Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

My bad - what's your vote, replace 2 or 4 tires??

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:07 AM

65mph on the highway in snow cover or slush is way too damn fast, its quite easy to lost control and spin out.  If you're driving nearly that fast, about the most you can move the steering wheel from dead center is 25 degrees either left or right.  You must wait until the car decided to catch a grip and move over, otherwise if you steer even 1/2 of 90 (like 45 degrees) because of non response the car is going to catch and over-steer flying off the road.

-=>Raja.

That's the difference between all season tires and real snow tires in snow/slush/freezing/ice/etc.  

With all seasons you just slip all over.  With real snow tires you can go drive along much closer to normal.  

Don't get me wrong, you still need to use caution with your steering inputs as you suggest, but there's a big difference between what happens when you make those steering changes.

Heck, if we're just talking about 30mph city streets then I wouldn't really worry much about tires anyway.  Your biggest problem is just going to be getting stuck in a slushy parking spot.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 435 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:54 AM

I hear ya Raja - I was born and raised in NYC, lived 7 years in Richmond VA with terrible ice storms and black ice roads, and 7 years outside of Rochester NY with white outs and 14+ feet of snow a season.  Learned to drive on lsick/snowy roads like there is an egg under your foot meant, which 30 years later is great for NRG mileage, keeping under 2 bars EV and high braking scores..  So with 4-5/32s tread on rear (our Michelin ES A/S are born at 9.5/32), I imagine it's safer to just get 4 new and getting righteous with rotation.  Now deciding between Michelin ES again, or the LRR from Toyo or Goodyear, need to compare Costco and ExpressTire pricing.   Fronts have only 2/32 so this is a do-it-NOW project.

Edited by dontfret, 13 May 2016 - 09:56 AM.

#23 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 13 May 2016 - 12:43 PM

Don't screw up your Fuelly MPG's, go with the Michelin's. :smile2:

Paul

#24 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 May 2016 - 07:04 PM

Thanks everyone for your feedback and advise.  End of story is I bought 4 Michelsin Energy Saver A/S, same as OEM, at ExpressTire for $825 out the door.- mounted, balanced, filled with N2, disposal fees and taxes.    I talked over saving the half-worn rears for spares, but the rep advised me that at 4/32" remaining tread while they did have some mileage left, the PITA of storing them and using them at some distant future point was not worth it as they would never be at the same wear level as the new ones.  They also advised against over inflating above 39 psi as the slight improvement in MPG was  offset in tire wear and ride comfort.  

#25 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,152 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:07 PM

In the end, you bought what you wanted and what we said didn't matter, so there!  :spend:

Wow, those tires seem pricey, down the road I hope to be able to get my new set for less than that here in the Northeast.  I got 48k miles on mine now, I will rotate them again at 50k, I've been running mine at around 50psi and the wear seems to be reasonable, I expect I'll be able to match Mr. Jones 64k miles on his, might even try to beat it!

As far as MPG numbers, I can get 45mpg at 65mph with my tires, this is without battery and on a fairly level road (not mountains).

-=>Raja.

#26 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:36 AM

In the end, you bought what you wanted and what we said didn't matter, so there!  :spend:

Wow, those tires seem pricey, down the road I hope to be able to get my new set for less than that here in the Northeast.  I got 48k miles on mine now, I will rotate them again at 50k, I've been running mine at around 50psi and the wear seems to be reasonable, I expect I'll be able to match Mr. Jones 64k miles on his, might even try to beat it!

As far as MPG numbers, I can get 45mpg at 65mph with my tires, this is without battery and on a fairly level road (not mountains).

-=>Raja.

I hope you get more, I could have gotten more, but we were tired of noise from the tires, much quieter now. :smile2:

Thanks everyone for your feedback and advise.  End of story is I bought 4 Michelsin Energy Saver A/S, same as OEM, at ExpressTire for $825 out the door.- mounted, balanced, filled with N2, disposal fees and taxes.    I talked over saving the half-worn rears for spares, but the rep advised me that at 4/32" remaining tread while they did have some mileage left, the PITA of storing them and using them at some distant future point was not worth it as they would never be at the same wear level as the new ones.  They also advised against over inflating above 39 psi as the slight improvement in MPG was  offset in tire wear and ride comfort.  

As far as tire pressure goes your tire person was talking in general with no practical experience with your car.  I could have had so much fun talking to him. :smile2: From Michelin's stand point 50 psi isn't over inflating the tire. :wink:

Paul

#27 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:08 PM

I got 48k miles on mine now, I will rotate them again at 50k, I've been running mine at around 50psi and the wear seems to be reasonable, I expect I'll be able to match Mr. Jones 64k miles on his, might even try to beat it!

-=>Raja.

I would be very interested if you would please measure the tread depth at several spots (center, inner, outer) to see how the 50 psi is affecting wear in center/sides.  Would expect greater wear in center at the higher pressure.

#28 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 533 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:21 AM

I run my wife's at 38 PSI as prescribed.  Look very even.  (Rotated every 10k miles).

#29 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:14 AM

I would be very interested if you would please measure the tread depth at several spots (center, inner, outer) to see how the 50 psi is affecting wear in center/sides.  Would expect greater wear in center at the higher pressure.

