Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

A lack of advertising?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   NedB

NedB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationSyracuse NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax, 2005 FEH & 2007 Prius

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:26 PM

This is a bit of preaching to the choir... We're all aware of the CMax & it's features etc. perhaps it is just me, however I can't say that I can ever recall seeing one advertised. I learned of it via owning my FEH, looking for a younger version of that & of course Ford didn't continue the Hybrid version after the latest refresh.
How did you find out about your CMax?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,280 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:37 PM

I agree they are not well advertise and kind of "the best kept secret".  Not sure why Ford doesn't push this car more aggressively.  Many people don't even know what it is.  

-=>Raja.

#3 OFFLINE   bschwerdt

bschwerdt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 CMax Energi, 302A / 2017 Chevrolet Bolt Premier

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:44 AM

I have been following EVs since the early days of the Volt (unveiled at NAIAS in 2007) and Tesla Motors.  So I knew about the CMax since about 2012.  But I agree, Ford does not seem interested in advertising the car.  It's a shame, too.  The Energi cars are among the best vehicles in Ford's lineup!

#4 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:41 AM

I was looking for a car that would seat 5 and I have a history of buying Fords. I heard my daughter mention the C-Max and saw nothing else prior researching the C-Max hybrid. At the time the cars were in short supply and the first dealer was not able to locate a hybrid with the right color and options. I then suggested they give me a quote on the Energi and believe it or not they dealer did not even respond to that request. I then located the car configured to my satisfaction at another dealer and they did not respond to my emails about the car they had on the lot. I went to the dealer, grabbed the first salesman I saw and we had the deal done and I was driving home about an hour later.

So not only are they not advertising the C-Max Energi very often(I have seen a few adds on TV but almost never in any local published adds.) they don't seem overly interested in selling them unless the customer insists on purchasing one.

Tom

#5 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,276 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:52 AM

I follow several hybrid/EV forums and this a common complaint on all of them except, ATM, Toyota who has been pushing the new Gen4 Prius quite heavily on the national level starting with high dollar slots before, during, and after the superbowl broadcast. 

There are three levels of automotive television advertising:

1) national

2) regional

3) local

We typically notice/see (or not) the national level campaigns like the Prius example above.   Next is the regional or state level which is very popular here in Texas with Chevy/Ford dealers who group their funding together and team with the manufacturers for specialized campaigns (usually trucks).  Finally there are local TV ads with the typical "no money, no payments forever, blah, blah, blah" we all dread.   Here in truck country, I only see the occasional national level hybrid/ev ad.  CMax was advertised quite heavily back in 2012 (remember "The Hybrid Games"?) when they tried to compare it against the Prius.   I saw some Ford Focus BEV ads a few months ago.

Finally, just because you haven't seen an ad doesn't mean they aren't advertising.  It just means they aren't (rightly or wrongly) targeting you.

Edited by fotomoto, 30 June 2016 - 05:52 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 481 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:16 PM

I think the basic answer is profit, the CMAX due to its complexity probably costs more to build than a any other Ford in the same price range, they probably make more off of a loaded Focus than a CMAX and the Focus guy might come back for a few oil changes.

That and low fuel costs  and the current CAFE requirements, or maybe that Chevy and Toyota and throw some rocks at the Cmax so if Ford started to advertise more then Chevy could tout their features over Ford like  they do with the pickups, or the 4G hotspot in their cars.

Edited by komondor, 27 December 2016 - 04:58 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   GlennR

GlennR

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationBrampton
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 2016

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:09 PM

EV-advertising-2015.jpg

#8 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,276 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:21 PM

Hmmm.  The i3 is on track to sell about 7,000 for the year so that's over $3,100 spent  :spend: for each car sold.     OUCH!    Ford spent $62 for each Fusion Energi  ($1mil/16,000)

Here's the link to the above graph :reading: : http://www.sierraclu...e-electric-cars

#9 OFFLINE   SloMax17

SloMax17

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Luis Obispo CA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Energi SE

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:48 PM

New owner here... and if it wasn't for a C-Max commercial I saw back in January during one of the football playoff games I think, I probably wouldn't be here right now!  I'm sure that commercial was only for the California market since it showed how you could cruise the coast from LA to SF on less than a tank of gas and spin around the cities in EV mode.  Good ad, but haven't seen one since.  But that's what got me thinking about going green with my next car.  I had no clue this car was out there!   But then again, I hadn't been thinking much about a new car up until then.  Once I started looking at what was out there, the C-Max really stood out for me.  There was no way I could buy a Prius, that's for sure.  I live in the Land of Prius.  So instead... I got one of the coolest and rarest cars around!  All thanks to one tv commercial and a lazy Sunday afternoon on the couch!  :)

Perhaps they don't advertise them much because they can't ramp up the volume for some reason, like plant capacity, supply chain, etc.

