Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

MFM vs SYNC?

sync

Best Answer stolenmoment , 04 August 2016 - 12:25 PM

In case anybody's still listening, I finally got a moment to call the Ford support number that the app displays when this failure happens, and after a bit of holding, it was suggested that I log out of the app, and log back in.

Believe it or not, that did the trick.  My flabber was definitely gasted.

*sigh*

Of course, I still need new glasses to read the tiny print, but the info's all there!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 332 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:00 PM

I have my phone BlueTooth paired with my car (I can play podcasts through the car speakers), and the MFM app works pretty much (except for the tiny lettering), but some things act like they're not communicating, and I think it has to do with SYNC features.

Ferinstance, on the MFM webpage, it shows my GO times (which I entered on the car's screen), but it also says "GO Times schedule sync is pending for Maxwell Smart.".

With the Android app, when I try to retrieve the recent trip and charge log, I get a popup window with "Service or Network Error" and it tells me to call Ford; I can retrieve any other information that I've tried.  I can see the trip & charge log on the website, and it appears accurate.

Is there some extra step?  I've certainly allowed access each time it has asked.

Thanks!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:31 AM

Sounds like your Sync is working just fine which uses Bluetooth to connect to your phone.

MFM on the other hand uses a built-in 2G cellular transmitter in the car to connect to the internet and from there to your computer and/or phone.  Most likely cause would be that your car is not getting a good enough(or any) 2G signal either because of being in a building that's blocking the signal or that area has already had 2G taken away(or never had it to begin with).  

Next likelihood would be a problem with the cellular transmitter in the car.

#3 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:50 AM

That would've been my first thought, except that I can get charge updates and such, so unless there's some other wireless connection in the car (I haven't set up any WiFi APs, the car's WiFi is too old to use my home system), the 2G is working.

Thanks!

#4 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:57 AM

In a 2013, I don't believe there is any advantage to trying to connect you car to you home wifi. All accounts I have found indicate that the car will not use the wifi for anything. 

On the 2016 and newer cars, wifi can reportedly be used for the car to update it's software, but is still not used for reporting status to the MyFordMobile servers.

It sounds to me like the issue you are having could be that the communication works through when initiated by the car (trip and charge log etc.), but is not succeeding when the servers try to initiate the communication (remote start etc.)

#5 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:59 AM

That would've been my first thought, except that I can get charge updates and such, so unless there's some other wireless connection in the car (I haven't set up any WiFi APs, the car's WiFi is too old to use my home system), the 2G is working.

Thanks!

Hmm, that does seem a bit odd then unless there's something to with the timing of which updates work or don't?  (like it gets a signal and works and then loses it?)  

The wifi setup in the <2016 models is purely just to make a common connection/share internet.  The car won't use it for anything itself.

Though if you're saying that basically everything works on MFM with the exception of the GO Times, I *think* I recall seeing a person or two saying something about having that problem and I think they may have been able to pull a fuse for the TCU(cell modem) to get it to reset but may still have ended up needing to have the TCU replaced...  Though reading again, you are saying you're having other issues with MFM with the trip log on Android.  

#6 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:25 PM   Best Answer

In case anybody's still listening, I finally got a moment to call the Ford support number that the app displays when this failure happens, and after a bit of holding, it was suggested that I log out of the app, and log back in.

*sigh*

Of course, I still need new glasses to read the tiny print, but the info's all there!

#7 OFFLINE   MaxLB

MaxLB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSoCal
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max NRG

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:21 PM

*sigh*

Wow, great post.  I was bummed that MFM on my 2 week old car was having so many issues not getting data.  Didn't think to log out and back in; now it works!

EDIT

Unfortunately, remote commands still don't work...

Edited by MaxLB, 04 August 2016 - 05:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·