Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Today I used up just about all the gas

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:40 PM

I had a little under 1/4 tank this morning and I was headed to Salem CT for the day.  Only 1 charge possible today, I made it to my destination using 1.01 gallons and 87% of the HVB.

On the way home I had to conserve, as total range for the car was less than the distance to home by about 12 miles, but I managed to nurse it home closing the 12 mile gap to about 4 and getting there with some gas "reserve".

For those wanting to know, the car will still drive (not sure how much) after you reach 0 miles range.  The gas gage will turn yellow first then red, and apparently with red there is some "distance" in the gage to the downside below the empty line.  FYI, I had a 2 gallon gas can in case I ran out, I was going to put some in before leaving but then decided just take the can with me and I'll put some in if I need it.

I kept some battery reserve (between 5 to 10%) most of the way home (started at 13%) just in case I ran out of gas I could pull over at a convenient location.  I was talking to my buddy as I got closer and closer to home and I told him "I got one more burn to do up this last hill" and from there I knew I would make it home on the remaining 5% battery. 

I'll have to say this is the "lightest" my car has ever been.  When I get gas I'm curious to see how much it will take to fill it up.  I'll post later about that and let you know.  Below are some pictures.

-=>Raja.

Attached Files

Edited by rbort, 25 June 2016 - 08:42 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:18 AM

From the testing I have done with CMAX/FFH gas tanks are about .5 gal larger than OM says. Also I find that when you hit 0E I have .5-1gal. left in the tank.  NRG is suppose to have 14 gal. tank so I'm guessing total of 14.5gal. :smile2:  BTW you will probably never run out of gas going uphill, just down hill or flat, pick up must be in the back of the tank. :smile2: 

Paul 

#3 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:50 AM

That's what I figured Paul, thanks for the confirmation.  I see that there is still a "hair" of gas on the indicator under the E mark, looks like it goes 1/16 to 1/8th to the downside below that.  I saw it move up and down by a hair when the car was level vs up or downhill.  I forget if it was lower or higher indicating when uphill attitude, but I did see it change.  

In Fords you can always squeeze alot more gas into the tank after the spout clicks off.  In my Ranger its as much as 2 gallons maybe, alot.  In the Cmax its also at least close to a gallon.   My wife's BMW and my old Mercedes (German cars) are serious, when it clicks off there isn't much more to go, maybe 1/4 gallon or less and its pouring out.

I'll fill my car until it clicks and see what it shows, then I might squeeze in some more just to see where its at with that was left absolute in there.

-=>Raja.

• ptjones likes this

#4 OFFLINE   bschwerdt

bschwerdt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 CMax Energi, 302A / 2012 Nissan Leaf SV

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:39 AM

I had a Honda in college which advertised a 12 gallon tank.  One trip back to school, I drove through the Adirondacks looking for an open gas station, but couldn't find one.  I ended up driving over 100 miles with the gas light on - talk about nerve racking!  When I finally filled it, the car soaked up 16 gallons of fuel!

I'm curious how large the CMax's tank really is, although I hope to never push it that far!  Do let us know what you find.

#5 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:49 AM

I got into the red zone once and liked how, at some point, the nav screen suddenly showed all the gas stations nearby!  And of course I recorded it for my Permanent Record:

Attached Files

Edited by ArizonaEnergi, 27 June 2016 - 06:49 AM.

• ptjones and P=E/t like this

#6 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 410 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:00 PM

I had the range down to 15 miles today and the gauge turned  red I was late for a meeting but didn't want to be stuck on the side of the road so i stopped for 4 gallons of gas!

#7 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:13 PM

You guys are right, I looked and see every gas station shown on the navigation map.  I guess my car is trying to tell me...Hey man, you need gas!

I can't see myself in this car being "stuck" on the side of the road.  If you are low on fuel, save the battery miles and burn the gas first, if you run out at least you still have the battery to maneuver either into a gas station or off the highway to some side street while you try to figure out which way to head towards the nearest gas station.

-=>Raja.

• ptjones likes this

#8 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:45 PM

You guys are right, I looked and see every gas station shown on the navigation map.  I guess my car is trying to tell me...Hey man, you need gas!

I can't see myself in this car being "stuck" on the side of the road.  If you are low on fuel, save the battery miles and burn the gas first, if you run out at least you still have the battery to maneuver either into a gas station or off the highway to some side street while you try to figure out which way to head towards the nearest gas station.

-=>Raja.

With 225 fillups, I have run out of gas 6 times in my CMAX Hybrid and once in 2015 FFH to find out what size of tank it had.  Three times I ran out on purpose and had gas can with me and put gas in the tank twice and EVed the third one.  The other three times were non intentional, but was going to fill up in town were gas stations aren't more than a mile apart.  I broke my cardinal rule of getting gas by 25 miles past 0E, I have always runout going more miles than that. I EVed in those cases not having to go more than 1 mile. :smile2:  BTW I have gone over 60 miles past 0E and not run out. :smile2:   The bottom line is that NRG should never get stuck at the side of the road with that big HVB, you have to do so many things wrong for that to happen. :wink:

Paul

#9 OFFLINE   bschwerdt

bschwerdt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:04 AM

So, Paul... how big is the CMax Hybrid's tank?  Don't leave us hanging like that!  And is it fair to assume that the Energi has the same size?  Is the hybrid's tank also pressurized, or is it a different system?

