Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

For a 2013 model, What EV range is everybody getting? What is your avg MPG?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mikekoz

Mikekoz

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax Energi

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:14 AM

I am curious what these figures are for everybody else. I mentioned in another thread that my EV range has diminished after owning my car a few years, and thought I would start a new thread to ask this question. I realize that it may be hard to figure out how many miles your battery is getting before the car goes into hybrid mode. I only know how to "guesstimate" mine since I drive the same distance every day. I am getting about 10-15 miles out of a full charge. My avg MPG is at 148. All EV settings in the car are used at their defaults. As the title of this thread states, we have a 2013 model and it was purchased in May of 2014. Anybody want to chime in?

• miboje likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,723 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:53 AM

I'm getting close to 3 years old, car was built in June, I got it at the end of August 2013.  I have just about 48k miles, and I can get close to 30 miles on a charge in warm weather.  During the winter in the cold spells its a max of 22 miles with no heat.  I haven't tried lately the last time I used a full charge all EV I posted about it here.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 09 May 2016 - 11:54 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationcentral
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max energi, Fusion Ti Hy, Mustang GT, Triumph TR7

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:46 PM

My 2031 car was built in Nov 2012 and sat on the dealer lot until I bought it in September of 2014 (I got one heck of a deal on it and the warranty clock didn't start until I bought it).  It only has 9200 miles on it today.  I got 30 miles today for the first time this spring.  In the past summer I saw a high of 32 mi and in the winter it fell to 16 for the low.

Edited by tr7driver, 09 May 2016 - 12:46 PM.

• miboje likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:22 PM

My 2013 C-Max is now three years old and I have lost about 1kWh of capacity. I still get 22+ miles per charge. I recently changed driving patterns where I am driving a lot more on the interstate. I now reserve EV mode for lower speed roads and on the interstate in heavy stop and go driving. Due to the warm summer months coming  I limit charging to 1 to 1 1/2 charges per day to keep the HVB under 100ºf. 

Today outside temperature in the low 80s, on one charge and .8gal of gas using EV later and strategic use of the HVB over 31 miles of EV in a 57 mile round trip. Used 4.2kWh and got down to an estimated zero miles on the display. Some of the EV miles were regen miles but all an all it was a good trip. The HVB only reached 95ºf so I met my goal there as well. It is a shame I have to avoid afternoon charging in the hot weather but is should help preserve the HVB. See the attached trip log for details. I just had my annual inspection and they dropped the tire pressure back to factory specs. I am going to leave the pressure there for awhile just for the fun of it.

Tom

Attached Files

#5 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 698 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:01 AM

I get about 5.4KWH out of the battery.  

As for mileage/range that is HUGELY variable depending on conditions and I live in a hilly area.

I've seen it as low as around 14 or so miles.  I think I cleared 20 miles maybe once.  I'd say it's probably around 18 miles when the ICE kicks on for my usual commute.

#6 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:26 PM

I have about 27K on my 2013 purchased in June 2014 I get about 27-29 Miles for range  it has not really changed since I purchased it.

• miboje likes this

#7 OFFLINE   RobotsRock

RobotsRock

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationHouston TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi SEL 303 A with Panoramic Roof

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:56 PM

I have about 25k on my 2013 purchased in May 2013. I get 21 miles without using any auxiliaries (heat, ac), and only get 4.4 kWh out of it in Houston weather. Wish it was a little better, as my commute is 10.5 miles each way and I'm often coasting the last quarter mile trying to avoid the engine coming on...

• miboje likes this

#8 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 417 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:23 PM

I have 29,000 on my 2013, get around 4.3kW per charge, around 16-19 estimated EV miles.  My mileage shows in my signature - in 3 years I have filled up 32 times, overall at 81.4 MPG.  Yeah, I know, that includes miles offset by EV, but I don't care - still feels good to say it  :happy feet:

• miboje likes this

#9 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:46 AM

29000 miles or so, generally 20-24 EV only miles in warmer weather, winter more like 14-18.

nearly 90 mpg, mpge numbers in the 70's

Edited by RubyMax, 12 May 2016 - 03:48 AM.

