Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Are LED lights available for the Energi?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   leonardz

leonardz

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Locationcanada
  • Current Vehicle:ruby red cmax energi 302: formerly Acura MDX

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:04 AM

I am looking at several cars, the Energi being one of them. The headlights are halogen. Though not standard the Prius Plugin can be ordered with LED headlights. Why not the Energi? Yet another few watts saved. Does anyone know, and if not from the dealer , is there an aftermarket replacement that would work?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   sean.havins

sean.havins

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 173 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationLoveland, Colorado, USA, Earth, Sol
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:39 AM

Here is a thread that may help:
http://www.cmaxowner...side-out-10096/

I was wondering the same and may convert mine too.

#3 OFFLINE   mikeb

mikeb

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 264 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:12 AM

A LED headlight is very difficult to build, and there's precious few car makers that have done it so far. Ford is not one of them. Aftermarket LEDs exist, but only for a very small list of cars (and motorcyles). I'd love to have one, but expect it'll have to wait until my next car purchase, 5+ years down the line.

HID, on the other hand, is also more efficient than halogen, and just about every manufacturer has them. The european C-Max has HID as an option, but they aren't available here. There is an ebay seller with the OEM european HID headlight assemblies for the 2010 C-Max, but I don't know if they will fit the 2013 models we have or not (and then you still need to install a ballast and get all the wiring and onboard computer satisfied). No aftermarket HID lights are available for the C-Max yet, but I'm sure there's a few companies working on getting one made. Probably just a matter of time, and then we'll have the choice of a Ford option or aftermarket.

Just a note: there's lots of aftermarket 'conversion' kits for HID, where you replace the H11 halogen bulb but keep the current reflector assembly. These are illegal and unsafe, since the beam pattern gets all messed up by the bulb differences. A proper HID upgrade requires getting a headlight assembly (reflector or projector) designed for an HID bulb.

Edited by mikeb, 01 December 2012 - 07:12 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   jeffegg2

jeffegg2

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 187 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Locationwestland, mi.
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

I picked up a couple of LED bulbs, and was thinking of changing out the fog light bulbs with them. But how the heck do you remove the old ones???

#5 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:57 PM

I'm considering upgrading the low beam to a brighter bulb with a slightly wider field. There aren't too many options out there and was looking at the Sylvania Xtra Vision H11. Has anyone upgraded their stock headlamps to a different bulb and which one did you go with?

#6 OFFLINE   62Lincoln

62Lincoln

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:In Transition

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:38 AM

I'm considering upgrading the low beam to a brighter bulb with a slightly wider field. There aren't too many options out there and was looking at the Sylvania Xtra Vision H11. Has anyone upgraded their stock headlamps to a different bulb and which one did you go with?

Here's a discussion from the C-Max Hybrid forum; it drifts off topic, but contains some ideas:  http://fordcmaxhybri...l-ultra-vision/

#7 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

I guess I wasn't very clear in my post. I'm looking to upgrade the halogen bulbs to a brighter, wider beam. It would have been nice if HID's were standard or part of a package with the C-Max. As nice as they would be, there are too many posts in forums across the interweb of trouble retrofitting HID's and I don't have the where with all or patience to do it myself.

#8 OFFLINE   TopherTheME

TopherTheME

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:27 PM

LED's for things like tail lights and turn signals make sense but they don't work very well for heat lamps. LED's don't produce a lot of heat, but have a lot of localized heating. This gives them a shorter life and makes them not as efficient as you might think (but still of course better than halogens) and come with a very large price tag. The other problem is that since they don't generate much heat the light assemblies tend to fog up very easily and can't defog. Hence why most LED head lamps are very small in size (ex, the Jeep Cherokee).

#9 OFFLINE   ecraigsmit

ecraigsmit

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationCT
  • Current Vehicle:2013 cmax energi

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:44 AM

I picked up a couple of LED bulbs, and was thinking of changing out the fog light bulbs with them. But how the heck do you remove the old ones???

I just did this.  Remove the front tires, loosen the wheel well surround (black plastic piece), you need to remove 5-6 screws and pull the front section into the wheel area, reach in and remove the bulb from the housing, unclip the bulb from the harness and replace with new bulbs.  I used some projector LED bulbs that I bought off Amazon. They look great and use less energy but the light output is slightly less than the stock bulbs.  I want to use them as DRL's only so they work fine for that purpose. 

#10 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 31 May 2014 - 03:41 PM

I just ordered rear brake and rear amber turn lights from Amazon. I went looking for a dead pedal cover and ended up with bulbs, go figure.

#11 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:19 PM

I received the amber turn signal lamps today. I installed one bulb and checked it for polarity and brightness and it was blinking erratically. Was the blink sequence off because I hadn't replaced both sides? I decided to put the incandescent bulb back for now until the other LED  lamps arrive.

#12 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:45 PM

I received the amber turn signal lamps today. I installed one bulb and checked it for polarity and brightness and it was blinking erratically. Was the blink sequence off because I hadn't replaced both sides? I decided to put the incandescent bulb back for now until the other LED lamps arrive.

Probably would need a resistor with the LED bulb so it draws the same amount of power as the incandescent bulb... Otherwise you will need to change your blinker relay.

#13 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

Probably would need a resistor with the LED bulb so it draws the same amount of power as the incandescent bulb... Otherwise you will need to change your blinker relay.

I don't think blinker relays are used. The turn signal bulbs seem to be controlled by computer modules nearest. For instance, I found the turn signals on the external mirrors are controlled by the left and right door modules while the bulbs in the headlight assembly are controlled by the Body Control Module. Not sure where the rear bulbs are connected.

However, those modules may be monitoring the current drawn by those bulbs to make sure they haven't burned out. So you may need a resistor in parallel to make sure they draw about the same amount of current as the original bulbs.

#14 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

However, those modules may be monitoring the current drawn by those bulbs to make sure they haven't burned out. So you may need a resistor in parallel to make sure they draw about the same amount of current as the original bulbs.

After doing some Google searches, that's what I concluded as well. I'm not an electrician, and of all my jack of all trades, master of none skills, electrical is the weakest, although I am able to splice two wires together. I'm not sure I want to alter the wiring so soon and still under warranty. jdbob, thanks for confirming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·