Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

For a 2013 model, What EV range is everybody getting? What is your avg MPG?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:37 AM

The drive "down the hill" was fascinating. I drove in EV Later in the uphill sections and EV now with hill assist during the extensive down hill sections. I watched my battery recharge from 14 miles to 35 miles during the 60 mile run to Fountain Hills.

I think it's important to remember that when charging the battery, by plugging in or through regen, that in the end, you are just adding energy to the battery, not miles.  You can't stuff more energy in the battery than its capacity allows.  If you are seeing a range of 40+ miles, than you are driving super efficiently at sub 200 watts per mile.  Well done!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   bschwerdt

bschwerdt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 406 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationSyracuse, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 CMax Energi, 302A / 2012 Nissan Leaf SV

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:30 PM

I think it's important to remember that when charging the battery, by plugging in or through regen, that in the end, you are just adding energy to the battery, not miles.  You can't stuff more energy in the battery than its capacity allows.  If you are seeing a range of 40+ miles, than you are driving super efficiently at sub 200 watts per mile.  Well done!

To build on this, he was driving so efficiently because he was going down hill.  With a steep enough hill, one could drive downhill forever!

#23 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 366 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationHouston, Texas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A w. sun roof

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:32 PM

To build on this, he was driving so efficiently because he was going down hill.  With a steep enough hill, one could drive downhill forever!

forever ?

Maybe only in a black hole.

#24 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,721 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 20 June 2016 - 04:13 PM

I call it a free ride  :headspin:

I was in Troy VT a couple of weeks ago, on Saturday my wife and I went up to Jay Peak, its about an 8 mile drive from my friend's house, mostly uphill.  I got there with about 35% battery starting from 100%, and then when we left there it was a free ride back down, got back to his house with 38% battery.   Gotta love those downhill rides  :thumbsup:

-=>Raja.

#25 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,721 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:01 PM

Thanks Raja!  I'll tweak the setting you suggest to get the additional info.  I tend to drive with the blue bars screen (acceleration, braking, coasting?) and have been working hard to stay in that 75% or higher range.  The feathering breaking is also something I'm getting used to, with a target of at least being over 90% on average there.  I tend to do a lot of city stop and go driving, with very little freeway, so sometimes breaking has to be sudden when someone jumps in front of me.  And even when I drive freeway, its usually under 40 miles an hour stop and go.  

Anyhow, thanks for the tips.  I'm making my way through the old posts to pick up the tips, but some of them don't make sense as I drive.  I wish I could have one of you hyper efficient folks in the car to tell me what to do in the moment!  Until that happens, I'll just have to figure it out more slowly via the forums :)  I'll post another topic of my own when I gather enough of a list of questions to warrant it.  Thanks all!

Hey Marylee,

Glad to be of help!  You can work on those bars and if you try hard enough within a couple of weeks I think you should be able to max them out.  Use the Empower screen to show you the bars while stepping on the accelerator, and keep it no more than 2 bars.  Take off slow, brake early, and strive for 100% brake score.  All that will increase your range, and soon you will see higher and higher fully charged range numbers.

I would love to be in the car with you to coach you as you drive, I'd say you'd learn alot fast in one day you might learn as much as it takes you to figure out in 6 months on your own.  But Atlanta and Boston are way too far apart, however, if you ever find yourself in the Boston area let me know, we can certainly get together and talk Cmax, and go for a drive as well and explain all the things you need to know.

All the best and enjoy your new Maxie!

-=>Raja.

#26 OFFLINE   bschwerdt

bschwerdt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 CMax Energi, 302A / 2012 Nissan Leaf SV

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:58 AM

I call it a free ride  :headspin:

I was in Troy VT a couple of weeks ago, on Saturday my wife and I went up to Jay Peak, its about an 8 mile drive from my friend's house, mostly uphill.  I got there with about 35% battery starting from 100%, and then when we left there it was a free ride back down, got back to his house with 38% battery.   Gotta love those downhill rides  :thumbsup:

-=>Raja.

This is one of the little joys I get out of the CMax.  Before it, I was driving an Insight, with a tiny 500Wh battery (yes, 0.5kWh)!  Going down even a modest hill would completely fill the battery, and regen would just cut out.  With the CMax, I haven't found a hill in the northeast yet that can completely fill the CMax's battery.  It can keep up with even the mountain passes in Vermont.  Combined with the hill assist feature, what's not to love?