Using 50 PSI on both sets of tires, the first I had 1/32 from inside edge to outside edge with middle in the middle of the 1/32 caused from an alignment problem. Second set was only a 1/64" total difference, amassing. :clapping: In 64K miles IMO.  The Tech Person at Michelin I talked to said given my results He would recommend using 50 PSI. :smile2: 

Paul 

#30 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:14 AM

Using 50 PSI on both sets of tires, the first I had 1/32 from inside edge to outside edge with middle in the middle of the 1/32 caused from an alignment problem. Second set was only a 1/64" total difference, amassing. :clapping: In 64K miles IMO.  The Tech Person at Michelin I talked to said given my results He would recommend using 50 PSI. :smile2:

Paul 

Thanks Paul, exactly what I was looking for.  Great even wear then.  When you wrote earlier you "were tired of noise from tires, much quieter now" was that a reduction in pressure?  I noticed a distinctly better ride and qiet but did two variables at once, new ruber and reduced from 44 to 39 psi.  Two questions for clarification :  1.  Are you pressurizing to 50 psi at cold inflation?  It would seem to me that with the expected +6-8 psi increase for ambient heat and at highway speed you would then be over max 51 psi rating.  I use TorquePro so monitor tire pressure in real time to 0.1 psi.  2.  Your 1/32 differential across the tire is excellent - how much actual tread is there remaining at 64k miles - I don't imagine you're driving on 1/32" tread.

#31 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,152 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:43 AM

OK,

I just went and measured all 4 tires for you in all 4 tread grooves.

On the rear tires, its 6/32 in the outer 2 grooves, and 5/32 in the inner 2 grooves.  I anticipate that because my car seems to sit "squatted" down when viewed 20 feet from the rear, like its riding on the inside edges.  It always was like that from the day I got it.   Rich, do you have that same look on yours?  I never addressed it, I really should ask about it, but I am rotating tires to wear stuff evenly and I started crossing them last time at 40k miles to alleviate this issue.

On the fronts, they seem to be about 5.5/32 on all 4 grooves, Its not quite 6/32 and seems to be over 5/32 so I split the difference.  There is no excess wear in the middle, don't forget this car is VERY HEAVY (tends to crush any wood I put between the jack and the frame) and I feel what weight when I jack it up, 2 tons worth.  So the excess pressure is not making the car ride on the center of the tires, all that weight is just flattening out the tires.  In a way its nice to have the battery in the back to distribute the tonnage, LOL!   :hysterical:

I put 50 PSI in my tires, but I do a) leak them down in the summer, and b) pump them up in the winter.  In other words, 50 in the summer once winter sets in they drop from the cold, and I just put more air to bring them up.  In the spring I need to leak the air out as they go over due to warmer temps.

I don't worry much about driving tire heat, I think the rating on the tires listed on the sidewall is max cold, not hot from driving.  Let me go check them now.

Ok they all check in around 47-48 PSI.  Its actually cold today for "spring", only in the 55 now.  When it gets to be 80 out I'd bet they will be close to 50, so since warmer weather is coming I'm going to leave them be.  On a hot day I don't want them over 50 parked -- that's what I shoot for.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 16 May 2016 - 10:45 AM.

#32 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:57 PM

Thanks Paul, exactly what I was looking for.  Great even wear then.  When you wrote earlier you "were tired of noise from tires, much quieter now" was that a reduction in pressure?  I noticed a distinctly better ride and qiet but did two variables at once, new ruber and reduced from 44 to 39 psi.  Two questions for clarification :  1.  Are you pressurizing to 50 psi at cold inflation?  It would seem to me that with the expected +6-8 psi increase for ambient heat and at highway speed you would then be over max 51 psi rating.  I use TorquePro so monitor tire pressure in real time to 0.1 psi.  2.  Your 1/32 differential across the tire is excellent - how much actual tread is there remaining at 64k miles - I don't imagine you're driving on 1/32" tread.

Max tire pressure is when tires are cold, I know one of our members is running 55 psi cold.  Neither set was down to 3/32, more like 4-5/32nd's and I was going on long trip when I changed them. I didn't notice a difference in noise with tire pressure. I'm running 50 psi now. :smile2:

Paul

#33 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,152 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:37 PM

The noise...

Paul or anyone else, I have this sort of 'woo woo woo' noise when I'm driving on the highway, sounds like its coming from the rear.  I'm not sure if its from the tires or if there is a bad bearing or something like that back there.  Can you elaborate more about the noise?  I didn't address it yet as I read it could be from the tires and I figured I'd wait until I got new tires and if its still there then go to the dealer to check out the axles.

Here is a video from my drive down to FL, you can sort of hear the woo woo noise if you listen carefully.  Let me know what you think?

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 16 May 2016 - 02:02 PM.

#34 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:09 PM

I think it is tires, doesn't sound too bad. Does the sound change going over different surfaces? :smile2:

Paul

#35 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,152 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:32 PM

Paul, that's a darned good question!  I didn't really pay much attention to that, its a good diagnosis tip, I'll listen more carefully next time  :smile2:

-=>Raja.

#36 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 533 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:24 AM

The noise...

Paul or anyone else, I have this sort of 'woo woo woo' noise when I'm driving on the highway, sounds like its coming from the rear.  I'm not sure if its from the tires or if there is a bad bearing or something like that back there.  Can you elaborate more about the noise?  I didn't address it yet as I read it could be from the tires and I figured I'd wait until I got new tires and if its still there then go to the dealer to check out the axles.

Here is a video from my drive down to FL, you can sort of hear the woo woo noise if you listen carefully.  Let me know what you think?

-=>Raja.

My bet is engine.  I had that type of noise when I changed to a K&N intake in a '99 GS400.

#37 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,152 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:11 AM

Hey Jz:

Thanks for the tip, but in this case its not the engine, I can still hear it in EV mode.

-=>Raja.

#38 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationcentral
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max energi, Fusion Ti Hy, Mustang GT, Triumph TR7

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:58 AM

Rotate the tire to the other end of the car and see if the noise moves or goes away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·