Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Remote Start using Key Fob

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Frankman

Frankman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 148 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:Chevrolet Volt

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

Page 62 in the manual describes how to remote start an Energi by pressing the top button on the Key Fob 2X after locking the doors. if the Energi is not connected to an external charger, does this function start the gas engine when the vehicle has a charged battery? Or does it deplete th battery first while warming or cooling the cabin and then fire up the gas engine?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   kjb

kjb

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationCa
  • Current Vehicle:NA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

The feature does not work at all when not plugged in. It only works when plugged in and, presumably, used power from the grid to run the climate devices.

#3 OFFLINE   Frankman

Frankman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

Thanks. That seems strange to me. Because the button is on the key fob I thought it would function like the many other Ford key fobs and would remote start the vehicle in a parking lot as you are walking up to the car. It makes more sense to me that the remote start would not work from the mobile app unless the vehicle is plugged in. For comparison, my Volt will remote start from the key fob or mobile app whether it is plugged in or not.

The feature does not work at all when not plugged in. It only works when plugged in and, presumably, used power from the grid to run the climate devices.

#4 OFFLINE   sean.havins

sean.havins

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 173 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationLoveland, Colorado, USA, Earth, Sol
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

Page 62 in the manual describes how to remote start an Energi by pressing the top button on the Key Fob 2X after locking the doors. if the Energi is not connected to an external charger, does this function start the gas engine when the vehicle has a charged battery? Or does it deplete th battery first while warming or cooling the cabin and then fire up the gas engine?

It will first start only the electrical system, then if the remote start climate control settings are set to return the cabin to the last temp and that temp requires the engine to run, the engine will turn on.
This happens whether or not the car is plugged into a charger.

Sorry, not true. I just tried it both ways and it does work on my car, plugged in or not.

Thanks. That seems strange to me. Because the button is on the key fob I thought it would function like the many other Ford key fobs and would remote start the vehicle in a parking lot as you are walking up to the car. It makes more sense to me that the remote start would not work from the mobile app unless the vehicle is plugged in. For comparison, my Volt will remote start from the key fob or mobile app whether it is plugged in or not.

I don't know what the range in a parking lot is, yet. On page 55, the manual says:

The typical operating range for your transmitter is approximately 33 feet (10 meters). Vehicles with the remote start feature will have a greater range.

I couldn't find any other mention of this greater range they mentioned. Guess I'll have to experiment...
  • Schleprock likes this

#5 OFFLINE   Tdefny

Tdefny

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C-Max Energi, '02 Prius, '00 Town & Country

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

I have tried the fob from about 75' away and it works.

#6 OFFLINE   Frankman

Frankman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

Thanks sean.havins and Tdefny. I was hoping that I could use the key fob in a parking lot to precondition the cabin with cooling on a hot day.

Edited by Frankman, 08 December 2012 - 04:37 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   kjb

kjb

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationCa
  • Current Vehicle:NA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

There must be a dependency on the amount of charge left in the battery. I tested remote start a couple days ago without being plugged in and it did NOT work, so I then plugged it in then it worked. After seeing the post here I tried again today, which has a full charge, and it did work now without being plugged in. I will experiment a little with this and see the results. I do know that, as stated in the manual, that it will no longer remote start within an hr after 2 remote starts.

#8 OFFLINE   mremelman

mremelman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi / 2004 Honda CRV / 1987 Chevy Suburban 6.5TD 3/4 ton 4x4

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

I am curious as to wheter any of you are seeing a power steering error message (little wrench) when you use remote start?

I posted the following on a different forum topic, but I am beginning to think the problem I am seeing is directly related to remote start.

Previous Post From:
** Ford C-Max Energi Brakes, Chassis & Suspension **

Error Messages:

Posted January 10, 09:39 AM (Pacific Time)

I now have 320 miles on my Energi.  Have used less than 1/2 a tank of gas! Lovin every minute of it.
I have been using the remote start, and am not sure if it is tied to an anomaly I am getting.  I am having
a little wrench symbol appear at the bottom of the left display.  When it appears it says to refer to the manual.
I think it is a power steering assist error.  Yesterday, I had to cycle power to get power steering.  I never get the
warning if I don't use remote start.  Stay tuned for updates.

So I again got the error message this morning after a remote start.

That is 4 for 4 error mesages after using remote start.

For all Normal starts later in the day, the error is gone...

I am thinking a firmware bug, or the power steering motor is actually being run during remote start,

which is really shouldn't be.  As a result the motor is overheating, and throwing an error condition.

Performing a shut-down and restart, with a 10 second delay, does not clear the error.

Anybody else seeing this?

#9 OFFLINE   Valkraider

Valkraider

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationPortland
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

The little wrench is not power steering.  It's a high voltage or powertrain fault.

Page 109 of the manual:

Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power
[picture of wrench icon] It will illuminate when a powertrain or high-voltage charge system fault has been detected. If the indicator stays on or continues to come on, contact your authorized dealer as soon
as possible.

#10 OFFLINE   mremelman

mremelman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi / 2004 Honda CRV / 1987 Chevy Suburban 6.5TD 3/4 ton 4x4

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

The little wrench is not power steering.  It's a high voltage or powertrain fault.

