Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Corrupted trip info?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 320 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:50 AM

One of my trips yesterday wound up mis-reported.  The mileage and driving score were correct, but the brake score, the EV miles, and regen miles were reported as zero, with that causing (I suppose) the trip to be reported as 0% EV and the MPGe to be reported as 39...

Oddly enough, the battery image appears to be correct (it matches the image for the equivalent return trip), even though it says 0.0kWh next to it.

The trip itself was unremarkable, although I did plug into a new-to-me charger at the end of it; that charge is listed correctly.

Does this happen often?  I don't really care all that much, I'm to new at this to be anywhere in the rankings, so it's impossible to be competitive in that arena, but I find the information interesting.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,263 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:48 AM

The info is uploaded via 2g cell service so there's plenty of opportunities for it to get corrupted.  How often?  IDK as I don't watch my MFM rankings much anymore.  I also do a lot of <1.5mile drives that are never recorded.

Edited by fotomoto, 11 July 2016 - 10:52 AM.

• Smiling Jack likes this

#3 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:18 PM

I'd've ASSumed that they use TCP over whatever network substrate to provide at least basic corruption protection.

But then, I'm a network software guy, so I'm biased toward that sort of solution.

Thanks!

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:00 PM

If when you arrive you power the car back on for some reason, example, to roll the windows up that you forgot to do, then the trip is corrupted and/or lost.

The trick is, once you power off the car you have to wait at least 1 minute before you can power it back on, to allow it to send the trip report to MFM.  My wife asked me to roll down the window more once as we got to Home Depot and she was going to wait in the car, I said, "too late, I already powered off the car!!"  

Any trip at 1.7 miles or less is also not recorded by design, those are always discarded.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 11 July 2016 - 09:01 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:36 AM

Any trip at 1.7 miles or less is also not recorded by design, those are always discarded.

Why is that?

#6 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:23 AM

Thanks, Raja, that makes perfect sense.  I don't know that I did that, but I wouldn't be surprised if I did.

I suspect that the short trips are discarded to avoid cluttering up the log with tiny repositioning hops, those moves between the charger and parking space.

#7 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:01 AM

-=>Raja.

Even that number is a bit iffy.  I know at one point in time I saw a 1.5 mile trip listed.

#8 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:40 PM

i don't think so Levi, not 1.5 miles.  If you can get that to record, then do it and post it here for me to see, mine only records 1.7 or greater. I think 1.7 is iffy, 1.8 it will record for sure.

-=>Raja.

#9 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationEmmaus, PA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:14 AM

I've had this problem too, they end up as 0% EV in MFM. I do sometimes forget to roll up the windows before powering down the car and have to turn it on again, so that's probably what happened.

#10 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:46 AM

i don't think so Levi, not 1.5 miles.  If you can get that to record, then do it and post it here for me to see, mine only records 1.7 or greater. I think 1.7 is iffy, 1.8 it will record for sure.

-=>Raja.

It had been a while since I saw it and haven't really been paying attention, but yeah my trip log even shows a 1.3 mile entry:

Capture.jpg

#11 OFFLINE   Hackster

Hackster

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationGTA
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 2016

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:20 PM

My 2016 C-Max Energi happily reports short trips (0.1km) from my community mailbox to the house:

Attached File  short_trips.jpg   151.05KB   0 downloads

It's most of the other trips that it either fails to report correctly or MFM fails to capture. I now have almost 4K km on the odometer and less than 1.8K on "My driving" in MFM. There is no pattern, exactly the same trips get recorded one day, but not the next. I tried to get help/support over PM (on this forum) and e-mail from Ford, but they simply do not respond. You will also notice charging at "Unsaved location" which is actually my home. MFM seems to have trouble capturing co-ordinates in the "started charge"/"finished charging" messages from the car. The messages themselves always arrive - I see them in "Messages" area in MFM). The car also knows its location - value charge profile works fine, but the location of the car gets lost in MFM (either during transmission or subsequent processing/storage of the info.

I have now given up on MFM trip stats feature. 