#10 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:14 AM

So, Paul... how big is the CMax Hybrid's tank?  Don't leave us hanging like that!  And is it fair to assume that the Energi has the same size?  Is the hybrid's tank also pressurized, or is it a different system?

The "Actual Size is 13.9-14gal"  if you fill up an empty tank. NRG OM says 14gal so suspect actual size is 14.5gal.  I assume both have the same Fuel System, just different HVB's. :smile2: I can't wait for rbort to run out of gas so we can find out the actual tank size.  :smile2:

Paul

#11 OFFLINE   bschwerdt

bschwerdt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:43 AM

Maybe I won't fuel up before leaving town this weekend.  I have a quarter tank, I'm sure to run out along the way.  Keeping the car in EV Later assures you aren't stranded.  Then again, maybe I shouldn't do that with the wife and kids on board.

#12 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:26 AM

I will be getting gas today or tomorrow at the latest, I have to get gas before 7/1 as my points will expire then for gas discounts.  I don't plan to use the engine any more so I won't run out of gas, sorry Paul, but I'll let you know how much until the gas pump clicks off and how much I can squeeze in if I can do that.

The energi has a 14.0 gallon tank per Ford Ads, and the hybrid is 13.5 gallons.

-=>Raja.

#13 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationcentral
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max energi, Fusion Ti Hy, Mustang GT, Triumph TR7

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:58 AM

I'm so used to driving my C-max and not buying gas I don't even look at the gauge.  You can imagine my surprise Monday when the fuel gauge on my Mustang turned red and an alarm started beeping at 20 miles to empty.  Oh yah, I do have to put gas in that one. 

#14 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:41 PM

Come on Guys, someone step up to the plate and run out of gas so everyone will know how big the tank is. :smile2:

It is hard to believe that no one has run gas in 3.5Yrs. :drop:

Paul

#15 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:46 PM

I filled it today, it clicked at 13 gallons and then I squeezed in another 1/4 gallon.  I would expect that it indeed is a 14 gallon tank and perhaps there was 3/4 gallon left in there.  Now showing 587 miles range on gas so for 14 gallons its calculating 42mpg for the ICE based on my last usage.  I've had it as high as 632 with the engine singing on the highway at 45mpg at 65mph.

-=>Raja.

#16 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:32 AM

I filled it today, it clicked at 13 gallons and then I squeezed in another 1/4 gallon.  I would expect that it indeed is a 14 gallon tank and perhaps there was 3/4 gallon left in there.  Now showing 587 miles range on gas so for 14 gallons its calculating 42mpg for the ICE based on my last usage.  I've had it as high as 632 with the engine singing on the highway at 45mpg at 65mph.

-=>Raja.

I'm guessing you had 1 1/4 gal. left, 60 miles. :wink:  You can do better than this. :smile2:  Most of my fill ups are over 13 gallons and average 700 miles on a tank.  :shift:  Sure would be nice to know how big the tank actually is. :headscratch:

Paul

#17 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:35 AM

You think its 15 gallons?  Well I don't really have to run out of gas to find out for sure, but what I did find out is that I could use the gas until it reaches 0 miles at which point there will be from E down to -E1/16 t0 -E1/8 before it runs out.  I'd rather not run out but I'm all about using most of the gas, in my previous cars I never got gas until I got the low fuel light on instead of "not letting it get below a 1/4"

-=>Raja.

• ptjones likes this

#18 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:51 AM

You think its 15 gallons?  Well I don't really have to run out of gas to find out for sure, but what I did find out is that I could use the gas until it reaches 0 miles at which point there will be from E down to -E1/16 t0 -E1/8 before it runs out.  I'd rather not run out but I'm all about using most of the gas, in my previous cars I never got gas until I got the low fuel light on instead of "not letting it get below a 1/4"

-=>Raja.

No, 14.5gal., you said you put in 13 1/4 gal. so I'm thinking you had 1 1/4gal. left or about 60 miles more range. :smile2: I'm averaging 58mpg on this tank so I might make 800mi. :smile2:

Paul

#19 OFFLINE   NedB

NedB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax, 2005 FEH & 2007 Prius

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:36 PM

Back in my days as a courier, I got pretty used to running my cars down to the very bottom of the tanks. I had a Chevy Aveo 5 door, and then my Prius (an errant Matrix driver totaled the Aveo for me one day in a <30mph accident).I was running 250-500 miles per day, which basically meant a fill every day.
One thing that you who keep your gas for months may want to consider is that eventually crud from the gas stations' tanks will build up in your tank. You may not want to empty it 99.9%, as it will wind up in your fuel filter. You may also want to check the manuals and or ask at the stealer, er, um ,...dealership about using a fuel stabilizer.

#20 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:36 PM

Hey Ned,

Usually there is a filter inside the tank, and then there is a filter afterwards for the car.  Any large particles are never going to get out of the tank, they just roam around in there forever.  I had to take my wife's BMW tank apart recently to look at the fuel flow issue between the left and right tanks, and I drained what was left out with my hand pump and vacuumed out the tank.  There was very small particles in there, none of which could get out because the pump had a screen on it that was very fine, a mesh that is pretty much solid looking. 

Anyway, just an FYI, and for the record I always run my tanks down also, at least until the low fuel light comes on in general, unless I'm driving somewhere long distance and the gas is cheap "here" so I get it again even though I'm not low.

-=>Raja.

• ptjones likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·