• dontfret likes this

#10 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,723 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:09 PM

Verified 30 miles tonight (in the dark with headlights).  Would have been more during the day, about 30mpge higher 33 miles, see attached photo of daytime drive until I got on the highway and started the engine.

-=>Raja.

Attached Files

Edited by rbort, 14 May 2016 - 08:37 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   Mr. Green Jeans

Mr. Green Jeans

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIllinois
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:30 AM

I now have almost 18,000 miles on my 2013. EV range around 15 miles. Mpg 283. I think I last filled up in November and have over a half tank of gas left.

#12 OFFLINE   Mikekoz

Mikekoz

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax Energi

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:17 AM

Looks like some of you are getting close to what I am getting. Interesting. It also looks like I may be measuring this all wrong. My last few trips I have been paying attention to the info on the dash after I shut off the car. That is showing as 20 to 22 miles of EV each trip. Turning off the EV while I am going 70mph does not seem to affect this number. I was actually doing a direct measure earlier using the odometer to figure out how long the car was going on EV. I am not convinced, however, that the info on the dash in my car is accurate. Thanks for everybody's responses so far!  :smile2: 

#13 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 698 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:24 AM

Looks like some of you are getting close to what I am getting. Interesting. It also looks like I may be measuring this all wrong. My last few trips I have been paying attention to the info on the dash after I shut off the car. That is showing as 20 to 22 miles of EV each trip. Turning off the EV while I am going 70mph does not seem to affect this number. I was actually doing a direct measure earlier using the odometer to figure out how long the car was going on EV. I am not convinced, however, that the info on the dash in my car is accurate. Thanks for everybody's responses so far!  :smile2:

Not entirely sure what you're trying to measure, but there are a few possible complications to what you're describing...

-Turning EV off while doing 70mph...  

--If you mean you took it out of EV Now mode, then there's no guarantee that you would then start up the gas engine.  It is likely, but not guaranteed.

--Also, what the car calls "EV Miles" aren't plug-in only.  It seems any time the gas engine isn't running(like down hill or semi-frequently in all modes whether you're in "EV Only" or not) then those are EV miles as well.

It seems the only display that is actually a plug-in only measurement(if that's what you're trying to get) is the KWH used that is listed on the trip meter.

• Smiling Jack likes this

#14 OFFLINE   mitrals

mitrals

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 160 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationChicago IL
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Energi

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:27 AM

My car has 78k miles and I routinely get over 5.5kWh per charge. I only trickle charge in the night with a 110 volt charger with maybe one or two 220 volt public chargers a month

Attached Files

Edited by mitrals, 29 May 2016 - 04:30 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,723 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:01 AM

Your battery looks to be in excellent shape Mitrals  :happy feet:

-=>Raja.

#16 OFFLINE   Marylee Polino Vetrano

Marylee Polino Vetrano

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
  • Current Vehicle:RubyRubyRubyRuby

Posted 17 June 2016 - 11:32 AM

So I just bought my 2013 a month ago, and am still figuring out how to maximize my efficiency.  The last month I've been getting just under 20 electric miles per charge noted after a full charge, and that gets me 2 days of 4 miles each way work commutes (maybe with an extra waypoint in one or both of those days).  So probably not 20 real world electric miles.

Just the other day I charged at my work for the first time at a 220 outlet, and whereas my max reading was 20 miles available, this time it was at 24.  So I got excited, but it still got me around 20 miles.  But in the days since that, now my full charge seems to be 24.  So I'm not sure if that's me getting more efficient and the algorithm is reflecting my improved driving style, or?

Also, I don't understand everyone's talks of measuring the watts.  I've attached a screenshot of MFM to learn more - can someone help me to better understand that?

