Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

This car continues to amaze me- one long hot trip

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   eppyphotog

eppyphotog

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 52 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationPhoenix AZ
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max 303A

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:42 PM

We took our first long trip in the really hot weather this weekend. We drove on Friday from Phoenix to LA. I was meeting an old high school friend who is a film producer/director for the Cine Gear expo on the Paramount lot in Hollywood. Although summer is officially a couple of weeks away that has never stopped Phoenix from starting early. The car was loaded with two adults, cooler, luggage, some camera equipment and our two emergency "go-bags" each weighing 50lbs. We left mid-morning Friday and it was already 105˚. I switched to EV Later after some local driving and reserved 17 EV miles. I decided I was going to drive close to the speed limit most of the way. That meant 75 in AZ and 70 in CA. A Tesla passed me along the way and I thought where is he going? It's 300 miles to Palm Springs and there are very few towns along the way. Our first stop in Quartzsite, 140 miles and 2 hours of driving, we only averaged about 38mpg. For some reason maybe the speed, the car would hardly ever switch to EV on this leg.  In Quartzsite I got the answer to my Tesla question. At the Carl's Jr. there were 8 dedicated Tesla charging stations, 7 of which were occupied, including the guy that passed me doing 80mph. After Quartzsite it was non stop to Woodland Hills, north of LA. That leg was 262 miles with lots of elevation changes. I was even able to put 8 miles back on the HVB on the big hill down into Palm Springs. I am posting photos of much of this. That leg was 42.1 mpg. Remember this was at mostly 70mph with the A/C set to 73˚ with an ambient temperature of 116˚. Friday night I was able to charge for free at my friend's condo garage that had two NRG stations. 

Saturday going to the show and then driving home we made several more stops. LA traffic for the first hour or so was bumper to bumper for about 45 miles. A quick stop for a snack and then another 45 miles of mostly open road and a very hilly drive on I-10 to Banning for coffee. From Banning, it was non stop to home (300 miles), up the mountain from Palm Springs to the not so flat desert to Phoenix. I used eco cruise for the entire trip, except the stop and go in LA and one accident outside Palm Springs. I tried to maintain between 65-75 mph. Again outside temps were 115˚ and inside a very comfortable 73˚. The window tint really kept the car cooler and helped the A/C. You can see by the photos our trip log there and back, some of the temp and mileage readings and our final trip meter.

I have to say that for a car that is almost two tons that we added about another 450 lbs to on this trip, with only a 2 liter engine to be able to get over 42mpg at real highway speeds is phenomenal!

Friday PHX-LA
The Segments home
Banning CA to Phoenix AZ
Close to 50 MPG
Toasty!
Paramount Studios
Friday heading west in Palm Springs
Putting miles back into the HVB
Chiriaco Summit

• Jonathan Ezor likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   astrand1

astrand1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 299 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationDetroit
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Me= 2014 C-Max Energi 302a, White platinum metallic. wife= 2014 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:36 PM

Nice! I'm here in PHX right now working on a movie. I really don't understand you guys living here. The heat is unreal! Side note. A buddy and me went to the talking stick last night and at 9p it was still about 104! One question. What is this "go bag" you speak of?
  • eppyphotog likes this

#3 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,723 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:21 PM

A hundred and sixteen degrees, 114, 110F?  Holy moly you guys can keep it!  I was there last September in San Diego and I drove to Cathedral city (yeah, that's it, same place) and at 6pm it was 110F out.  Everyone stays home with all the blinds drawn, AC running and ceiling fans turning.  At 9:30pm they took us out to eat, and then for a ride around town to see the sights.   It was still 105F and they rolled down the windows so we could see (they are tinted almost black) and with the AC on it was still blaring hot outside.  I had to direct the vent to my face to I can breath the cool AC air.  Crazy!

Next morning at 7am it was already 88F, and by 10am it was a 100!

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 05 June 2016 - 08:22 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   bschwerdt

bschwerdt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 406 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationSyracuse, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 CMax Energi, 302A / 2012 Nissan Leaf SV

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:01 AM

Nice trip!  I was immediately thinking of that Quartzite supercharger when you mentioned the Tesla.  I was out there checking it out shortly after it opened.  There were no cars charging at the time, it must have been a sight to see 7 of 8 stalls in use!  Just think of what it will look like when the Model III hits the streets.  Crazy!  As much as I love EVs, with a PHEV, you can do most of your miles in EV without worrying about crowding at the gas station for the once a month you need to stop.

Summer has been in full swing in the northeast too.  It has broken 90F three days already, and yes that is HOT for upstate NY.  I've been out in AZ when temperatures were pushing 130F (no, I'm not exaggerating), and it is unreal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·