Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Corrupted trip info?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:12 AM

You would think "could be", as I have not applied 14M02 I think it was, the refresh that wipes out regen braking miles.

However, Tom has applied all the updates including that one and still has the same behavior as me.

Levi, what's the circumstances of those 1.3 or 1.5 mile trips?  Can you just go out to the parking lot and move the car from one space to another (for example move it to a shaded spot) within the whole lot (not talking 50 feet away) without spending any time in the car, remote starting it to cool down or whatever and have it record the trip?

-=>Raja.

I haven't been paying as close attention to the trip logs, so I can't say for sure what those trips were.  I don't see any more on my current list of trips in MFM.  But trips of less than 12 miles are less common for me in the first place.  I don't think a parking lot move would log, but certainly wouldn't say for sure...

After playing with the Ford IDS software I would put a lot less confidence in determining whether your car is "up to date" compared to anyone else's...  It's kind of a mess between Ford, software, cars, modules, dealers, etc...  

I'll try to elaborate a bit from a somewhat simple perspective with my car.

-My car was at the dealer for the GPS and Sync problems maybe a few months ago.  During that time they didn't do anything at all for those issues, but DID "update" my car to meet all of the existing TSB's.  So theoretically my car is "up to date" like Tom's that you've mentioned.

However, in the Ford IDS software, you can see the...  Dozens? of different modules in the car and each one has it's own programming and revisions.  I didn't play with the other modules, but I did update my GPS module to a new software revision which gives it a new part # as far as Ford is concerned.  

My point is that I'm not sure what TSB's are out, but I'd think they are only to update a particular module to a particular revision.  So those might have nothing to do with the Telematics ECU or whatever other modules that are related to trip logging and there might be several different software revisions that exist out there and only ever get updated if a dealer feels like doing it.(Obviously my dealer didn't even feel like doing to my GPS module after I brought the car in specifically for that issue).  

Basically, I don't get the impression that the dealer would ever go to a car and check and update every single module.

So who knows...

The other factor is that the 2016's presumably have a lot of new hardware with Sync3 and I believe 3G telematics...

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:12 AM

I'm not sure if it was on this forum or another, but there was another user that reported a similar experience with regard to it being a very involved process to review every module in the car for available updates and apply those updates.  I think the dealers are specifically directed to only install updates that specifically address deficiencies, and, as in your case, they don't always do that very well.
I think the other user reported describing what he wanted done to the service manager and was told that they could do it, but it would be done at shop labor rate for actual time and would not be covered under warranty.  I recall the estimate being $500+ to spend the time to do it.
This is one area where Tesla seems to have a better game plan for keeping cars up to date.

With regard to the Sync3 hardware, I believe the earliest cars (2016 C-Max Energi and 2016 Focus Electric) still have the 2G telematics module.  Maybe the 2017s are coming with 3G.
Although I don't know the extent, it is reported that Sync 3 does communicate over WiFi for some things, so there is a chance that you could re-purpose an old cell phone to stay in the car and provide a hotspot to the car so the car would always have WiFi to communicate over.

#23 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:00 PM

I make many short trip of 2 miles or less and as Raja mentioned I do not see short trips around 1.7 miles or less recorded. MFM shows about 6k fewer miles than the actual miles on the odometer. It is my guess that short trips and some cases longer trips not being recorded account for the difference.

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·