#10 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationIllinois
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:04 PM

I didn't know anything about the C-Max, until a co-worker told me about her Dad's hybrid. I had been looking at Chevy Volts until then. The C-Max won out due to the seating. Never saw any ads for it as I block all internet ads and we only watch internet stuff like Netflix and Amazon, and only TV we can get over antenna is PBS.

#11 OFFLINE   Matt Bonnett

Matt Bonnett

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:29 PM

My only introduction has been through trolling the hybrid section of CarMax's listings really. I was originally dead set on getting an '08-'12 Escape Hybrid but they have quickly dried up it seems and are very hard to find especially with options I'd like to have. I then went trolling the listings for anything hybrid and came across the Fusion hybrid and C-Max. Even the Fusion had quite a bit more promotional pep over the C-Max it seems. My brother actually made a comment the other day when talking about the C-Max was an episode of White Collar on TV where they were driving an early 2nd gen Fusion (fat 3 bar grill design) hybrid with the leaf-o-meter awkwardly written into the show's script. On a highly rated cable show of the time! So the Fusion wasn't horribly lacking in that part. I do recall during the time of the 2nd gen Fusion's having some advertising that caught my attention. Used to do some owners manual reading and forum lurking when I could only dream of being able to afford one and this was just being EV-curious at the time. The C-Max simply never registered until recently when I seriously started looking at getting a new car and comparing Ford's current hybrid lineup.

Though, to be frank, there seem to be some other mass manufacturered EV's on the market that I have not seen much promotion for either at least here in the Midwest. That may be wildly different than the Pacific Coast. Just reading through the comments on Plugshare (or maybe Chargepoint) at some specific locations I intend to use at some point and I have seen the eGolf show up as well as a non-i3 BMW EV (Forgot the model but upon additional searching it looks a lot like a normal 3 series). 

#12 OFFLINE   patbob

patbob

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationPNW
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:asdf

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:40 PM

Nope, the advertising (or lack thereof) is no different here, in the Pacific Northwest.  My wife said she saw a local ad for the Energi a month or so ago, but she only saw it once, and we haven't seen any ads since (although I think its in the car lineup at the end of one of the national ads now).

As for how we heard about it, I ran across the Energi while researching PHEVs for myself, but we didn't look at it until after a friend showed me theirs (they have two).  It fit most of what my wife needed and was looking for in a vehicle, and I persevered on the research enough to find out that its low reliability ratings were because of the infotainment system, and that the hybrid was eating transmissions (so we got the Energi).  Turns out the PHEV is perfect for my wife -- all of her driving is very short trips that fit nicely within the battery range.

#13 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationWV
  • Current Vehicle:FOrd

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:32 AM

The only thing I recall hearing about the C-Max was how their initial EPA ratings were wrong. I don't think I've ever seen an ad. I do like that I rarely run across another. Now, as soon as the prices of Cadillac ELR's come down a little more I could see me moving into something even more rare.

#14 OFFLINE   NedB

NedB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:09 AM

For the price that want for the ELR , might as well go for en early Tesla Model S!

#15 OFFLINE   ISU_Cyclone

ISU_Cyclone

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMilwaukee
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Ford Explorer

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:13 AM

I didn't know the Energi existed in either the Fusion or the C-Max until I pulled a Fusion Energi over for speeding and saw the MPG on the dash. My eyes almost popped out of my head, since I had an ecoboost Fusion at the time and was very unimpressed with my mileage. The guy I had stopped told me all about the Energi and got a verbal warning :)

#16 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:28 AM

For the price that want for the ELR , might as well go for en early Tesla Model S!

I've not seen prices anywhere close. You can get a low mileage ELR now in the 20's. I can't get a Tesla serviced anywhere near me either.

#17 OFFLINE   NedB

NedB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:03 AM

Didn't realize the ELRs had dropped so far, last I looked they were still north of $35K

Edited by NedB, 24 March 2017 - 08:03 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationIllinois
  • My C-MAX:2014

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:11 AM

I didn't know the Energi existed in either the Fusion or the C-Max until I pulled a Fusion Energi over for speeding and saw the MPG on the dash. My eyes almost popped out of my head, since I had an ecoboost Fusion at the time and was very unimpressed with my mileage. The guy I had stopped told me all about the Energi and got a verbal warning :)

Don't know what kind of mileage it was, But it is pretty contingent on how you drive it, if you are in town and on electric, etc. Our car currently says 149MPG on the dash, because it is all in town and we run it on EV-Now mode. If we had it on normal hybrid mode, it would probably be around 45. When gas and not plugging it in, it's around 38.

#19 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:18 PM

Didn't realize the ELRs had dropped so far, last I looked they were still north of $35K

Most of them still are.

http://www.autotrade...&searchRadius=0

#20 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:23 PM

Find me a Tesla with these miles for even double this.

Shoot. I guess this site isn't allowing me to post a cars.com link?????

Anyways.....2014 37,000 miles. $24,995

All the same, while I would love a Tesla until there is a service facility near me it's not going to happen.

Edited by Perry Knopp, 24 March 2017 - 04:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·