And finally, whoever the previous owner of my c-max was - thank you!  they left me with a 16k car with 11k of electric miles and a lifetime mpge of 100.7.  I'm down a few tenths on that lifetime average but as I get more comfortable driving the car, I hope to keep up the good work!

Attached Files

#17 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,723 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 17 June 2016 - 04:07 PM

Welcome aboard Marylee!   This is a whole new world now driving electric plug in hybrid cars so your first step as you ask is to improve your driving to maximize the efficiency.  The days of getting there as fast as you can are now replaced with getting there as efficient as you can!

To answer you question, I looked at your MFM log.  First off your driving score is quite "low" meaning there is alot of improvement you can do.  Look at the coach bars in the left screen, the blue bars, one for acceleration, one for braking, and one for cruise.  Some may be yellow but you should strive for full blue in the top 2 bars.  Cruise should be full blue for city driving, highway driving would be 1/2 blue, lower than 1/2 its yellow and your losing efficiency with excess air drag.

On your car, in left screen, under settings, you're going to find an option called display, and below that units, then fuel economy.  Under that option, set the selection to Fuel Only if you are going to use the engine, and Fuel and Electric if you are going to drive in electric mode only and not start the engine.  This will cause My Ford Mobile to report back your trip in MPGe when in electric and MPG when using gas and electric which in my opinion makes the best sense.

In MPGe when driving electric only, you want to maximize that number.  It can vary anywhere from less than 100 MPGe to over 200 MPGe.  The higher the number, the further you go.  Look at my post here for an example, I just posted it yesterday:

http://fordcmaxenerg...ce-score-today/

At over 200MPGe, the car can travel over 30 miles on 1 charge.  At under 100, its less than 16 miles.    In looking at your MFM report, you need to work on your acceleration and braking.    You should put the left screen in Empower mode, and use Auto mode (not EV) when driving electric.  In that case you look at the blue dash marks, there are 4 of them before you reach the top and the engine starts.  From now on if you want high efficiency you should only use at most 2 bars of power (2 dash marks).  At first you may need to watch this more closely to gage your foot on the accelerator, later on you will get the feel for it.  When it comes to braking, brake early and lightly.   Meaning when you see a green light ahead just turn yellow, brake lightly and you speed should drop like 1 to 2 mph per second, don't wait until you're one top of the light and go from 40 to 0 in 5 seconds.   Brake score at the end of the braking will tell you how you did.  If its not 100% you need to work on it until you get 100% almost every time, if not every time.  The better you brake, the more energy goes back into the car, the longer your brake pads and tires will last, and the further you go on electric.  Look at my log above, its almost a perfect day, two minor braking "mistakes" of less than 100%, but I still make 99% overall brake score on a couple of the trips and 100% on the others.  The hardest part that gets me is a light the changes to yellow at the last possible moment, and when you had to stop hard its bad, the coach bar drops to 3/4 easily even 1/2 sometimes from full blue and you have to build it back up over time.

The range will continue to improve with your improved driving, and likewise continue to decline with your haste driving.    Its an estimate on how you did in the recent past.  In warm weather if you do well you should be able to see 30 miles on 1 full charge.    Right now I plugged in my car to charge after last night's use, and its showing 6 out of 31 miles range when full.  The car bases it on the fact that yesterday I drove into Cambridge and 29 miles with 5 miles to go (total 34 miles range) and on the way back 28 miles with none left.  31 is an average of the recent performance of about 200MPGe.

There is alot to learn about this car, this is just touching on the surface, but its the most enjoyable car to drive it really is a challenge and exciting when you're trying to get somewhere far on battery and wondering if you're going to be able to make it.

Let us know when you have other questions (I'm sure those will come!) and welcome aboard!

-=>Raja.

