Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Locking car with AC left on for extended time

ac

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   berechah

berechah

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationBend, OR
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2006 Prius

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:38 PM

I would really like to buy a C-Max Energi, but I am having trouble getting an answer to a concern that is very important to me. Can you lock up the car with the air conditioning running for extended periods of time?

To explain what I mean... I have a 2006 Prius. When we are hiking in national parks that do not allow pets on trails or staying at dog unfriendly hotels, I use the AC in the Prius to keep our beloved dog comfortable.  Please do not get upset -- we love our dog which is why we take her with us and we want to keep her healthy, safe, and comfortable at all times.

With the Prius here is what I can do: I put up window shades in the front and the car already has dark heat and light-reducing tint. Our dog who has frequent walks and plenty of food and water happily climbs into her carrier which I leave on the front seat where she can stay comfortable (with zero chance of bumping the car into drive as she is contained). I leave the car in ready mode with the blower on low and the temperature at a moderate 74 degrees or so. I take the keys with me and reach in from the back seat to hit the driver's door switch to lock all the doors. The electric AC will run on the hybrid battery until it is depleted, then cycle on the engine intermittently to recharge the battery as needed to keep the AC working. At 109 degrees out, our dog has been cool and comfortable while we go for a sweltering hike (Angel's Landing and Observation Point in Zion last week). Obviously I would never do this if the car is low on fuel, but it can run for a very long time using a very small amount of gas.

Can you do this with the Ford C-Max Energi? Do you have to trick the car at all to make it work or is it more straight-forward (I have to reach in from the back as the Prius will not normally let you lock the driver's door with the key out of the car)?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   berechah

berechah

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationBend, OR
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2006 Prius

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:45 PM

Additionally for interest sake, I pull a small lightweight cargo trailer with the Prius when camping. It has a 60" x 41" x 24" (34 cu ft) box and holds all of our gear. It is somewhat fun to pass people at 70 MPH with a Prius pulling a trailer ;-) I have hauled it for thousands of miles with no problems except for a mileage penalty. I plan to do the same with the C-Max of course...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·