#27 OFFLINE   eppyphotog

eppyphotog

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 52 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationPhoenix AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max 303A

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:37 AM

Levi,
When the battery got to full charge the car automatically switched to AUTO mode. That was the only mode available. With a full battery going downhill, regen was also shut down as applying brakes showed no spinning regen symbol. Going uphill I used EV later as I wanted the ICE to turn on. Whenever I've driven in AUTO mode on the highway the car will eat up the HVB until zero and then switch to hybrid/ ICE operation. I was trying to see if the long downhill run would let me recharge the HVB to full. I think in AUTO on the downhill run with its occasional uphill would have depleted the battery trying to maintain the speed limit(65) and keeping up with traffic. I am not against using the ICE on highway runs as all my local driving is EV. I am always interested in learning new ways to extend the my EV driving with this vehicle. On my next airport run, 15 miles from the house,on a highway at 55mph, I am going to try driving in AUTO mode and see how that works. I appreciate everyone's valuable info in making this vehicle the best driving experience!!!

Edited by eppyphotog, 21 June 2016 - 06:39 AM.

#28 OFFLINE   eppyphotog

eppyphotog

• 52 posts
  • LocationPhoenix AZ

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:41 AM

I think it's important to remember that when charging the battery, by plugging in or through regen, that in the end, you are just adding energy to the battery, not miles. You can't stuff more energy in the battery than its capacity allows. If you are seeing a range of 40+ miles, than you are driving super efficiently at sub 200 watts per mile. Well done!

Driving efficiently is my goal! On Monday, yesterday, my mileage estimator started out at the 42 miles. I drove 3 miles before having to get on the highway for a client meeting across the Valley. Switched to EV later for the 20 miles to the location. Off highway, EV now. Same routine returning home. I find for me this to be the most efficient way to use this vehicle in local/ highway driving as my trip mileage is usually in the mid 50mpgs.
The A/C in this car is excellent also. It was 120 degrees yesterday and the car was a cool 73 with the car using about a half bar of energy. Thanks again for all the great suggestions. This forum supplies us with all the information that Ford should be espousing!

Edited by eppyphotog, 21 June 2016 - 07:01 AM.

#29 ONLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:56 AM

Levi,
When the battery got to full charge the car automatically switched to AUTO mode. That was the only mode available. With a full battery going downhill, regen was also shut down as applying brakes showed no spinning regen symbol. Going uphill I used EV later as I wanted the ICE to turn on. Whenever I've driven in AUTO mode on the highway the car will eat up the HVB until zero and then switch to hybrid/ ICE operation. I was trying to see if the long downhill run would let me recharge the HVB to full. I think in AUTO on the downhill run with its occasional uphill would have depleted the battery trying to maintain the speed limit(65) and keeping up with traffic. I am not against using the ICE on highway runs as all my local driving is EV. I am always interested in learning new ways to extend the my EV driving with this vehicle. On my next airport run, 15 miles from the house,on a highway at 55mph, I am going to try driving in AUTO mode and see how that works. I appreciate everyone's valuable info in making this vehicle the best driving experience!!!

Yes, it depends on just when you topped off the battery going downhill.  If it was near the bottom then you would only want to switch to auto on the uphill portion for a very short period of time.

If you topped off the battery halfway down, then you'd want to allow it to use the battery going up for a longer period of time.  The highest efficiency goal being to reach 100% on the battery just at the point where you're going to need power again.

I've been playing with mine a bit more as well.  I've generally always just tried to get the best efficiency and used the battery up first unless there was a time where it made sense otherwise.

Last week I tried several more common routes to work focusing on more of a "normal" drive in EV instead of trying to be most efficient.  Though that's still limited by keeping the battery output below about 3 bars.  I've found that if I ask for around 3 bars or more from the battery for around 30-60 seconds it will turn on the ICE just about no matter what.

Anyway, I can go about 12 miles over dirt roads at speeds more like 30-50mph or about 13 miles on hill pavement at about 55mph, or about 15 miles on the highway at about 70mph.

