Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

For a 2013 model, What EV range is everybody getting? What is your avg MPG?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   bdginmo

bdginmo

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Fusion Energi

Posted 11 November 2016 - 10:55 AM

My mileage continues to go down every month. It is now showing an average of 137 mpg. Ford checked my battery and said it was operating and charging normally. I drive pretty "normal". I do not speed, do not drive 45 in a 70mph zone, rarely turn on heat unless it is under 30 degrees outside (For some reason, car heat does not agree with me), and I do not accelerate quickly. :(

What does the trip computer say is the kwh used after a full charge? Post back and report the reading at the moment the car switches to hybrid mode.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   Mikekoz

Mikekoz

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax Energi

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:42 AM

What does the trip computer say is the kwh used after a full charge? Post back and report the reading at the moment the car switches to hybrid mode.

I will try to get that this eve on my way home. I think it normally shows 4.0 to 4.4 kwh when I turn off the car, but that is after driving about 10-12 miles with the hybrid engine.

#43 OFFLINE   Mikekoz

Mikekoz

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 21 November 2016 - 06:51 AM

Unfortunately, when the car switches to hybrid mode, I am in heavy traffic and I need to pay attention to where I am going, so I cannot supply that information. Will the info show up in the same place it does when I turn the car off? This morn when I got to work, it showed 3.7, and the car switched to hybrid mode after I went about 7-8 miles. It was 26 degrees out side, and I was using the heater, but this is the shortest period of time the car has done this. I just think my battery has lost a lot of capacity in 2 1/2 years. More than it should. If it continues to drop like this, I may have to contact Ford if our local dealer here does not fix it.

#44 OFFLINE   bdginmo

bdginmo

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Fusion Energi

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:55 AM

Unfortunately, when the car switches to hybrid mode, I am in heavy traffic and I need to pay attention to where I am going, so I cannot supply that information. Will the info show up in the same place it does when I turn the car off? This morn when I got to work, it showed 3.7, and the car switched to hybrid mode after I went about 7-8 miles. It was 26 degrees out side, and I was using the heater, but this is the shortest period of time the car has done this. I just think my battery has lost a lot of capacity in 2 1/2 years. More than it should. If it continues to drop like this, I may have to contact Ford if our local dealer here does not fix it.

3.7 kwh is pretty low. A like-new HVB will be closer to 5.4+ kwh. The cold will result in a small non-permanent loss of capacity. You can't help that, but it only accounts for a few 1/10ths of a kwh anyway. Can you repeat the test one more time? This time keep the heater off. It uses the HVB and while the computer should account for it in the trip kwh figure it is an easy enough variable to eliminate so go ahead and keep it off. Don't expect a drastic change from your 3.7 kwh reading though.

Edited by bdginmo, 21 November 2016 - 08:56 AM.

#45 OFFLINE   Mikekoz

Mikekoz

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:02 PM

3.7 kwh is pretty low. A like-new HVB will be closer to 5.4+ kwh. The cold will result in a small non-permanent loss of capacity. You can't help that, but it only accounts for a few 1/10ths of a kwh anyway. Can you repeat the test one more time? This time keep the heater off. It uses the HVB and while the computer should account for it in the trip kwh figure it is an easy enough variable to eliminate so go ahead and keep it off. Don't expect a drastic change from your 3.7 kwh reading though.

Thanks for the reply! I will try that tomorrow morn. One problem I may have, is another issue I have with this car. I normally have to continually keep the defrost on during my entire 28 mile trek to work! I had the same problem on another Cmax we owned. Anyway, I will give it my best and thanks for your help!

#46 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 417 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:04 AM

You are correct, your HVB has lost a lot of capacity in less than 3 years.  It is likely not short-term cold-related, more likely permanent loss from repeated heating during both normal use charging and discharging.  Mine can now only hold and discharge ~ 3.8 kWh from a full charge (using defrost/heat/AC will change the rate of discharge and lower the estimated EV miles, but the actual capacity of the battery is not variable based on rate of discharge). Unfortunately, when you go to the dealer they will test it, confirm your capacity is less than 75% of the original 5.5 capacity, then they are instructed by Ford to tell you loss of battery capacity is within normal wear and tear.  When you ask them what is the range of 'normal' so you can determine if your car is outside this range and therefore eligible for warranty service/replacement , you will sadly be told they cannot tell you what is the specification of the warranty, that is 'proprietary.'  When I had that sad conversation with Ford Customer Service, I reminded them our battery warranty is for 8 years/100,000 miles, or 10/150,000 in California.  The representative agreed, but is not allowed to say what is warranted to do for 8/10 years.  So we are officially hosed.  Same story happened to the early Leaf owners until a class action suit successfully forced Nissan to state a warranty specification and replace batteries in cars that didn't meet it.  In another thread here I posted the name of the same law firm that is examining whether there are enough Cmax/Fusion Energi owners to begin a similar suit.

