Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

How to Improve CMAX to 80-100 MPG on HWY

mpg

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 12 June 2016 - 12:11 PM

I have about reached the limit for AERO and Temperature Efficiency Improvements like Grill Covers and Wheel Covers for my CMAX.  With temps in the 80's*F I can average 50-54mpg at 65-70mph with no A/C on the HWY.   Not bad, but I'm still looking to improve more.  I remembered someone had said the ICE is very inefficient so I looked it up and to my surprise it is only 25-30% at best. WOW drop.gif So looking at GOV site and Wikipedia

http://www.fuelecono...v/feg/atv.shtml

https://en.wikipedia...gine_efficiency

From Wikipedia:

"Modern gasoline engines have a maximum thermal efficiency of about 25% to 30% when used to power a car. In other words, even when the engine is operating at its point of maximum thermal efficiency, of the total heat energy released by the gasoline consumed, about 70-75% is rejected as heat without being turned into useful work, i.e. turning the crankshaft.[1] Approximately half of this rejected heat is carried away by the exhaust gases, and half passes through the cylinder walls or cylinder head into the engine cooling system, and is passed to the atmosphere via the cooling system radiator.[2] Some of the work generated is also lost as friction, noise, air turbulence, and work used to turn engine equipment and appliances such as water and oil pumps and the electricalgenerator, leaving only about 25-30% of the energy released by the fuel consumed available to move the vehicle.

In the past 3–4 years, GDI (Gasoline Direct Injection) increased the efficiency of the engines equipped with this fueling system up to 35%. Currently, the technology is available in a wide variety of vehicles ranging from less expensive cars produced by Mazda, Ford and Chevrolet to more expensive cars produced by BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Volkswagen Auto Group."

As you can see about 30% of the energy is absorbed by the cooling system from piston, cylinder walls and cylinder head and another 30% goes out the tale pipe. wink.png

headscratch.gif This got me to thinking about using a material that has very low Thermal Conductivity and as it turns out I help to develop STAR21G, a 

sml_gallery_143_17_13214.jpg

black material  with Thermal Conductivity of: 1.25 W/(m K) at 25*C, 160 times lower than Aluminum,34 times lower than Steel. 

Aluminum:                                                        205 W/m K) at 25*C

steel:                                                                  43 W/m K) at 25*C

Here are the advantages that I can think of.:

1. Potential  MPG improvement of two times.

2. Almost instantaneous operating temp, no energy being absorbed by combustion parts and lower pollution.

3. Eliminate the need for a cooling system there by saving the cost for having one, may need oil cooling.

4. Cut pollution in half  by using half as much gas for each mile.

5. ICE cars will be cheaper to own and operate then All-electric Cars and create similar amount of air pollution assuming  they use coal fired power to charge battery. 

6. Hybrids could improve MPG's more if we can use exhaust gases to run a steam engine generator to charge HVB from using exhaust gases.  

7. Would increase HP and Torque by a factor of two for the same ICE design. 

8. There maybe more advantages and I will add when I or someone else comes up with them.

I'm thinking 100 mpg/ 1400mi. on a tank with a CMAX Hybrid on the HWY for 2018. shift.gif  (Maybe 2K miles with Hypermiling) yahoo.gif

This isn't a cost effective solution for current CMAX/ICE vehicles, but for Future Hybrid/ICE vehicles this could be a huge improvement in MPG/HP/ Torque and cheaper to make. IMO anyway.  I might try to add this to my ICE now that I'm out of warranty if I get the opportunity. (133K mi) smile.png

It would be interesting if I could get someone at FORD interested in my idea otherwise I'm going to put this information out to the Public Outlets and see what happens. I have applied for a patent too.  

Let me know what you think. smile.png

Paul 

I thought I might clarify how a ICE (internal combustion engine) would work using STAR21G, black material.  This is the way our 4 cycle  engine works :Image3.gif

Induction Cycle pulls in cool air from intake through cylinder head into combustion chamber cooling cylinder head, cylinder walls, piston and valves.

Compression Cycle the air in the combustion chamber compresses further cooling it until the piston gets close to the top where it gets hot and fuel is injected into combustion chamber. 

Power Cycle fuel is burned and is slightly absorbed into combustion chamber.

Exhaust Cycle hot gases are pushed out of combustion chamber with a little more heat absorbed into surfaces of combustion chamber.

As you can see about half of the time the combustion chamber is being heated up and the other half it is cooling down. Because the ICE absorbs very little heat it shouldn't be that hot on the outside of the ICE.  This is also why you will double your MPG's, because 30% of the total energy lost to cooling system won't be lost now.  Or 60% of the energy will be moving the car and 30 % will be going out of the exhaust pipe. smile.png

Paul

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Hackster

Hackster

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 79 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationGTA
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 2016

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:11 PM

Hilarious. Why do you think the ICE-based cars have the cooling system in the first place? Because combustion generates a) expansion of gas, which can be turned into mechanical movement; and b) heat, which is useless and has to be removed from the engine.

#3 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:22 AM

Don't we have Atkinson Engines in our C-Maxes?

https://en.wikipedia...with_Intake.gif

I thought I might clarify how a ICE (internal combustion engine) would work using STAR21G, black material.  This is the way our 4 cycle  engine works :

#4 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,184 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:52 AM

In all seriousness, Toyota has long looked at keeping heat within the system or getting up to temp so not as much energy (gas) is needed on the next cycle.   Reports for the new 4th gen of 70-100mpg are not uncommon under ideal driving conditions.  They are at about 40% thermal efficiency. 

Of course we energi owners know how much more efficient electric motors are and typically see 130-180mpg(e) ratings.

Edited by fotomoto, 13 June 2016 - 07:56 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:21 AM

Don't we have Atkinson Engines in our C-Maxes?

https://en.wikipedia...with_Intake.gif

You have the wrong ICE, ours is a regular 4 cylinder ICE with different valve timing that makes it more FE.

Hilarious. Why do you think the ICE-based cars have the cooling system in the first place? Because combustion generates a) expansion of gas, which can be turned into mechanical movement; and b) heat, which is useless and has to be removed from the engine.

Your a) and b) are the same thing. Burning of the fuel mixture creates heat which expanse the gases and pushes the piston down. The gases are removed during the exhaust cycle.

The point of my Post is my material doesn't absorb heat so you could put half as much air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber and end up with the same amount of heat energy/power.  It is possible that the temperature of gases would be higher to create  the same energy/power with less molecules of gas to work with.  Lubrication of cylinder walls maybe a problem with higher temps.  All these issues have to be researched to come up with viable solutions. 

I do know Corning worked on this idea in the early 90's and stopped for unknown reason. smile.png

Paul

#6 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:34 AM

You have the wrong ICE, ours is a regular 4 cylinder ICE with different valve timing that makes it more FE.

Paul

The current Ford Hybrids have an Atkinson engine.

https://en.wikipedia.../Atkinson_cycle

http://www.ford.com/...cations/engine/

#7 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:09 PM

Here is a YouTube video which explains it.    :smile2:

Paul

#8 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:07 PM

Paul:

This kid doesn't sound like he's really got it together.  Seems like there are bullet holes in his presentation...

-=>Raja.

#9 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:07 AM

Paul:

This kid doesn't sound like he's really got it together.  Seems like there are bullet holes in his presentation...

-=>Raja.

I agree, but he finally makes sense at the end. LOL :smile2:

Paul

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·