Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

I now hate Ford and the Energi

transmission

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:21 AM

Just had my trans replaced at 82k miles. My paperwork referenced TSB 16-0105B. Thankfully in CA, the transmission is covered for 150k miles.

The car is mostly driven on the highway... Hopefully the replacement trans is of better quality.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   David Burnett

David Burnett

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationflorida
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:energi

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:45 PM

If it is just your transmission that is bad, I'm sure there are several thousand dollars worth of parts on your car.

#23 OFFLINE   Babirusa

Babirusa

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 44 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationMerced, California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:13 PM

Since it was covered under warranty (thanks to California), then why the hatred? You've gotten 82000 miles out of the car, and you have a brand new transmission for free.
  • ptjones likes this

#24 OFFLINE   radiobrown

radiobrown

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationVA Beach Virginia
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2016 outback 98 BMW M5

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:09 AM

second post here and I work on many cars, and I wanted add some points here.

CVT's any brand or make I would highly recommend at the very least a drain and fill every 25 to 50k

what I mean by this is not a flush but a basic QT for QT swap.

no I'm in the market for a C-max so I cant contest to any of it setups ect. however on my outback I can drain the CVT trans pan and I get about ~ 6 QT out.

I plan to do this service at 50k along with the brakes, brake fluid, and oil changes in the diffs and engine. (coolant is suppose to last to 100k)

I'm not sure the capacity of the c-max trans but I cant see it being over 8 or so QT

does it even have a trans cooler? any heat above 240 that oil is going to start breaking down at 260-280 its cooked.

do any of you have a scan gauge or a way to check the trans temps?

I am how ever every interested to know how much of the battery is left or capacity that is after that many miles.

and on a side note after all the issues I have read about with the 2013's I will stick clear of them.

#25 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:37 AM

second post here and I work on many cars, and I wanted add some points here.

CVT's any brand or make I would highly recommend at the very least a drain and fill every 25 to 50k

what I mean by this is not a flush but a basic QT for QT swap.

no I'm in the market for a C-max so I cant contest to any of it setups ect. however on my outback I can drain the CVT trans pan and I get about ~ 6 QT out.

I plan to do this service at 50k along with the brakes, brake fluid, and oil changes in the diffs and engine. (coolant is suppose to last to 100k)

I'm not sure the capacity of the c-max trans but I cant see it being over 8 or so QT

does it even have a trans cooler? any heat above 240 that oil is going to start breaking down at 260-280 its cooked.

do any of you have a scan gauge or a way to check the trans temps?

I am how ever every interested to know how much of the battery is left or capacity that is after that many miles.

and on a side note after all the issues I have read about with the 2013's I will stick clear of them.

I checked the manual and the recommendation for changing the Automatic transmission fluid at 150k miles. I normally follow manufacturers recommendations for maintenance. 

I do occasionally track the Transmission temperature with my ScanGauge. It is always cooler than the Engine coolant. The TFT rarely gets above 165ºf if my memory is correct. I will have to check it again next time I take the car out. 

In any event here is the custom gauge I set up in the ScanGauge.

Transmission Temp: units degrees F

TXD: 07E6221E1C
RXF: 0462851E061C
RXD: 3010
Mth : 000900080140
NAM: TFT

I have the 2013 model and am now at 60k miles. There were quite a few recalls early on and that is the main reason it went in for service. Outside of routine maintenance including 3 oil changes, air filters and a new set of tires there has been very little problem with the car. I am on my third battery. The last one I paid for so its warrantee should help if the current trend continues. I also paid $65 to have the GPS recalibrate after it suffered  became creative with tracking the car. I did lose 1kWh of capacity after allowing the HVB to get too hot in the summer of 2015. Since then I track the HVB temp to prevent overheating and have suffered no additional HVB capacity loss issues.  All in all the cost of ownership has bee very low on this car. And I am quite satisfied with the car. 

Tom

Edited by Tom_NC_1, 12 September 2017 - 04:37 AM.

• miboje likes this

#26 OFFLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 194 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm C-Max Energi

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:55 AM

The thing is with the eCVT in ours is it is a totally different design to non-hybrid CVT's such as the ones in Subaru's and other non-hybrid vehicles. One planetary gearset and no clutches or gear changes. Gearing ratio is simply changed by varying the motor speeds. As such there is very little friction and heat that you'd normally see from other transmissions. Also not a lot of components to wear out. In fact our eCVT is very similar in design to those in Priuses if you want something with history to compare against. Even Ford's Escape hybrid's going back to 2005 used nearly the same exact design as what we have now.

You really have to change your thought processes coming from a traditional ICE only vehicle to a hybrid. Brakes and brake fluid you shouldn't HAVE to do at 50k. At best I'd just check them and work on as needed. Most owners seem to get over 100k on a set of pads as a baseline. Coolant as you mentioned should last 100k without needing replacement. Like brakes, feel free to check on occasion for color and clarity and do the work if necessary. Oil is set for 20k mi/2 years which is fine. Our engines do not run that often especially if taking advantage of plugging in on a regular basis. Feel free to do an oil analysis and get a more accurate OCI estimate.

I've got a 2013 as well which I bought at 42k odo and it is now nearing 53k miles and no major issues so far. TCU and door latch recalls were outstanding at the time of purchase and got dealt with right away. Sync system died 2 months later but was covered under its own warranty extension recall and taken care of with no problems since and has been rock solid. Mechanically it's been mint.

#27 OFFLINE   radiobrown

radiobrown

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationVA Beach Virginia
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2016 outback 98 BMW M5

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:36 AM

all good points, I have started looking at obtaining a C-max as my current drive is 19 miles one way and once I change duty stations back to CT my round trip will be right at 20 a day maybe more.

I currently use our Outback to drive for Uber and Lyft. along with shuttling the kids and wife around when they use it (don't currently have a car that runs and why I am in the market for something)

I plan to use the C-max to continue to ride share like I do now to keep the miles off of the outback (16 now 37k)

for my trucks and cars I have (in the past) always gone by worse case to matain life of the car.

I do agree that brake fluid should last longer even at 100k I have found that the life can vary by car and its best to check the PH of the fluid with the test strips.

the fluid is hypobaric (spell) meaning that it absorbs water and thus is why I flush it every 5 years or 50-75k or sooner to maintain brake feel. again... like you said this car the c-max and others like it are vasty different as they use regen to slow and all that.

also if I read correctly here there is no coolant temp sensor, it instead uses the heads temp (the hottest part) to determin the cars engine temp.

im not up to the full lingo on the car such as ICE and all that HVB and LVB I do understand those two. what ever else is there I don't.

this will be the first hybrid I have owned when I do buy. I have in the past driven the civic crx hatch hybrid and was quite impressed with it but it used the engine all the time and was a 6 speed or 5 cant recall right now.

but when you had the electric motor contribute it was like a little turbo boost... not much but enough to feel like the car was a lot faster and was really enjoyable and I look forward to the same here.

now if the fluid isn't getting as hot as I expected and I am by far no expert of the car, it would seem to me that there is a issue with bearing size that would cause failure over time of the engine as it seems if it is as simple of a trans compared to the cvt and other autos I have worked on there is no reason why it would not last the life of the car.

#28 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:11 AM

The highest temperature I've seen with Grill Covers on and 100*F OT is 208*F, most of the time it is 180's*F after an hour or so. Paul

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: transmission

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·