Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

What fuel do you use?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:21 AM

Costco, at least in the NW, has evolved in the last 5-10 years with regards to their gas.  The used to sell gas with no extra additives beyond the minimum required.  If you asked them about top-tier, they would suggest buying a bottle of Techron additive in the warehouse and adding it to your tank.  At the time they claimed it was more cost effective that way.  Since then, they have installed pumping systems that allow them to add the additive to the gas at each location, so they still buy the "generic" gas, but bring it up to top-tier standards before it goes into you tank.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Firemom233

Firemom233

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 12 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationAlpharetta Georgia
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Energi/ 2012 Chevy Volt

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:46 AM

You can always download the Pure Gas app so you will have a way to see which stations around you are selling it. I have never used it, but thought about trying it once until I saw the price. Some Chevy Volt owners swear by it.

Pure Gas by AutoLean, Inc.
https://appsto.re/us/CvagB.i

Gina
  • ptjones likes this

#23 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:37 AM

I only use Pure Gas when I'am planning on breaking my tank fuel mileage record(922mi./68.3mpg/13.5gal.), it's just too expensive otherwise. :(

Paul 

Edited by ptjones, 06 September 2016 - 06:39 AM.

#24 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 30 December 2018 - 09:19 AM

I tried a test comparison between E87 vs 91E0 in my 2016 F150 EB 2.7L 4X4 going to AZ.  It would appear that I got 1.6 mpg better mpg and the difference between Smart Gauge and Fuelly was .6 mpg. EPA/FORD use 87E0 to do their testing which would explain some of the difference between Smart Gauge and Actual MPG's. BTW 91E0 was $2.40 per gallon in OK, First time I used Premium in my truck which has 36/gallon tank. http://www.fuelly.co...ptjones/429143  Life Time average of 23.5 mpg and 26 mpg twice, almost 900 miles on a tank.  This is similar to what I have seen in my CMAX.

Paul

#25 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,337 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 30 December 2018 - 09:28 AM

So you paid 40 cents a gallon more and got 0.6mpg or 1.6mpg more in range?

36 gallon tank x 40 cents more at least  -- I was in the south last week and super is $2.45 the cheapest I saw anywhere and we filled up several places in 3 weeks time as my buddy was driving a Ford Lightning and he needed to refuel every 300 miles super only for him -- and for me regular is $1.99 to 1.85 the cheapest,. so for you = $14.40 to 19.80 more on the fillup from the prices I saw...

Then you went 36 gallon say x 1.6 miles more (max you said) or 57 miles more range.

On regular gas you can drive 52 miles in $4.40 (4.40/1.99 per gallon) x 23.5mpg so you practically lost $10 minimum to $15 max per fillup in this case to use 91 vs 87.

I don't know why people insist on using Super.  Sure you an go further but it also costs more.  Only use Super when your car won't work properly, i.e. knocks, like my buddy's Ford truck, he can't put regular it only works on super.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 30 December 2018 - 09:32 AM.

#26 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 30 December 2018 - 01:19 PM

You missed my point Raja, I wanted to know how much of a difference there was between Smart Gauge and actual MPG's using 0E gas. So there is a difference in measuring 0E vs E86 of about around 1 mpg with my truck and CMAX.  People wonder why the Smart Gauge is off so much. You have to do the experiment to be able to come up with an answer. Nothing ventured, Nothing gained. BTW I only put in 29 gal. :smile2: I got E86 at Sam's in Amarillo, TX for $1.72 and did see gas for $1.65 in OK. 

Paul 

#27 OFFLINE   Billyk24

Billyk24

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationButler, Pa.
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Titanium, 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid 4wd

Posted 30 December 2018 - 01:31 PM

If E0 has such great shelf life, then why are there so many stabilizer products on the market for E0?   I have read of a 2-3 week shelf life before evaporation issues of light material and contamination dooms E0. 

#28 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 30 December 2018 - 02:55 PM

Actually it's E10 that has a short shelf life, 2 to 3 weeks. Link: http://www.fuel-test...thanol_gas.html

Paul

#29 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,337 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 30 December 2018 - 03:18 PM

Maybe they say short life but in reality you can still burn gas that is piss yellow 6 months old and it runs just the same.

-=>Raja.

