Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Best way to haul 800lbs

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Elisabeth Emerson Sonersen

Elisabeth Emerson Sonersen

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationIdaho
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C Max eEnergi

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:58 AM

I have a C Max Energi 2014. My parents live in Colorado and I live in Idaho. My parents have 100 pieces of bamboo flooring to give me. Estimated weight 800 lbs. I would like to bring it home in my car. Has anyone hauled that much weight for a distance? I have a 2 inch hitch I use for my bike rack, but no lights. I could buy a small cheap trailer and put the flooring on that rather than in the car but would have to figure out something with lights. Which would be better? Trailer or in car?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 293 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:17 AM

That's about five people, which should be no trouble at all.  Something like a full load of people and their luggage.  You may notice it, but it won't be crippling.

A trailer would be even more weight to drag up hills.

#3 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:02 AM

I believe the max payload for the C-Max is 825 pounds.  So unless you weigh about the same as a small dog, you should probably not carry all of those bamboo pieces.

#4 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:58 AM

My first thought is how exactly the weight will be distributed.  

I agree with stolenmoment that the weight inside the car isn't going to be worse than having 4 average Americans and perhaps some luggage.  But if you're going to end up with like 400lbs resting on an armrest because of the way the flooring will end up sitting then I'd be more concerned about that.

Trailer might be a bit preferable, but like you said, then you're going to need to get the wiring for your car for the lights and/or lighting on the trailer.  Let alone the extra strapping to make sure everything is secure on the trailer and possibly some sort of tarp, etc for weather protection.

So, to summarize, if it were me, as long as you can distribute the pieces inside the car so that the weight is in places where it won't be a problem, that's what I'd do.

#5 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:02 AM

Last year I loaded the car with a full size wood lathe and all its accessories for an 800 mile drive. I estimated that that the weight was >500 pounds.  Add another 200 pounds for me and the car was quite loaded down. Running about 48 PSI in the tires the care handled well and driving mostly around 68MPG cruse control on the interstate I still got over 42MPG driving all Hybrid and the car handled well. 

Even  after hauling my large load, I think I still would be nervous carrying an 825 pounds plus a driver. 

Tom

#6 OFFLINE   Elisabeth Emerson Sonersen

Elisabeth Emerson Sonersen

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationIdaho
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C Max eEnergi

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:11 AM

Thanks everyone for the input.

The weight estimate was really on the highest end. I don't know the exact weight of the flooring just yet but took the heaviest I found on-line (70 lbs) multiplied it by 9 then rounded way up. The flooring is not actually in cases so using case numbers I found. Low end weight for a case is 45 lbs with most being 55-60 lbs. So 60x9=540 lbs. Even 9x70=630 lbs. 

#7 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:13 AM

Even  after hauling my large load, I think I still would be nervous carrying an 825 pounds plus a driver. 

Tom

I think the max payload INCLUDES the driver.

#8 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:19 AM

I think the max payload INCLUDES the driver.

True enough, but that doesn't mean that the car can't handle it.  It's just not something Ford wanted to rate it for.  To my knowledge the car isn't rated for towing anything at all, yet it shouldn't be a problem.

I think my old Subaru might have had a gross payload rating of like 650lbs or something, and on more than one occasion I had probably more than a half ton in it.  On those times, the body sitting lower was noticeable.  But it wasn't a problem.

I know my Prius wasn't rated for towing anything, and it pulled a trailer just fine...  Though when I hauled my brother's trailer with a big full width ramp on the back it was quite noticeable. Even downhill it felt like the brakes were on at speeds above 45mph.  Pulling that with a snowblower up the hills around Syracuse/Cortland on I81 at like 70mph was the one and only time I actually got it to run out of battery and drop me to a top speed of like 55mph going uphill.  Also the only time I actually got the MPG down under 30.

#9 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:21 AM

Interesting that the CMAX Hybrid has the same 800 lbs useful load, but weighs 259 lbs less. :wink:  To me the obvious  problem of increasing weight or towing is the Trans and wheel bearings which have shown to be problematic.  Just something to think about. :headscratch: 

Paul  

#10 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:38 AM

If you fill up the C-Max with 1000 pounds, you will be stressing some mechanical components.  With that said however, a one time trip to move some bricks won't be catastrophic to the car.  But realize that maxing out the cargo rating on any vehicle should not be a regular practice.  Also, don't forget that handling will be effected, so watch your quick lane changes, fast stops, etc.

#11 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,221 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:13 AM

How far?  Mountain roads?

#12 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 12 July 2016 - 12:01 PM

CO to ID is got to be 500 miles and mountainous, he does have 2014 so hopefully the Trans is better. :smile2:

Paul

#13 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 456 posts
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:52 PM

Go north to wyoming 

#14 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,983 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:24 PM

I agree with Paul, there isn't a good reason to stress out the transmission of the car, cause it to overheat and maybe fail sooner.  I would load up the tiles inside the car and skip the towing business, but check the weight and don't over do it.  Worse case scenario make 2 trips, get half now and the other half later on another trip or for thanksgiving with the family gathering.  

-=>Raja.

• ptjones likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·