Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

HVB cooling

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,030 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:04 AM

Jon your car was not charged much at all in the past, 92k miles with only 27k miles EV says to me no charging.  You get EV miles from hybrid driving anyways and if you're good you can get even more EV miles than your current ratio.

If you keep up what you're doing your battery will lose capacity faster than usual.  You should consider being more thoughtful about the battery if you want it to last.

-=>Raja.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   RickOzone

RickOzone

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationToronto
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:16 PM

Can anyone explain the air path to cool the HVB.  It appears to me that the fan in the back blows air into the battery pack. The warm air probably comes out of the battery pack just above the fan inlet and is ducted out down through the floor to outside.  However, where does the fan get its air supply from, perhaps the side top vents?  If the fan gets it's supply from inside the car and blows outside, then where does the makeup air come from?  What if the inside cabin temperature is very hot, does it still take the air from the inside?  I seem to recall reading that it can take air from the outside but does it also exhaust outside.  Then what are the two top side vents for?

Can anyone shed some light on this?  I read all the posts but still can't figure it out.

#43 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 28 March 2018 - 05:11 AM

Can anyone explain the air path to cool the HVB.  It appears to me that the fan in the back blows air into the battery pack. The warm air probably comes out of the battery pack just above the fan inlet and is ducted out down through the floor to outside.  However, where does the fan get its air supply from, perhaps the side top vents?  If the fan gets it's supply from inside the car and blows outside, then where does the makeup air come from?  What if the inside cabin temperature is very hot, does it still take the air from the inside?  I seem to recall reading that it can take air from the outside but does it also exhaust outside.  Then what are the two top side vents for?

Can anyone shed some light on this?  I read all the posts but still can't figure it out.

There are two cooling fans in an C-Max Energi. The one above and to the right (as viewed from the rear of the car)  of the 12V battery is for cooling the electronics. The second fan is located on the left side to pull the air from the fan duct outlets at the rear of the HVB.

The air intake for the cooling fans are the two top vents behind the rear seats on the left and right sides.  To check this, when the fans are running, place a sheet of paper above a vent and the negative air pressure will pull the paper tight to the vent. The vent provide input to the lower front of the HVB and the air outlet is in the lower rear of the HVB. 

The HVB fan is rather interesting. I have monitored the inside air temperature, HVB air temperature, and fan speed with a ScanGauge to determine how the fans function. 

The Fan speed is variable speed. Minimum of 1500 RPMs To a maximum of 2725 RPMs. As the car speed in increased the fan speed increases. The minimum fan speed is also increased as the HVB gets hotter. The fans will not come on at all if the interior temperature is less that 8 degrees cooler that the HVB. The fan speed increases as the car speed increases. At 65MPH the fan reaches to maximum speed. In a cold climate I suspect that the fan will come on if the interior temperature is significantly warmer than the HVB but I am not able to accurately test this theory in my climate. 

So where does the fan exhaust heat go. I have found no evidence of the heat being exhausted to the outside. The best documentation I have found related to HVB airflow is in the document  http://elvsolutions....Guide Final.pdf

Hope this information helps,

Tom

• fotomoto and ptjones like this

#44 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:32 PM

So where does the fan exhaust heat go. I have found no evidence of the heat being exhausted to the outside. 

There is an outlet, I think it's above the right rear tire.

The BECM manages the condition of the high voltage battery to control its charging and discharging. The BECM also manages the cooling of the high voltage battery by controlling a fan attached to the high voltage battery pack cooling outlet duct.

#45 OFFLINE   MaxLB

MaxLB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSoCal
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max NRG

Posted 28 March 2018 - 05:29 PM

I've wondered about this for a long time because I often drive with the A/C in recirc mode, so if the battery cooling fan takes air from the cabin and exhausts it outside, and I'm in recirc, where does that air come from?  Beats me, I haven't figured it out.

#46 OFFLINE   RickOzone

RickOzone

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 28 March 2018 - 06:58 PM

Attached File  Rear view cooling.png   180.4KB   0 downloads

I marked up a sketch from the battery removal document.  Does this look right?  Thanks Tom for the info.  you indicated that this cooling fan on the right is for the electronics.  I didn't see a fan on the left. 

In an earlier post, James2 said "There is an intake vent under the rear passenger side seat for the charger, the air exits the rear passenger fender well....Edit. Both top vents are intakes.  Both vents below are exhaust. Verified this with"

I did not find the lower vents but I'll check again.

Attached Files

Edited by RickOzone, 30 March 2018 - 05:58 AM.

#47 OFFLINE   RickOzone

RickOzone

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:44 PM

I'm planning on putting a 100 W solar panel on the roof to run 100 cfm cooling fan(s) that exhaust out the rear windows when parked in the sun.  During driving in hot weather, I'll take the solar panel inside the vehicle and move the fan(s) to blow into the inlet duct behind the rear seats.  I'll run the air conditioner or open the windows to get the heat out of the cabin.

If I use one fan exhausting outside, will outside air come in through the built in ventilation?

Edited by RickOzone, 09 April 2018 - 06:48 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·