#18 OFFLINE   Marylee Polino Vetrano

Marylee Polino Vetrano

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
  • Current Vehicle:RubyRubyRubyRuby

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:35 AM

Thanks Raja!  I'll tweak the setting you suggest to get the additional info.  I tend to drive with the blue bars screen (acceleration, braking, coasting?) and have been working hard to stay in that 75% or higher range.  The feathering breaking is also something I'm getting used to, with a target of at least being over 90% on average there.  I tend to do a lot of city stop and go driving, with very little freeway, so sometimes breaking has to be sudden when someone jumps in front of me.  And even when I drive freeway, its usually under 40 miles an hour stop and go.  

Anyhow, thanks for the tips.  I'm making my way through the old posts to pick up the tips, but some of them don't make sense as I drive.  I wish I could have one of you hyper efficient folks in the car to tell me what to do in the moment!  Until that happens, I'll just have to figure it out more slowly via the forums :)  I'll post another topic of my own when I gather enough of a list of questions to warrant it.  Thanks all!

#19 OFFLINE   eppyphotog

eppyphotog

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 52 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationPhoenix AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max 303A

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:58 AM

My wife and I decided to get out of the Valley of the Sun for early morning Father's Day trip "up" to Payson AZ from Phoenix. I know normally when people  say up to a place they usually mean "north" and down means "south" but in this case we actually went north and up in direction and elevation. Payson is approx. 5000"MSL. So the climb from Phoenix (1500'MSL) was interesting. We left at 6:30am, temps already in the 90s and drove EV for about 10 miles, switched to EV Later (reserving 17miles) when I started to hit Fountain Hills, our first real elevation change on the outskirts of Scottsdale. Hit Route 87 and did the speed limit of 65 on EcoCruise as we went uphill and downhill for the next 80 miles to Payson. A/C was set to 73˚. This heat wave hit the "rim country" of AZ as temps were close to 100˚ when we arrived at our final destination in a town just passed Payson named (Pine/Strawberry). Had breakfast, walked around the fair and decided it was time to head home.

The drive "down the hill" was fascinating. I drove in EV Later in the uphill sections and EV now with hill assist during the extensive down hill sections. I watched my battery recharge from 14 miles to 35 miles during the 60 mile run to Fountain Hills. The car exited EV charging mode when the battery reached 97%. Used EV Now for the flat part of the trip back to the house and had 15 miles remaining. Temps in Phoenix were 118-120˚ the rest of Sunday and tried to cool the garage as best as possible. I plugged the car in to get the fans going but charging was set to start at 3am. The batteries had 15 hours to cool. This morning in MFM I had 42 miles showing on a full charge. I am attaching at couple of images for the ride up and down the hill to Payson. I hope everyone is enjoying this amazing vehicle that Ford has put on the road. I really don't think Ford even knows how good a vehicle they have designed.

Thanks for listening to my story.

Trip to Payson
Charged to 42 miles

#20 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 698 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:23 AM

Sounds like you would have been better off using Auto mode up some or all of those hills instead of wasting some of the downhill energy into either spinning the ICE and/or friction brakes after you topped off the battery.

The drive "down the hill" was fascinating. I drove in EV Later in the uphill sections and EV now with hill assist during the extensive down hill sections. I watched my battery recharge from 14 miles to 35 miles during the 60 mile run to Fountain Hills. The car exited EV charging mode when the battery reached 97%. Used EV Now for the flat part of the trip back to the house and had 15 miles remaining. Temps in Phoenix were 118-120˚ the rest of Sunday and tried to cool the garage as best as possible. I plugged the car in to get the fans going but charging was set to start at 3am. The batteries had 15 hours to cool. This morning in MFM I had 42 miles showing on a full charge. I am attaching at couple of images for the ride up and down the hill to Payson. I hope everyone is enjoying this amazing vehicle that Ford has put on the road. I really don't think Ford even knows how good a vehicle they have designed.

Thanks for listening to my story.

• eppyphotog likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·