I found the following information about a spare wheel for the C-Max 17" steel wheel: 17x7.5, offset: 53mm, backspacing: 6.38", bolt pattern: 5-108, this for a 225/50-17 tire. Price for a black painted steel wheel was $94.00 (each). Someone who is smarter then me about wheels could verify this. 

You've got it right -  wheel size & offset w/ tire size.  I recommend replacing w/ the origianal tire (same brand) as they are low rolling resistance tires for fuel economy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·