Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Energi or Hybrid? Which one is right for me?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MNHybridCurious

MNHybridCurious

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion SEL

Posted 27 May 2016 - 10:26 AM

Good afternoon.

I've never owned a hybrid or plug in hybrid, but have been interested in them for a couple of years and now, after learning about the C-Max, my wife and I are curious about possibly trading in my 4 cylinder Fusion for a C-Max.

The question I would have is how does a person decide whether the Hybrid or the Energi is right for their needs?  To help, I live in southern Minnesota and live in a small, rural community.  Most of the drivign with this car would be for myself and my work as a Lutheran minister.  I drive across town to and from my office each day, and much of my driving is in the city.  Some of my driving takes me to other surrounding communites within 25 miles of me.  Occasionally I have to do hospital calls in a larger city about 80 miles away.  

Which car would I be better for me to own long-term, the Hybrid or the Energi?  If so, I tend to drive my cars well over 200,000 miles before I get rid of them, thus which one is holding up better for long term use?

Finally, I am looking to buy used, so are there things that I should be looking out for with either the hybrid or the Energi models when buying used?  At what point would high mileage come into play?  (Some of the models we are looking at are 60,000-65,000 miles?)  

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   epic

epic

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 161 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationburnet ,texas
  • Current Vehicle:cmax energI

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:49 PM

no brainer--the eneri.hope you qualify for all the rebates tax whise

#3 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,721 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:59 PM

I would go with the Energi for sure, its the hybrid but with a bigger battery allowing you to drive up to 30 miles on battery depending on how you drive it whereas the hybrid will allow you to drive up to 2 miles on battery before needing the engine.  All the short trips will cancel the need for the engine in the Energi.  

Some cars have been treated better than others, I would test the battery before buying it by having it full charged and driving until it runs out and the engine starts, then shut off the car and check the trip summary on the screen, you want a battery that can deliver around 5.5kwh, they can vary a little bit but I would shoot for something in the range of 5.4 to 5.6 if you can find one in a good state like that.   Get a car from a colder climate, nothing from down south with a ton of heat, as heat kills the batteries over time sooner.   Any car that can't deliver over 5kwh out of a charge I'd consider the battery deteriorated already and would look up the next option.

There is alot of good reading around here, you can learn alot by just going through the posts.  Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 27 May 2016 - 01:01 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:42 PM

It probably depends on which forum you ask the question  :wink:

You could post over at the hybrid forum and get their responses: http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/

• Smiling Jack likes this

#5 OFFLINE   astrand1

astrand1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 299 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationDetroit
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Me= 2014 C-Max Energi 302a, White platinum metallic. wife= 2014 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:17 PM

My opinion is the energi. It's all the things the hybrid is but with the option of driving 25-30 miles gas free. If you go farther than that then it becomes a hybrid. Of course in the winter time electric range will be less depending on how much you use the heat. I live in Michigan and got a pretty good deal on my energi as they are not as popular in these areas so you might be able to get a better deal on one. Plus with an energi you get more standard options. Having the smart key for one will ruin you from ever wanting a car that you have to put a key into. Lol. For an example I got my 14 energi with nav, power liftgate (302a package) with 13k miles on it for 15k. Good luck shopping. 👍

#6 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:34 PM

part depends on space the Energi has a little less space inside and being up north half the year you are going to need to run the engine for heat.

#7 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:52 AM

I'm a Hybrid Owner and I would go with the Energi as long as Electricity is significantly cheaper than gas. :smile2: You will pay more for an Energi .

Paul

#8 OFFLINE   Hackster

Hackster

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 69 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationGTA
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 2016

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:21 PM

I'm a Hybrid Owner and I would go with the Energi as long as Electricity is significantly cheaper than gas. :smile2: You will pay more for an Energi .

Paul

Here, in Ontario, Canada, the province offers a C$7.7K "incentive" (cash refund) on the purchase (or 36 month lease) of an Energi, whcih actually makes it cheaper than Hybrid SEL. So, for me, it was a no-brainer, as I can live with the reduced cargo space in exchange for the ability to drive some distances "for free" (charging at public chargers) as well as getting HOV lane access on area highways ("freeways" for you, Americans :smile2:). The fact that overnight charging at home is about 2.5x cheaper than the fuel cost was a cherry on the cake.   

