Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for advice on a new purchase

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bschwerdt

bschwerdt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 426 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationSyracuse, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 CMax Energi, 302A / 2017 Chevrolet Bolt Premier

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:21 AM

That's probably the most economical way to buy any car on the market.  Although buying a car that someone else leased (and knew they were not going to keep) comes with its own set of risks.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   bro1999

bro1999

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 499 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Locationmaryland
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Chevy Volt / 2017 Volt / 2017 Bolt EV

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:01 AM

That's probably the most economical way to buy any car on the market.  Although buying a car that someone else leased (and knew they were not going to keep) comes with its own set of risks.

I leased my '13 Energi with thoughts I may purchase it if Ford was willing to negotiate on the residual buyout price. Unfortunately, Ford does not negotiate residuals, so I ended up turning it in. Buyout price was $20.9k, and I paid $8,200 in total lease costs over 24 months (taxes and fees included), so it would have cost right around $30k total if I had bought the lease out. MSRP was $38.5k I believe.

If I had purchased outright, total OOP would have been right around $30k as well, after fed/state credits and taxes/fees.

However, my C-Max was only worth 13.5k at the end of the lease (that's how much it sold at auction). It showed up for sale at $16.5k at a random dealer in the Midwest shortly after. If I had been really determined to buy my C-Max after turning it in, I likely could have gotten it for about about $16k after taxes/fees. So I would have saved over $4k-5k compared to buying it outright initially.

Leasing is just another form of financing. Most of the time, there is little difference compared to outright purchases as long as the leasing company passes on the full fed tax credit to you.

#23 OFFLINE   xytiz

xytiz

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Locationsan franscisco
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:ls400

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:32 PM

I am getting a lease return cmax for 14K + tax + doc fee + lic fees .. It has 28K miles on it.

I am not completely sure if I should buy the car. My wife however loves the car for all its jazz with sony system .. 

Car is relatively quieter and CVT seems to become to smooth after gear change happens and settles down, I can live with that.

1) How reliable are these cars ?

2) I do not see many cars over magic figure for reliably i..e 100K or even close to 100K 

3) The car seems to depreciate very fast any particular reason ?

4) Ford claims the battery is lithium and is better than nickel cad batteries is that true ? Then whats the heating issue people talk about .. ?

5) Seating position is great but seats are relatively small and for a person with long legs its sort of not very comfortable ? Does any tall drivers get back aches on long drives ? 

6) I am not able to get much info on the safety rating too..

7) Toyota can tell/ show the health of the battery and hence an educated guess can be done on their longevity. however on ford c-max I did not find any such information.

8) Ford has been doing hybrids for a long time now , I am hoping their system is stable , please advice. 

Thanks each and everyone for your time and inputs.

#24 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:04 AM

I am getting a lease return cmax for 14K + tax + doc fee + lic fees .. It has 28K miles on it.

I am not completely sure if I should buy the car. My wife however loves the car for all its jazz with sony system .. 

Car is relatively quieter and CVT seems to become to smooth after gear change happens and settles down, I can live with that.

1) How reliable are these cars ?

2) I do not see many cars over magic figure for reliably i..e 100K or even close to 100K 

3) The car seems to depreciate very fast any particular reason ?

4) Ford claims the battery is lithium and is better than nickel cad batteries is that true ? Then whats the heating issue people talk about .. ?

5) Seating position is great but seats are relatively small and for a person with long legs its sort of not very comfortable ? Does any tall drivers get back aches on long drives ? 

6) I am not able to get much info on the safety rating too..

7) Toyota can tell/ show the health of the battery and hence an educated guess can be done on their longevity. however on ford c-max I did not find any such information.

8) Ford has been doing hybrids for a long time now , I am hoping their system is stable , please advice. 

Thanks each and everyone for your time and inputs.

I can help with a few of your questions. 

1, A few people have reported major issues but these mostly show little or no pattern. One exception is the 12V battery. Problems with Dead 12V batteries seems common and I have replaced mine twice in 3 1/2 years. There have been quite a few recalls that mostly involve programming upgrades. I do have outstanding recalls for a door latch and the 3G modem update. The modem is on order and will wait for it  before taking it in for those issue.