All 3 resulted in about 125MPGe, the 13 and 15 mile routes take about the same amount of time, but the 12 mile one takes a little longer.  Battery remaining is notably more on the non-highway routes.

Then Friday I started trying the opposite and hitting EV later when I head to work.  Which means I start at 100%, EV later only lets you use up to 95%. I've seen it reach as low as 88% with the 95% set point.  Doing that results in about 50 or 56mpge for the shorter 2 routes.

Tried one return trip on EV now with a full charge.  That 14ish mile trip resulted in 1% remaining when I get to the top of the hill my house lives on. Got back to about 2 or 3% down to the driveway.  Also the first time I've heard a cooling fan running up in the engine compartment while only using EV and no AC.

Am curious to see how the highway route works in this configuration.  Pretty much sure it will run out of battery in the last few miles before home.  Well, actually I'm sure it will kick in the ICE anyway if I just set the cruise or try to get it to accelerate with any rate of speed up the first hill leaving town.  It just takes too much power.

#30 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,721 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:03 AM

Levi, welcome back, you've been "quiet" lately.

You shouldn't be trying to accelerate up hills with your battery, or using 3 bars of power constantly for a minute until the engine starts.

Too much draw from the battery you're overloading it, maybe spiking the temperature up and you're going to hurt your battery.  That's why the engine starts, the battery is not designed for that type of stress.

-=>Raja.

#31 ONLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:16 AM

You shouldn't be trying to accelerate up hills with your battery, or using 3 bars of power constantly for a minute until the engine starts.

Too much draw from the battery you're overloading it, maybe spiking the temperature up and you're going to hurt your battery.  That's why the engine starts, the battery is not designed for that type of stress.

-=>Raja.

That's kinda my feeling as well.  Meaning that this car may be fine in a lot of suburban environments, but it's just not made to survive long-term if used "normally" in environments like mine where the majority of the driving is either at 60 or 70mph depending on whether it's on the highway or not and involves decent hills(nothing like mountains found elsewhere).  

In my area if I drive it "normal" like anyone else on the road and I plug in the car and just leave it in auto ev mode, it's going to use more than 3 bars of power climbing hills for a period of time that's just long enough to get the ICE to kick on.

Makes me further question the amount of times I hear people say that the Prius didn't have enough power for them, but they're trying to stay in EV mode...  Cause other than maybe in the sub 30mph range, there is definitely less power in the Energi EV mode than there is in the Prius.

Sure, add the ICE to the game in the Energi and you've got the power that most people seem to deem "necessary" these days which I find just funny since it's about the same amount of power as the first Porsche 911 my uncle had that I drove.  Sure, it's fun, but I mean come on, really people?  We're not comfortable in cars unless they can make it to 60mph in 8 seconds?  Our Sienna is the same way.  Of course a minivan needs to be fast too!

I recall the Top Gear US episode from a year or two ago where they showed a Honda Odyssey(another minivan) literally outrunning the Ford Crown Vic police cruisers...

• stolenmoment likes this

#32 OFFLINE   eppyphotog

eppyphotog

• 52 posts
  • LocationPhoenix AZ

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:20 AM

Too much draw from the battery you're overloading it, maybe spiking the temperature up and you're going to hurt your battery. That's why the engine starts, the battery is not designed for that type of stress.

-=>Raja.

Raja, exactly why I won't use the battery on those uphill runs also. With outside temps in the 110s, my battery temp is already approaching the 115 degree limit, anything I can do not to stress it further, cold cabin, coasting, and ICE usage either voluntarily or not is a welcome effort. Only had the ICE start once in EV mode when stuck in traffic outside Palm Springs 2 weeks ago when outside temp was 117 and battery must have hit the high temp limit. Keeping my battery cool here in the desert during the summer is now my number one job. I will be trying to get conditioned air into the garage this summer. I have also delayed my charging to start at 3am. I plug the car in earlier and let the fan try to cool the battery.

#33 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,721 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:28 AM

Today I need to go see my brother in Boston.  There is a charger there, but its out in the open.  I told him I'm not going to come until evening, I for sure don't want to plug in my car there and charge it while its baking in the sun.

