Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Dashcam advice?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   campngolf

campngolf

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationNorCal
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:55 PM

So I'm seriously thinking of installing a dashcam.Too many crazies like bad drivers, jaywalkers, panhandlers on the median, cyclist crossing in middle of the block, etc.I figure it'll more than pay for itself should I be unlucky and have an incident. 

I'm looking at the BlackVue 2 channel (front and rear cameras) that I would hardwire. Anybody else have a similar setup? Or any advice on tricks/tips/dangers? I usually stay away from electrical/wiring projects but this looks pretty straight forward and simple. Thanks.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   David Moore

David Moore

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationCape coral, Florida
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi and Toyota camry 2002

Posted 06 May 2016 - 02:29 AM

I use an 0806 mini. I haven't had any of the issues that other owners have had with theirs on dashcam talk. I do have to use the cpl filter becuase of the slope on the windshield. I have mine up tight behind the rear view mirror and just ran the cable down the pillar and into the socket near the gear leaver. I have familiarized myself on how to turn the mic on and off. Generally I leave it off because if I'm in an accident I don't want it transpiring that I may be have been in conversation with the wife or on the phone, but if I'm pulled over for anything I want to be able to record what's being said.

The blackvue is a premium camera (with a premium price). That wasn't an option for me as I had to get a camera for my wife's car and one for my work truck too. The work truck one will be a capacitor type as there is no tint in the vehicle to reject any heat from the Florida sunshine. During hot days, I often see "memory card error" on the screen of my wife's camera.

Finally, watch how you drive. It's a well documented fact that owners of dash cams tend to drive that bit more aggresively. Maybe thsts the wrong word for it but recently in the U.K a lorry driver's dash cam footage worked against him after a judge remarked that the lorry driver made no attempt to back off after a car driver cut in front of him after overtaking on a solid white line.

Good luck with your camera.

#3 OFFLINE   astrand1

astrand1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 302 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationDetroit
  • Current Vehicle:Me= 2014 C-Max Energi 302a, White platinum metallic. wife= 2014 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:57 AM

I have the Garmin 20 dash cam. Love it. Never have issues with it. I do like your idea of a front and rear setup but at least I have something which is better than nothing! Lol

#4 OFFLINE   ls973800

ls973800

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:Replaced Ford Edge

Posted 06 May 2016 - 04:35 AM

I just received my Mini 0805 Dash Cam yesterday!  Been wanting to install one for the last several years, finally went ahead and did it.  Since this is the first cam I have ever had, I wanted to stay with something that was pretty well feature equipped, but also something that was pretty affordable.  I paid $79.00 with free shipping from Amazon.

Haven't mounted it in either car yet (I will be using Velcro so I can transfer it from car to car) but did do some driving with it while my wife held it on top of the dash.  Worked pretty well and looking forward to getting it mounted in the cars.  I have the GPS with no internal memory,  it uses a SDHC Mini 32GB card.

Here is one site I used to help decide what I wanted for my first dash cam.  I am sure there are other sites, but this one also has a forum where I was able to find more information about other models and brands also.

Recommendations from this website      https://dashcamtalk.com/  

Forums for most brands here                https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/

#5 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:26 PM

I had the Mini 0803 Dash Cam. It worked great until it died. The thing always ran quite hot and I think it was the heat that killed it. The windshield is a very hostile environment in this part of the country. If I ever get another one I will use it selectively and never leave it exposed to the sun in cabin when the car is parked. 

Tom

#6 OFFLINE   yeedk

yeedk

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationRichmond Hill
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:08 PM

I installed a Street Guardian SGZC12RC and mounted it on the rain sensor cover.  The rain sensor is large and blocks the view from most standard mounting locations.  Also I hard wired to the passenger fuse box, ignition powered fuses in that location stay on for 10min after turning off, so take some time to locate. 

#7 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,251 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 07 May 2016 - 05:04 AM

Yet another solution,  I got one of these http://www.amazon.co...ailpage_o00_s00   that was recommended on another forum for my wife's OutBack.  It has a very small form factor and is out of sight when placed behind the rear view mirror.  

I removed the 12v plug and used one of these http://www.amazon.co...ailpage_o01_s00 and one of these http://www.amazon.co...ailpage_o01_s00  to install it to the fuse block and hooked the ground wire to the dash frame.  The camera mount is attached to the windshield with 3M tape and has survived one removal due to windshield replacement and is still holding strong.  The camera breaks the continuous video into small files with time stamps so it's easier to find something you're looking for.  The memory cards load and play with no issues on my Mac.  It's been running fine for nearly 20 months even through the Texas heat.

Edited by fotomoto, 07 May 2016 - 02:36 PM.

• dr61 likes this

#8 OFFLINE   ls973800

ls973800

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:Replaced Ford Edge

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:51 AM

fotomoto, was the second link you posted supposed to be another link for the camera or something else?

#9 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,251 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 07 May 2016 - 02:37 PM

fotomoto, was the second link you posted supposed to be another link for the camera or something else?

Opps, yeah redundant link... I fixed it now.  Thx

#10 OFFLINE   campngolf

campngolf

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationNorCal
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:32 PM

Thanks fotomoto for the links. It's always great to hear what is working for others. I'm still in research mode. I 'm hopeful this will be my Father's Day gift.

#11 OFFLINE   scott2353

scott2353

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationDhaka,bangladesh
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:BMW

Posted 16 July 2016 - 11:12 AM

weeeeeeeeeeew.....thanks,........helpfull for me.........!!!!!!!!!!

#12 OFFLINE   ldcarson

ldcarson

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Region:South America
  • LocationBuenos Aires, Argentina
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 31 July 2016 - 03:24 PM

I have the BlackVue  2 channel 650 DWG.  I love the camera.  Even though its compatible for a 128GB card, I have tried several and after a month they stop working.  The sweet spot is the 64GB Card.  Cameras work well at night and day.  I have them hard wired with the Magic box, and have not had any issues with them at all.  As I am in Argentina I don't have the "Internet" where the car is parked in the Garage (Apartment building) so I can't use the "Cloud" version, but am really happy with the camera set.  So I bought a second system for the wifes Minivan.

#13 OFFLINE   Matthew Skib

Matthew Skib

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX ENERGI

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:16 PM

I installed a Street Guardian SGZC12RC and mounted it on the rain sensor cover.  The rain sensor is large and blocks the view from most standard mounting locations.  Also I hard wired to the passenger fuse box, ignition powered fuses in that location stay on for 10min after turning off, so take some time to locate.

Where did you connect the ground cable?

#14 OFFLINE   yeedk

yeedk

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationRichmond Hill
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:01 AM

There is a metal piece located near the bottom of the glove compartment plastic trim.  I used an existing bolt near the center console attach to the metal piece as ground.

#15 OFFLINE   Matthew Skib

Matthew Skib

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX ENERGI

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:56 PM

There is a metal piece located near the bottom of the glove compartment plastic trim.  I used an existing bolt near the center console attach to the metal piece as ground.

Thanks. I'm amazed you have a c-max in Ontario. cant say I saw many when I lived there last year.

#16 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 129 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationIllinois
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:26 AM

Just picked up a dash cam to replace the ancient one we had in the Cadillac we traded in on the C-Max. Caddy had a good location in the passenger footwell for the power plug. Don't see anything like that for the C-Max, so may need to hard wire. I don't have camera available now, but I would guess it runs on 5v, so I would guess a straight fuse tap would not work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·