#12 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:58 PM

Did they change something?  I can't get any of those trips, they are always discarded.  0.1km, that's as small as they get, something is certainly different though mine still doesn't do it, I moved the car today it should have logged 0.1km, it didn't.

That's why my personal ford mobile says 48641 miles driven, but the car's odometer just rolled past 50k to 50084.  Over the past 3 years I have "lost" many small trips under 1.7 miles besides that ones that got messed up from me powering on the car back up after getting somewhere to roll windows up (before I figured that one out).

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 13 July 2016 - 06:01 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:51 AM

I have two separate locations, Home and "the garage".  My garage abuts the property line at the back of our long narrow lot, and MFM thinks that the car's at the adjacent address on the next  street.

It's more amusing than anything else...

#14 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:10 PM

Something certainly changed.  I was in Natick Mall today and I drove my car from the parking garage to Best buy, it was 1.5 miles away the way I went and that trip did not record going there or coming back.

I also met up with Tom (from here) at the mall and over lunch we discussed this and his Cmax also does not record trips of less than 1.8 miles in MFM.

So not sure what changed but certainly the 2013 models only record MFM trips of 1.7 miles or greater as I said above, that is the case for me and Tom.

Verified it again today and just wanted to put it out there for you guys.

-=>Raja.

#15 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:07 AM

So not sure what changed but certainly the 2013 models only record MFM trips of 1.7 miles or greater as I said above, that is the case for me and Tom.

Verified it again today and just wanted to put it out there for you guys.

-=>Raja.

Sure, as long as you ignore data like the 1.3 and 1.5 mile trips reported by my 2013 above...

Just cause yours hasn't done it doesn't mean it's impossible for all...

#16 OFFLINE   ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

ShoulderThingThatGoesUP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationEmmaus, PA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:39 AM

This weekend I ran an errand, and it recorded only one side of the 2-mile-each-way trip...

#17 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:58 AM

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't list any guarantees.  Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.  Could be the software versions of different modules, or maybe secondary things like if you use remote start first or sit with the AC on before or after your drive, etc. then somehow the trip is long enough in minutes that it gets recorded even if the distance is shorter than the usual amount logged...

I would think that even if you didn't have 2G coverage when you finished a trip, then the next time you had coverage it would update MFM with the previous trips...

#18 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:43 AM

Certainly there is something going on that we haven't figured out Levi.  Like I said mine doesn't record short trips, so maybe my Maxie doesn't have the same software revisions.  All I'm saying is that I don't get the short trips, neither does Tom, so there is some difference between yours and ours.  

Mine has always been like this, and I just figured it was by design to keep out the short moving the car around nuisance trips as MFM only keeps track of the last 30.

-=>Raja.

#19 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:45 AM

Based on my experience, I don't think the car will save trips for later upload.  My experience is that it tries to send once, and even something as simple as powering the car back on will disrupt that transmission and cause you to lose that trip or worse yet, capture it with a 0 driving score :-| 

I think it's safe to say that the determination as to what / when to send to MFM is made by the software / modules in the car, so different model years, and even different s/w updates could easily affect whether short trips are reported or not.  It's entirely possible that Levi's car has had updates applied that Raja has purposefully avoided.

#20 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:51 AM

It's entirely possible that Levi's car has had updates applied that Raja has purposefully avoided.

You would think "could be", as I have not applied 14M02 I think it was, the refresh that wipes out regen braking miles.

However, Tom has applied all the updates including that one and still has the same behavior as me.

Levi, what's the circumstances of those 1.3 or 1.5 mile trips?  Can you just go out to the parking lot and move the car from one space to another (for example move it to a shaded spot) within the whole lot (not talking 50 feet away) without spending any time in the car, remote starting it to cool down or whatever and have it record the trip?

Edit:

I just looked at my friend Ansy's MFM log, the shortest trip recorded there is 1.7 miles.  He does alot of little trips and errands in Natick and I'm pretty confident it doesn't record any shorter than 1.7 miles as I've seen with mine.  The common factor is that myself, Tom and Ansy's car are all built around the same time, mine is June 2013, Ansy's is May 2013, and Tom I'm not 100% sure but he got his in June of 2013.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 27 July 2016 - 06:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·