I need to go to the post office.  I usually drive to the big-y, plug in to charge, and walk to the post office.  But again today its sunny and its "hot" for us here, about 88F right now at 11:30am here.  I'm not going to do that either, need to protect the battery.  So I'll charge it in my garage in the shade there.  Its still cool in the garage, the doors are closed and the heat has not built up in there as of yet.

Eppy, last year I did put an AC in the garage window.   While it didn't make the garage 70's cool, it get it down maybe about 10 degrees from outside when it was in the 90's.  I think the unit I have is too small, as the garage is 20x20 with a high ceiling.

At the end of the day, we all bought this car with two complete propulsion systems.  The engine, and the battery.  Use the battery when it is advantageous and works best, but don't forget to use the engine when it can help the battery and keep stress off of it.  So many people get so hung up on using the battery only when perhaps they should have used the engine just because they want over 100mpg average, but in 2 to 3 years time the battery will be worn out and the engine is sitting like new waiting to be used.   May be best to shoot for around 68mpg average, use the battery in low power scenarios and use the engine on high power demands.

Eppy, AC in the garage for you might be a real good idea.  I'm concerned about your battery and all that 110+ heat you guys have out there.  I don't know how people live in that, I was there last September and at 112F one evening at 6pm I just couldn't bear it -- Like being in a sauna.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 21 June 2016 - 07:36 AM.

#34 ONLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:31 AM

With all this concern over battery temps and longevity, I'm very curious if anyone has gathered enough data from the Plug In Prius and the Volt to see how they handle things.  It would seem that since the PIP uses the same interior air cooling they would have the same problems.  And hopefully the Volt would be able to be driven however one would like and the liquid cooling would keep things happy...

#35 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:05 AM

With all this concern over battery temps and longevity, I'm very curious if anyone has gathered enough data from the Plug In Prius and the Volt to see how they handle things.  It would seem that since the PIP uses the same interior air cooling they would have the same problems.  And hopefully the Volt would be able to be driven however one would like and the liquid cooling would keep things happy...

I have to agree that the Volt is far better at managing the HVB battery temperature and they are very conservative on using the HVB capacity. This should meant that Volt owners should experience full HVB capacity for a long time. Time will tell.

Tom

#36 ONLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:33 AM

Hehe, tried the same EV Later(start at 100% but max setpoint is 95%) drive on the highway, eco cruise set to 69mph this morning.  Same elevation loss this direction.  Definitely a lot worse in EV Later mode.  Came in at about 43MPGe and I think about 93% battery charge as opposed to the other 2 routes that have a better hill at the end so I get done back at 100%.

Oh yeah and I did try the highway back home last night in EV mode.  As suspected, it took a while going up the hill to get it up to 69mph.  It did stay in EV mode most of the way, but this direction is mostly uphill to some degree so around maybe 8 miles in, the battery was down to around 15% and the engine was enabled for system performance.  It did that again just as I was getting off the highway and it had used up the battery by then.

Edited by Levi Smith, 22 June 2016 - 05:37 AM.

#37 OFFLINE   Marylee Polino Vetrano

Marylee Polino Vetrano

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
  • Current Vehicle:RubyRubyRubyRuby

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:47 AM

And now that I've changed my settings, my latest commutes have been in the 160-175 MPGe range.  So you're saying that continuous 'good' driving like that will gradually teach my car to up my battery range to display more than the 24ish I'm seeing now?

Attached Files

#38 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,721 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:58 AM

Yes Marylee, the higher the MPGe # the more range you will get.  160 is about 24 miles, 180 is about 28 miles, 215 is closer to 34 miles range.  So strive for higher MPGe numbers and the car will reward you with a higher fully charged expected range.

Look at my trips in the EV driving, you can see its possible to get more depending on how you drive.

-=>Raja.

#39 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:33 AM

I've had my 2013 for just over a week now, charging overnight on 110, and the estimation has gone up from 21 to 24 in the mornings.

#40 OFFLINE   Mikekoz

Mikekoz

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax Energi

Posted 11 November 2016 - 07:41 AM

My mileage continues to go down every month. It is now showing an average of 137 mpg. Ford checked my battery and said it was operating and charging normally. I drive pretty "normal". I do not speed, do not drive 45 in a 70mph zone, rarely turn on heat unless it is under 30 degrees outside (For some reason, car heat does not agree with me), and I do not accelerate quickly. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·