#30 OFFLINE   nikorasu

nikorasu

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMadison WI
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 30 December 2018 - 04:44 PM

My car had it's last fill back on May 27, 2018 with E15 and I am still using said tank of gas. The manual states E15 is acceptable and so that is what I put in it, saves me $0.05/gallon over E10. Currently at 3,650 miles on this tank. Going on a road trip soon with it so it will get some fresh fuel and I suspect I will go through a tank over the winter. Last year the dealership fill went from late November until late March.

r0o6jn.png

• ptjones likes this

#31 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,337 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 30 December 2018 - 08:08 PM

Agreed.  And my original 2013 Cmax went to Czech Republic and sat for months.  After 1 year they finally started the engine and burned off the 5/8 worth of fuel that I had left in there when I sold it to the insurance.  A year later it still worked fine.

-=>Raja.

#32 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:34 AM

Agreed.  And my original 2013 Cmax went to Czech Republic and sat for months.  After 1 year they finally started the engine and burned off the 5/8 worth of fuel that I had left in there when I sold it to the insurance.  A year later it still worked fine.

-=>Raja.

How do you know it worked fine? :headscratch:

Paul

#33 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,337 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:53 AM

Because they used it to go on a trip to some other dealer about 150 miles away, check the thread "my blue baby is gone".

They had not started the engine for a year before that.   It was very very short trips only on EV power.  Gas tank level was the same the whole time until they fired it up.

-=>Raja.

#34 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 31 December 2018 - 11:02 AM

I looked at your thread and it didn't say anything about gas mileage which would give us an indication of lost mpg's from old gas.

Paul

#35 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,337 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 31 December 2018 - 01:04 PM

I do / did have gas mileage but you cant account for that because they drive the car terrible, too hard acceleration, brake score is always low and speed is high.  The way they drive it is not the same they can make the best gas look bad ...  :wink:

-=>Raja.

• ptjones likes this

#36 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 31 December 2018 - 01:18 PM

I do / did have gas mileage but you cant account for that because they drive the car terrible, too hard acceleration, brake score is always low and speed is high.  The way they drive it is not the same they can make the best gas look bad ...  :wink:

-=>Raja.

OH Well, LOL we tried. :smile2:  Found this that E10 looses 3-4 point with time which hurts performance.  https://www.bellperf...ms-of-stale-gas

Paul

#37 OFFLINE   Billyk24

Billyk24

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationButler, Pa.

Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:03 PM

Actually it's E10 that has a short shelf life, 2 to 3 weeks. Link: http://www.fuel-test...thanol_gas.html

Paul

Laughable article.   A number of errors as reflected by "guys" that actually work in the ethanol business and production.   Adding water to E0 produces  immediate phase separation.  Personal use of E85 that sits in a red jerry can for six weeks without issue.

#38 OFFLINE   plus 3 golfer

plus 3 golfer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 31 December 2018 - 06:35 PM

NREL tests on ethanol in gas indicates that pure gas would phase separate before any ethanol blended gas for given volumes of water because ethanol gas mixture will "absorb" more water than gasoline alone per unit volume. Thus, based on water absorption, the shelf life of ethanol blended gas would be greater than pure gas.

"1. Ethanol blends can hold more water without phase separation than hydrocarbon, and more ethanol improves their resistance to phase separation. This is an advantage that can help keep fuel systems “dry” by moving low levels of water out of the system.

2. In a small engine fuel tank in a constantly high-temperature, high-humidity environment, it takes three months or longer for E10 and other ethanol blends to take up enough water for phase separation. This confirms the statement by Mercury Marine that water uptake in E10 blends “…does not happen at a level or rate that is relevant.”2

1 In January 2011 USEPA announced approval of the use of E15 in 2001 and newer automobiles only.
2 BoatUS Magazine. “Three Ethanol Myths Clarified.” http://www.boatus.co...ber/ethanol.asp

3. Significant gasoline weathering (evaporation of the most volatile components) can occur over one month of storage in a high-temperature, high-humidity environment, with total mass losses as high as 30-70% for certain tanks. This means gasoline weathering, which can have a negative effect on fuel quality, generally occurs well in advance of any issues related to phase separation. The fuel vapor pressure may drop to levels where the fuel is not fit for purpose (engine will be difficult or impossible to start) and there may also be gum formation."

Attached File  phase separation.JPG   35.26KB   0 downloads

Attached Files

Edited by plus 3 golfer, 01 January 2019 - 04:43 AM.

#39 OFFLINE   Billyk24

Billyk24

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationButler, Pa.

Posted 01 January 2019 - 04:35 PM

When one quotes a reference from a manufacture that is selling something, then the reference is not valid or independent.    Laughable is a rough saying for this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·