Page 109 of the manual:

Interesting, thank you for pointing that out.  When I checked the info panel it said refer to manual for "Error", that is all.  So I searched the owners manual pdf file for the word error, and the word wrench.

Wrench turned up nothing, error came up with the power steering error only.  Made sense, because I had no power steering the second time it happened, until I powered down and up again. 

Now I have to wonder what the proper sequence is with the Remote starting, while plugged in to the grid.  I guess I need to override the the remote start function, by shutting it down with the keyfob then disconnect the charging cable. Until now,  I have pulled it when the car was running the gas engine, and the blue charging ring was off.  I have also powered the car down from inside, then pulled the plug.  Both caused the wrench error.  I guess there is more testing to follow.

#11 OFFLINE   Valkraider

Valkraider

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationPortland

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

I have done what you describe with no problems. However I did get a wrench once at a level 2 charger out at the coast.., I plugged in and it wouldn't initiate a charge and I got the wrench and a CEL for a day then they went away.

#12 OFFLINE   mremelman

mremelman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

I have done what you describe with no problems. However I did get a wrench once at a level 2 charger out at the coast.., I plugged in and it wouldn't initiate a charge and I got the wrench and a CEL for a day then they went away.

So I have been tracking the times I get the wrench.  First off, I have a Leviton Level 2 charger (32Amps @ 240VAC -- 3.7kW). I have been remote starting my car every morning

as I dial in a disconnect method which does not generate the HV system fault (wrench error). 

It seems that there are cross over / relational issues with remote start, and the charger trying to top

off the batteries after the remote start cycle times out.  Pressing the button on the charging head and removing the plug immediately will cause a fault,

even if the car is not running. This will always cause a fault if car is running.  The only remote start sequence (I have found) that will not generate a

fault when using the level 2 charger is: 

Using the keybob, force a shut down of remote start, next press and hold the charging head release button ( for 2-5 seconds),

and verify that the charger has dropped into ready mode (not charging), then pull the charge head. 

It appears that If the charger is still activly charging, the disconnect will generate a transient in battery voltage, and be logged as a fault (my guess based on imperical testing). 

The fault always clears after the next passive (no remote start) charge cycle.  I drive to work, and plug in the 120V charger cord.  I should also note that the high voltage monitor

does not seem as sensitive to the 120V charger being pulled while charging (no errors).

I can find no mention or warnings about requirements for proper sequencing (system charge status, remote start, etc) in the manual.  Perhaps in revision 2.

Edited by mremelman, 17 January 2013 - 01:04 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

I wonder if there's something wrong with your charger.  I've used remote start several times with the Chargepoint 240V chargers and never gotten a wrench.

One thing I am doing is swiping my card on the charger, and then unplugging.  It seems like it should be an unnecessary step, but Chargepoint sends me a complaining email each time I unplug without swiping the card again.

#14 OFFLINE   Valkraider

Valkraider

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationPortland

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

I have unplugged level 2 chargers all the time while its charging, with no problems. I have also used remote start while on level 2 with no problems.

I have used chargers from Blink, ChargePro, Shorepower and Leviton.
  • MarionSpyder NY likes this

#15 OFFLINE   jmfernald

jmfernald

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationAlbuquerque
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

I have no issues with remote start until the dealer installed a Guidepoint GPS-1 tracker.  Now the remote start says it is active but nothing turns on.  Will contact the dealer tomorrow.  I would rather have remote start than the tracker because, as my wife says, "Who is going to steal this car?"

#16 OFFLINE   jeffegg2

jeffegg2

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 187 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Locationwestland, mi.
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

I also get the wrench when remote starting and plugged into my level 2. I also notice that is says like 33 miles on the battery when this happens. I suspect it is a battery heating issue. I have only tried the remote start plugged in when it was really cold, and had the start set on 15 minutes? Perhaps a shorter time would be ok. The car ran fine, and the wrench soon disappears. I also think it may be having the level 2 charging at the same time as the engine running? as the engine does also charge the battery.

#17 OFFLINE   shaggy314

shaggy314

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 134 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:'13 Fusion Energi, 1993 Integra GS

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

Ford's blurb video on the subject:

Edited by shaggy314, 01 March 2013 - 04:08 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   Zyco

Zyco

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationSarasota Fl
  • Current Vehicle:Kia Soul

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:24 AM

Do the Energi key fobs look like that? kind of busy looking IMO

#19 OFFLINE   paladinfello

paladinfello

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

Energi Key Fob w/ hidden key.

lincolnmkxkey11-612.jpg

• mikeb likes this

#20 OFFLINE   bigyin

bigyin

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax Energi

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:48 AM

Just got my new Energi and was concerned about the  remote start and preheating car for me in the cold months to come.

I just set the temperature controls to Auto with the fan set to high and remote start the car about 15 minutes prior to driving it (with the charger plugged in) an voila , she's all nicely warmed up for me.

Only thing I make sure of is to hit the lock button on the car just prior to double clicking on the remote start and I don't have a problem.

Driven over 200 miles so far and the gas gauge has barely moved....unbelievable!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·