#47 OFFLINE   bro1999

bro1999

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 499 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Locationmaryland
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Chevy Volt / 2017 Volt / 2017 Bolt EV

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:33 AM

Blurb I found in a Ford' doc explaining 2016 new vehicle warranties:

You may not bring any warranty-related claim as a class
representative, a private attorney general, a member of a class of
claimants or in any other representative capacity.

What?! You can't participate in a class action lawsuit for a warranty-related claim?? Is that even legal??

AND

You are required to submit your warranty dispute to the BBB AUTO
LINE before exercising rights or seeking remedies under the Federal
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq. To the extent
permitted by the applicable state ‘‘Lemon Law’’, you are also required
to submit your warranty dispute to the BBB AUTO LINE before
exercising any rights or seeking remedies under the ‘‘Lemon Law’’. If
you choose to seek remedies that are not created by the
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act or the applicable state ‘‘Lemon Law,’’
you are not required to first use BBB AUTO LINE to resolve your
dispute – although the program is still available to you.
For more information regarding the BBB AUTO LINE program, see
page 35 of this booklet.

What the heck is the BBB AUTO LINE??

The Better Business Bureau (BBB)
AUTO LINE Program (U.S. Only)
Your satisfaction is important to Ford Motor Company and to your dealer.
If a warranty concern has not been resolved using the three-step
procedure outlined on the first page of the Customer Assistance section,
you may be eligible to participate in the BBB AUTO LINE program.
The BBB AUTO LINE program consists of two parts - mediation and
arbitration. During mediation, a representative of the BBB will contact
both you and Ford Motor Company to explore options for settlement of
the claim. If an agreement is not reached during mediation and your
claim is eligible, you may participate in the arbitration process. An
arbitration hearing will be scheduled so that you can present your case
in an informal setting before an impartial person. The arbitrator will
consider the testimony provided and make a decision after the hearing.
You are not bound by the decision, but should you choose to accept the
BBB AUTO LINE decision, Ford must abide by the accepted decision as
well. Disputes submitted to the BBB AUTO LINE program are usually
decided within forty days after you file your claim with the BBB
BBB AUTO LINE Application: Using the information provided below,
please call or write to request a program application. You will be asked
for your name and address, general information about your new vehicle,
information about your warranty concerns, and any steps you have
already taken to try to resolve them. A Customer Claim Form will be
mailed that will need to completed, signed, and returned to the BBB
along with proof of ownership. Upon receipt, the BBB will review the
claim for eligibility under the Program Summary Guidelines.
You can get more information by calling BBB AUTO LINE at
1-800-955-5100, or writing to:
BBB AUTO LINE
3033 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 600
Arlington, Virginia 22201
BBB AUTO LINE applications can also be requested by calling the Ford
Motor Company Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-392-3673.

------------------------------

Have any of you guys contacted this BBB AUTO LINE? Maybe they can actually do something?

Attached Files

Edited by bro1999, 22 November 2016 - 10:39 AM.

#48 OFFLINE   Mikekoz

Mikekoz

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:50 AM

At the end of my drive to work yesterday the car showed 4.2 kwh. I did not turn on the heat and it was 28 degrees outside. Regardless of what all of these numbers mean, the avg MPG is the end result. I am probably just going to have to wait till it gets worse to try to get Ford to replace the battery.

#49 OFFLINE   Mikekoz

Mikekoz

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:53 AM

You are correct, your HVB has lost a lot of capacity in less than 3 years.  It is likely not short-term cold-related, more likely permanent loss from repeated heating during both normal use charging and discharging.  Mine can now only hold and discharge ~ 3.8 kWh from a full charge (using defrost/heat/AC will change the rate of discharge and lower the estimated EV miles, but the actual capacity of the battery is not variable based on rate of discharge). Unfortunately, when you go to the dealer they will test it, confirm your capacity is less than 75% of the original 5.5 capacity, then they are instructed by Ford to tell you loss of battery capacity is within normal wear and tear.  When you ask them what is the range of 'normal' so you can determine if your car is outside this range and therefore eligible for warranty service/replacement , you will sadly be told they cannot tell you what is the specification of the warranty, that is 'proprietary.'  When I had that sad conversation with Ford Customer Service, I reminded them our battery warranty is for 8 years/100,000 miles, or 10/150,000 in California.  The representative agreed, but is not allowed to say what is warranted to do for 8/10 years.  So we are officially hosed.  Same story happened to the early Leaf owners until a class action suit successfully forced Nissan to state a warranty specification and replace batteries in cars that didn't meet it.  In another thread here I posted the name of the same law firm that is examining whether there are enough Cmax/Fusion Energi owners to begin a similar suit.

They probably are going to be very hesitant to replace the battery because of the its cost. I hear they are pretty expensive. All they told me is that it was charging normally, but did not give me any more info than that. 

#50 OFFLINE   ldcarson

ldcarson

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Region:South America
  • LocationBuenos Aires, Argentina
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 03 December 2016 - 05:39 PM

I have only 9300 miles on my 2013 - Do i get teh award for lowest mileage energi (2013).  Mine is still getting around 20-23 on a charge.  We are moving into summer down south here so it will like head to 18-19.  My average is 74 MPGe.  I charge 1 time a week on 220volts, my commute is only 3 miles a day(hence the low mileage).  haven't really looked at the kW setting but will do so this coming week.