3, The depreciation  has been rather high. Factoring in the tax credits and some states incentives is a large factor. This is good news for buyers of used C-Max's with a feature rich car for a reasonable price.

4, The lithium battery is newer technology weights less per kWh that the Nicad batteries. Heat is very much a factor in the life of the HVB. I have seen a 1kWh drop in capacity following a summer of high heat where I allowed the battery to overheat. The following hotter summer the HVB was better controlled by actively monitoring the HVB temp using a ScanGauge and modifying/limiting the use of full EV the keep the HV  as 102ºf or lower. I have had no further loss of capacity. 

8, So far so good but I only have 49k miles in 3 1/2 years. 

Tom

#25 OFFLINE   C-Maximus

C-Maximus

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 31 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationNorthEast
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:SAAB 9-5 SportCombiwagon Aero Turbo

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:28 PM

I have to give the first out of the box buyers credit.  We were going to purchase in 2013, but due to a rude salesman, we didn't.  The nice thing is that we get to learn from the people who bought first.

I would say that a 28K mile CMAX for 14K is a steal for what you get with the car.  Most people have never heard of the CMAX hybrid, let alone the energi.  There are a number of CMAX energi's over 150K, so I wouldn't worry too much about reliability.  Most likely, the long term problems are going to be either electrical or with the eCVT.  I don't see issues with the ICE or other part of the car (like suspension, brakes, etc.).

So, I purchased a new CMAX energi, even knowing everything posted on this board.  I would have no problem buying a used one.  But then again, I just refurbished a HCH battery by pulling the individual sticks, so my level of expertise working with hybrids is quite high.

Edited by C-Maximus, 24 January 2017 - 01:29 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:30 PM

Go here for safety information

http://www.iihs.org/...id-4-door-wagon

#27 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWV
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:FOrd

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:14 AM

I bought a 2013 with 40k last month. $12,900. 303A package with roof. New tires. It was a little more miles than I wanted but I would have had to travel a long ways to buy another. This was one of the few or only local ones. I've not seen another (I have seen a couple standard Hybrids). I took it to the local Ford dealer for the modem recall and mine was the first they had in for that. The previous owner had zero problems with it. Their daughter was going off to college and they wanted to get her an AWD vehicle. 

I read to avoid the 2013's but so far I absolutely love it. I live 20 miles from work and even being winter I've been able to glide into the parking lot not using a drop of gas. I hope with time and longer days and warmer weather I still have some left over. 

I should note......the car was traded in back in July. It sat with no interest. (GMC dealer had it). When I went to look at it the battery was dead. Jumped and there has been no problems with it since. So while my experience is short I would say go for it. I love mine.

Edited by Perry Knopp, 25 January 2017 - 10:15 AM.

#28 OFFLINE   C-Maximus

C-Maximus

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 31 posts
  • LocationNorthEast
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:SAAB 9-5 SportCombiwagon Aero Turbo

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:46 AM

I bought a 2013 with 40k last month. $12,900. 303A package with roof. New tires. It was a little more miles than I wanted but I would have had to travel a long ways to buy another. This was one of the few or only local ones. I've not seen another (I have seen a couple standard Hybrids). I took it to the local Ford dealer for the modem recall and mine was the first they had in for that. The previous owner had zero problems with it. Their daughter was going off to college and they wanted to get her an AWD vehicle. 

I read to avoid the 2013's but so far I absolutely love it. I live 20 miles from work and even being winter I've been able to glide into the parking lot not using a drop of gas. I hope with time and longer days and warmer weather I still have some left over. 

I should note......the car was traded in back in July. It sat with no interest. (GMC dealer had it). When I went to look at it the battery was dead. Jumped and there has been no problems with it since. So while my experience is short I would say go for it. I love mine.

Great price.  40K miles is just a baby.  New cars routinely exceed 200K and I have routinely bought cars with 100K and drove them for another 150K.  The nice thing about buying a car with that much mileage is that most are in the $4-6K range.  It makes your cost of ownership very low.

• Perry Knopp likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·