#9 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:00 AM

Here, in Ontario, Canada, the province offers a C$7.7K "incentive" (cash refund) on the purchase (or 36 month lease) of an Energi, whcih actually makes it cheaper than Hybrid SEL. So, for me, it was a no-brainer, as I can live with the reduced cargo space in exchange for the ability to drive some distances "for free" (charging at public chargers) as well as getting HOV lane access on area highways ("freeways" for you, Americans :smile2:). The fact that overnight charging at home is about 2.5x cheaper than the fuel cost was a cherry on the cake.   

Sounds like you got your answer. :smile2: For me I wouldn't give up the extra space.

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 31 May 2016 - 06:02 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   dicko

dicko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationWoodstock, IL
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:33 AM

It all depends on your driving profile. If you can do a large percentage of your driving under ~25 miles round trip summer or ~15 miles round trip winter, then you can shift a large portion of your fuel costs to electricity with an Energi, which is considerably cheaper than gas.   If your desire is to save on gas costs, an Energi is the way to go.

If your driving profile is long highway miles, you'll still save but not as much. A regular hybrid might be better.

If you absolutely need the storage space, a hybrid is better. I dont find the loss of space objectionable.

There are government tax credits for buying new Energis & charging stations but they dont apply for used vehicles (at least in the US they dont) so that may affect your decision.

Finally, there are several postings on this forum about battery degradation over time so thats something I'd research before buying a used energi. The 8 year factory warrenty is not carried over to used vehicles.

#11 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:32 AM

It all depends on your driving profile. If you can do a large percentage of your driving under ~25 miles round trip summer or ~15 miles round trip winter, then you can shift a large portion of your fuel costs to electricity with an Energi, which is considerably cheaper than gas.   If your desire is to save on gas costs, an Energi is the way to go.

If your driving profile is long highway miles, you'll still save but not as much. A regular hybrid might be better.

If you absolutely need the storage space, a hybrid is better. I dont find the loss of space objectionable.

There are government tax credits for buying new Energis & charging stations but they dont apply for used vehicles (at least in the US they dont) so that may affect your decision.

Finally, there are several postings on this forum about battery degradation over time so thats something I'd research before buying a used energi. The 8 year factory warrenty is not carried over to used vehicles.

Just a correction on your last item. The HVB warranty is 8 years / 100K or 10 years / 150K (CARB states). It applies to the car, not the owner. So a used Energi would still have the federal warranty.

#12 OFFLINE   dicko

dicko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationWoodstock, IL

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:24 AM

I had nothing better to do so I dug out and read my warranty book.  I also live in a non-CARB state so I'm guessing that what the Ford warranty book says is gospel for my car.

I did find this paragraph:

Note: Lithium-Ion Battery Gradual Capacity Loss The Lithium-ion battery (EV battery) will experience gradual capacity loss with time and use (similar to all lithium-ion batteries), which is considered normal wear and tear. Loss of battery capacity due to or resulting from gradual capacity loss is NOT covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. 

So it seems the loss of capacity isnt a warrantable action anyway  (at least in IL) unless a federal or state required warranty covers it. 

That begs the question, if you are buying a used car, how do you check the capacity of the battery? Go for a long test drive?

#13 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:29 AM

I had nothing better to do so I dug out and read my warranty book.  I also live in a non-CARB state so I'm guessing that what the Ford warranty book says is gospel for my car.

I did find this paragraph:

Note: Lithium-Ion Battery Gradual Capacity Loss The Lithium-ion battery (EV battery) will experience gradual capacity loss with time and use (similar to all lithium-ion batteries), which is considered normal wear and tear. Loss of battery capacity due to or resulting from gradual capacity loss is NOT covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. 

So it seems the loss of capacity isnt a warrantable action anyway  (at least in IL) unless a federal or state required warranty covers it. 

That begs the question, if you are buying a used car, how do you check the capacity of the battery? Go for a long test drive?

Some degradation is expected, but there have been a couple of cases where the hvb has been replaced.

You check it by zeroing out one of the trip meters when you unplug, then running it down until it gets into hybrid mode.

#14 OFFLINE   dicko

dicko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationWoodstock, IL

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:38 PM

You check it by zeroing out one of the trip meters when you unplug, then running it down until it gets into hybrid mode.

I'll have to try it. Tnx!

#15 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:23 AM

You could also read the BAT_TO_EMPTY_ESTIM from an OBD Scan Tool and FORScan, as well, when the battery is fully charged.

• Tom_NC_1 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·