#51 OFFLINE   raucous

raucous

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:53 AM

I have an early 2013 with 30K miles on it. The usable battery capacity is currently 4.4 kWh. This time of the year at sea level, with temperatures around freezing, a somewhat hilly route, and humidity high enough that I'm forced to use the climate control system I'm getting 9 or 10 miles of EV range. It's more like 17 miles in the summer. The highest I've seen is 38 miles of range. That was at 8000 feet on a fairly flat route with a lowish speed limit (Yellowstone).

#52 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 148 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationWV
  • Current Vehicle:FOrd

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:43 PM

2013 with 41,000. The winter so far is pretty mild and I did 19.5 miles yesterday.  I've had it around 1200 miles now and I've raised the average from 42.6 to 43.1 lifetime.

#53 OFFLINE   raucous

raucous

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:49 AM

I forgot to include our overall MPG: 86.5. It typically climbs in the summer when the EV range is long enough to get into town and back and falls a bit in the winter when it's not. Long driving vacations affect that as well (we were at 160 MPG until the first one), but we've only taken a few of those in the not quite four years that we've had the car. The average MPG has dropped a bit more than I would have expected this winter. I think that's probably due to a combination of a colder than normal couple of months here and a reduction in the capacity of our EV battery.

I imagine that there's a strong inverse correlation between higher overall MPG (and so more charging) and a long-term reduction EV battery capacity. Has anyone seen evidence of that?

#54 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,721 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:23 AM

Absolutely, the more you use the battery, the more its going to wear out.  Use it too much at the same time in warmer weather and you're going to accelerate its capacity loss.  You're down to 4.4 now you said?  For me I have lifetime of 69mpg, 62500 miles and 3 2/3rd years life on the car.  I do alot of long trips all over the country, and use the battery locally (and on long trips 1 or 2 charges per day).  Just last week I got 5.4kwh out of my battery, but that's using the hybrid portion as well and in the winter time.  It certainly is wearing out, but not as fast as others.  Depends on how you treat it and I haven't been perfect either to be honest.

-=>Raja.

#55 OFFLINE   CMaxEnergizer

CMaxEnergizer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Energi

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:06 PM

I've owned my C-Max Energi for almost 2yrs.  Despite the heat the Pheonix Metro Area gets from June - Aug I have not seen a drop in performance.  the only thing I have noticed is the car seems to be stuck charging to 26mi. range regardless it is a 110v charger or a 240v public charger.  My commute to work I usually get 3.8 to 4.0 mi regen driving to work and on the way home.

#56 OFFLINE   new2energi

new2energi

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMidwest
  • Current Vehicle:Prius

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:00 PM

I have a new-to-me 2013 Energi (early 2012 build date).

Based on the 10 trips I've taken so far that are pure EV, I'm showing 131 MPG, equating to 4.0 miles per kWh. This is at temps ranging from 53-76 deg F with mostly rural driving with a few stops, not interstate.

My vehicle has >16,000 EV miles, 82,000 miles total. So nearly 1,000 charging cycles. For the 5 times that I've ran the EV battery completely out and paid attention, it discharged an average of 5.28 kWh, so almost no degradation. I'm pleasantly shocked! At 4.0 miles per kWh that means 21 EV miles

#57 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:22 PM

I am at 42K with about 1/2 EV miles my range is about 25 or so with the weather it is very up and down, I have seen 26-28 at times, but I drive carefully but not any slower than the rest of traffic.

#58 OFFLINE   Byte606

Byte606

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax energi

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:40 AM

In the summer and on city streets, my 2013 Energi gets 25 miles on EV before the ICE kicks in.  The HP battery is loosing some of its power as it ages.  I used to get 26-28 with an occasional 30 miles thrown in during the summer on city streets.  I usually figure a 10% reduction for highway driving at 65mph, a 20% reduction for highway driving at 75 mph, and a 10% reduction for outside temps of <50 degrees.  So, driving on the highway at 75 mph yields an EV range of 20 miles.

BTW last year I only used 8 gallons of gasoline and I did that deliberately because the gas was getting stale.  My lifestyle and driving habits are atypical.  I only have the car on the road for 8 months a year and as a retiree, my driving is confined to short trips to the gym, golf course, market, etc.  I get up, drive to the gym 6 miles round trip, then plug it in to the charger which brings me back up to 25 miles EV capacity.  We also have a Cmax Hybrid which we use for long trips. 

My daughter just purchased a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, a plug-in hybrid with an EV range of 33+ miles.  I'm eager to see how that one performs.

Personally, my next car will be the 2020 Escape Plugin Hybrid.  Hope that has a similar range to the Pacifica.

#59 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 394 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:35 PM

EV range lately has been 14 miles. Avg is 73.5 MPG.

#60 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,721 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:38 PM

jz:

73.5mpg, is that lifetime?  How many miles EV versus engine miles total?

-=>Raja.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·